Want more smoothness? - Use RivaTuner FPS Lock

Hi all,

If you’re looking for smoothness in the sim, my recommendation is that you lock your FPS to something that your PC can consistently reach. This will ensure that your frame times are “flat-lining” and overall consistent, this in turn eliminates FPS spikes which makes for a smoother flying experience. While it’s not a 100% cure for stutters, you will see a vast improvement.

My computer has a 2K 144Hz GSync display and I can reach about 138 FPS at the highest in certain spots even at complex airports with traffic and payware aircraft, although when it comes to average frame rate the best setting for mine is about 100 FPS.

Keep the application detection level set to Low.
You can also create a profile so that the frame limit only occurs with flightsimulator.exe

You can obtain RivaTuner with MSi Afterburner. Use only the RivaTuner install included in MSI Afterburner, the newest version has some issues that cause it to crash or not allow the sim to start.

Disclaimer: As always, you experiment at your own risk. Create a Windows System Restore Point so you may revert any unwanted changes.

A great video that showed me the benefits was this one:

Stut…ter (youtube.com)

Happy Flying Everyone!

1 Like

Moved to General Discussion Tools & Utilities

My 4K monitor has a max 144Hz refresh. I leave it set to that in NvCP.
I cap FS2020 in Riva to 95 FPS, and I do not use frame sync in the sim. Why 95? Because that’s the next lowest default for my monitor in NvCP (non-custom options are: 60, 95, 144.)

My system is quite smooth, even with the latest and greatest CPU/GPU combo. I do believe Riva plays a part.