Wake turbulence

Yeah I don’t know the code so can’t comment but I do know that there will be formulas and equations for it as Xplane has. There is a good Youtube video demonstrating it. This is otherwise called down wash and to me should be possible based on the number of points on the aircraft and the ground friction that is implemented in the current wind

1 Like

I don’t think we can compare XP11 flight modelling with FSX or MSFS. They are just a tad different to be charitable.

That’s fine. However, my point is that it should be possible to add code for it now that the winds are depicted better. Its a matter of working out the angle of the downwash and varying wind speeds for a min and max value using trigonometry, if they can’t do that then all other wind depiction stops here.

1 Like

Thank you. I am a bit a noob on this, other than knowing it’s something you want to avoid, hence I hope you can educate me a little.
But my understanding was that vortexes are caused by the wingtips? Or am I mixing things up? And if it’s the extremes and not the shapes - someone will correct me - that’s not modeled AFAIK

Certainly some value from a training aspect, and is often done during real-world sim training. Especially after the Challenger 604 / Airbus 380 incident. Also after the fatal Lear 45 Mexico City crash. But vortices would have to be modeled precisely so you can still do realistic formation flying. Some good recreation in this YouTube video on a Robin DR400.

3 Likes

Your getting there. A vortex is what the wing tips produce simply putting it then you’ll get a spiralling effect of the wind that sinks and causes turbulence, it is that turbulence that can extend a reasonable distance from the (generally larger) aircraft in front which has the effect of being in any turbulent conditions.

Therefore in training, you could get a better situational awareness and gauge the distance and height you would need to be to avoid such an effect.

1 Like

Not just from a training aspect. You normally cannot see wake turbulence, so there are (depending on the type of flying you are doing) rules, practices, and techniques to try to avoid it. For example, airliner spacing in IFR arrivals is intended to provide safety from wake turbulence, but it does not guarantee that you will not encounter at least weak turbulence from the airplane ahead of you.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m no expert on flight modeling on this system, but my perusal of the FSX based improvements just points me in a direction of it it not being simulated well enough. Wing is a shape with some variables attached to it. Maybe wake is one of them - but if it is - it’s a fudge factor not reliant on anything else other than preset values and I don’t believe it applies to AI traffic or how well it translates to multiplayer (that’s kinda new for the franchise in a way). If any plane developers want to override and clarify, they would likely be the authoritative sources on this.

Basically, it’s a long winded way of saying it will not be like XP11 modeling cause they do it very very differently. Sorry for stating the obvious and wasting everyone’s time

As much as there was a turbulent start to my OP, if your trying to learn then no question is a waste of time. It’s only unhelpful remarks that waste time.

1 Like

Sorry, forgot to actually contribute!
If change is to be made to better simulate it - I foresee a big-ish core change, where even the default aircraft, underlying flight model and the structure of planes needs to be changed. Whilst I have trust in troves and will give enough rope for Asobo - if what I’m guessing is right, I just do not see it happening without upending all the existing development. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Just don’t think it’s on the cards really.

If you are interested into more details of the flight model, download the SDK. There is actually a very detailed section about it. Actually MSFS2020 uses more flight surfaces for calculation than X-Plane. It’s also said that all in all the forces in the end are the same as FSX, that’s why the new model can be seen as extension of the old, but it allows things like a stall only on one side…

1 Like

I think someone is a bit too sensitive. The problem is the game doesn’t have an settings for this bud.

Aparently you missed that we don’t have any gliders in the sim.

I didn’t say it shouldn’t be implemented, I only made a comment upon wake turbulance itself. My comment still stands for the overwhelming majority of people.

What kind of response is that?

When you tell someone that you don’t want to fly with them because you assume they want to fly into an aircraft vortex means you are very very immature and self centered, just so you can get your likes or whatever you get from it.

I don’t want to fly with anyone with that shallow calibre of intellect and common decency.

Happy flying bud!

1 Like

Wake turbulace is a killer. If I need to explain this to you I don’t know what to say. There is a good reason why ATC spaces flights accordingly.

And for the record I’m not responsible for your feelings. Unlike experiencing WT in RL, you’ll live reading comments. No one forces you to read or respond bud.

Mate, you don’t have a clue. Your not even understanding what the hell has even been discussed in this forum. Move along. Your unfounded and unhelpful comments have no place in this forum.

I don’t know why you would think you would need to explain this to me. If you did your homework and read my comments here you would know that. You’ve just scored 0 out of 10 for observation.

For your info, I know it’s a killer, that’s why my OP was made. As a training supplement this is very useful and would provide invaluable learning but you only seem to continue to lose focus on the comments and just spit something out like a llama in a bad mood.

2 Likes

I would say the dangers of wake turbulence make it more necessary to add to the sim, not less. As Spritely said, it would be an invaluable training aid, not to mention adding depth and realism to formation flying (try aerial refueling in DCS for a taste).

A lot of real pilots berate the sim community’s gripes about planes not flying right when out of the envelope because you would never fly that way in real life. I counter that a sim is exactly the place to fly planes out of the envelope, into wake turbulence, known icing, you name it. Screwing up in the sim has no consequences except maybe learning a thing or two.

Astronauts spent months breaking things in simulators before we landed on the moon.

5 Likes

+1. Please add wake turbulence to MSFS 2020. I was very sad and disappointed to see it was missing.

4 Likes

That’s just ridiculous. A training suppument for wake turbulence lol? Next you’re going to tell us that it’s also a trainer for spins and stalls?

You’re just showing me that you really have little clue since these kinds of things aren’t what desktop flight sims are for whatsoever.

This is something that is “in” X-Plane and should be implementable in theory, right?. The thing about X-Plane that made the wake turbulence completely useless was the fact that it wasn’t implemented for VATSIM/multiplayer/.obj aircraft. Since the actual winds aren’t even represented in this sim yet - wouldn’t hold my breath for something like this, but I’d love this extra level of immersion.

But, then again - Asobo says buildings affect the air mass locally. If so, it can’t be too far off to have aircraft affect the air mass as well - leading to wakes etc.

1 Like