VR World Scale

How do you feel how good the World Scale is in VR? I have Quest 2 and i feel that the C152 feels too small looking at the yoke and its travel and so on. NOW i have flown a real C152 and i KNOW it is a dang small airplane, yet i still think it’s a tad off in the game, but i am not sure. How do you feel? Anyway, most sims have world scale setting, i’d hope one for this too.

5 Likes

it was mentioned by some in the beta that it did feel a bit small.

I mean, it doesn’t feel small as it does compacted. Like i got up and walked around the flight deck of the 747 and there was just tiny eensty bit of claustrophobia

When i mean “got up and walked around” i mean i literally got up out of my chair and walked around. I’ll tell you, my body was having trouble staying balanced because it felt like i was really standing up in the plane (which if you’ve flown commercially before is not 100% smooth). I actually almost ate it trying to grab onto the jumpseat

4 Likes

Yeah I have noticed this too. The C152 seems really tiny, like I would need tweezers to operate the yoke kind of tiny. I get that it’s a small plane but the seat is like a child sized seat right now, way too small.

I think a ‘world scale’ setting would be the ideal solution, if possible, like they have in the Aerofly FS2 simulator. There is such a variance in hardware, software and physical factors (IPD and lenses etc) that no one setting for the scale will feel right for everyone. It would really help to be able to adjust it to our own liking.

1 Like

There were multiple wishes for a scale slider in VR beta. But the devs didn’t react until today.

2 Likes

This is the first thing that jumped out to me as a problem as I started trying VR today and main reason I came to the forum. Everything is too small in the cockpit . It does not feel like I’m in a real plane, it feels like I’m squished into a 3/4 model or something. This is really breaking the immersion for me.

I wonder how VR game developers deal with this normally? I don’t think I’ve had this problem in any other VR game. Do the developers need to code custom FOVs for different headsets?

3 Likes

Hi,
Are the devs reading the forums ? I had eyestrain after 5 minutes. I have a valve index and an ipd of 70mm. I know that eyestrain, because I had it before from a wrong ipd settings in a game. The consequence is that it is really hard on my right eye. I don’t have issues with other sims, just star wars squadron where I had to correct it in a file, despite other people not seeing a difference. Most people were trying to fix world scale. I needed to fix , wrong ipd = crosseye, which is much worse.
I really hope that FS2020 reads out the values from the headset setup ! Anybody having ‘crosseye’ issues in the sim ?

2 Likes

Yeah, scale is way too small. I have an OG Vive and if I manually adjust my ipd to the lowest setting the scale gets a bit better but then I almost get cross eyed as that ipd is totally wrong for me. I do not understand as something so basic as a VR scale has not been implemented. On the whole, the experience is not too bad but the scale is just terrible!

1 Like

I think it seems equally as small as VR mode in X-Plane. Always felt like it was too small there too. Not sure what that means or if it is even a shared opinion but it might indicate that there is some sort of default scale at play. I am on the original HTC Vive BTW.

The scale seems fine to me in the Reverb G2.

1 Like

X-Plane is also small but you can change it in some .ini…although I don’t remember which one…

1 Like

I tried the C172, C152, b787 and A320

The C152 did feel too small for a human being, the rest of the planes felt just right in size, but I have no idea what causes this.

Change camera in cockpit from pilot to close. Voila real scale

1 Like

Agree with the OP, the scale is a bit off, using HTC Vive. I flew the C152 & C172, and both seemed too small.

+1 for a world scale slider.

So many other issues I didn’t want to mention this too… But yeah the CJ4 seems too small too… Its pretty close… But I think maybe 15-20% smaller than it should feel.

To really feel it, how I tested the CJ4… Is get up out of your seat in VR… Walk in the back of plane… (first time I ever been able to be back there (its very detailed)… And in real like you have to walk in the CJ4 kinda at a slant… But in game you have to practically bend all the way over not to run through the ceiling. LOL.

Yes, world scale is quite useful. Some see things as too small, others see things as too big.

What their reaction today, assuming you can say without breaking your NDA?

My IPD is exactly 65 wich is the default for most sims like DCS, IL2, X-plane and now msfs. Scale for me is about right. Dont forget, that cockpits, especially a 152, are very cramped and small. I had the chance to sit in a me 109E pit, and was amazed how small this actiûally is. I agree, a world-scale slider is needed.

Have you actually read my whole post? Because it is mentioned there… :slightly_smiling_face:

• What is your real IPD?
  • Also are you matching your real IPD with the G2 IPD adjustment, or are you for example forcefully using a different headset adjustment to get better vision (I do force it a little higher than my real IPD for example).

You might love contributing to the adventures here: :slightly_smiling_face:

[MegaThread] FS2020 Room Scale Adventure! - Virtual Reality (VR)

I believe there is a WMR (and most likely by extension WMR OpenXR) regarding IPD. I’ve noticed this already in the past with XP11 as if they are initializing the rendering with a fixed IPD at startup and then never change projection matrices from your hardware adjusted IPD (or software adjusted), they only change where on the panel the image displays (lateral shift only).

If any of you have ever sat in a Cessna 152 before, it is indeed VERY VERY small. I’m talking, claustrophobia-inducing small, touching shoulder-to-shoulder with someone else in the cockpit, and your other side pressing against the door.

Maybe some headsets do have a scaling issue – I’m not here to dismiss that. But I have seen this same problem mentioned many times with X-Plane too, and at least with my Rift CV1 and Quest 2 headsets, the cockpit scale is very true to real life. So I just want to emphasize how tiny general aviation cockpits are, for those who haven’t been inside them. They are restrictive to the point of not even allowing certain people to fit, if you are above a certain weight/size.

3 Likes

Are you sure? I have measured the width of the yoke of the C152 and it seems to be about 15cm, the size of my palm from the wrist to the tip of the fingers. is that THAT small? If so I’d be impressed.