VSYNC On Or OFF?

Thanks Schrute (and everyone else). I have a high end rig and DP monitor and everything’s been hunkey dokey with Vsync on so I’ll just leave it as is. BTW, love your moniker as it showed up in the email–Schrute Farms. Too funny.

1 Like

Vsync as it’s named in MSFS seems like a bit of a misnomer as it’s more an FPS lock. My screen is Freesync compatible which is supposed to work with GSync but when I turn it on my brightness gets much dimmer for some reason so I leave it off in nVidia CP. My screen (Hisense 55" U8G) also touts 120hz but all the text gets distorted when I set it to that. Think I read it doesn’t work when in game mode which defeats the purpose.

Anyhow, I just tested with Vsync off both in nVidia panel, as well as On in both with 60fps frame rate limit. I spawned a Beechcraft Bonanza on the runway in Honolulu and with both I got 45fps in the cockpit and 48fps outside view. However, when turning the camera with vsync off I got some screen tearing which was fairly obvious but not horrendous. With vsync on I got no screen tearing at all when turning the camera.

So, I would guess if you have a true 120hz screen that is G/Free sync capable you could just turn Gsync/Freesync ON in your GPU control panel and leave it off in MSFS. If you’re stuck with 60hz refresh rate you’ll likely want to keep it on in both the control panel and the Sim.

With vsync on and frames capped at 60, I’ve noticed a marked reduction in the duration and frequency of stuttering during flights and when using the in-game cameras.

1 Like

Is that vsync on in MSFS, or via Nvida? Despite being the same setting, I think they conflict?

Both, at least that’s what numerous threads mentioned back when I was trying all the different methods to minimize stuttering since SU5

With my system I hardly notice any difference with vsync on or off while gsync is enabled, but its butter smooth with both on.

This is about as much as I know about vsync+gsync
G-Sync + V-Sync - caps the frame rate to the monitors refresh.

G-Sync - V-Sync - means G-sync is active up through the monitors refresh, then syncing is disabled and as many frames that can be displayed as possible will be, this includes tearing. If it dips below the refresh G-sync will take over again.

I would like to know your detail without going into too much detail if you get me, be interested to know :slight_smile:

Same with my setup. That works best.

G-Sync compatible monitors only work down to 48 fps, thats why you need both V-Sync and G-sync on if you play games like MSFS that can dip in fps lower than 48 fps.
But with a genuine hardware G-Sync monitor you will not need V-Sync as it works the whole scale from 1hz up to the monitor’s native refresh rate.

At the end of the day it all depends as has been said. However why does it depend, out side of system variance? Any given system is capable of XX frame rate at YY eye candy settings. Frankly, 30 frames is that is needed to make the sim smooth (regardless of the superhumans among us that claim they can tell the difference between 100 fps and 99 fps). So locking the frame rate to 30 allows the system to dedicate resources to things other than rendering a few more frames per second. You can turn eye candy up higher. So what is the magic? Determining how many frames YOU want vs eye candy YOU want and then finding your own happy zone. Chasing frames on a simulator is akin to chasing tone on a guitar. You can buy all the pedals and amps you want and hook them up with MILES of cable, when in the end your tone is mainly in your hands and ability. For MSFS I run a 9700KF with no overclocking, and a 2070 Super with no overclocking. I have my frames locked at 30 and I am able to run sliders full right at 3840x2160, my tv’s native resolution. I spend my time enjoying the sim and my money on bullets, powder and primers.

1 Like

If you use G-Sync you don’t need V-Sync enabled.

Good stuff Lance Cpl. Thanks.

Okay, I have avoided asking this thru out this whole discussion to not show my ignorance, but the time has come—what is Gsync? Perhaps that was explained earlier and I missed it. Is it a monitor setting?

You’re right if you have a monitor with G-Sync hardware in the monitor, or run the game at fps higher than 48 .

Thanks guys.

I usually see the screen tearing if vsync is off, which is annoying to me, so I always have it on. Personal preference really.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.