Want to get more serious with simulating

So, I’m on the Xbox, trying to learn the basics and I really got to like IFR flying and learning the bigger planes. After some time though, the console version feels very limited. I can’t download plane mods, the live traffic is pretty botched and doesn’t contribute to the realism and the ATC is just too simple and annoying.

The thing is, I don’t have a very powerful computer. I think my video card is like GTX 1050Ti or something, no SSD, 8gb of RAM and so on… The system req for MSFS2020 would require me to put a lot of money into hardware, and I’m not really prepared to do that at the moment.

My question is, are there any other less demanding sims that you could recommend to someone that is hungry for more serious flight simming and eventually tune into VATSIM?

Thanks guys.

the old fsx should work ok, maybe xplane 11…but these will look way way less good.
and yes xbox flying will always be limited.

The minimum system requirements for MSFS were clear before launch and will remain limiting the performance on your rig.
Not much you can do, other then investing in a new (game)PC/laptop.
The XBox performs pretty well but indeed… is capped in terms of add on possibilities.

Sadly, this is not what I find. I started FSX last week…first time since last September. Frame rates were less than MSFS. (Graphically inferior too).

FSX needs massive tweaking. It’s a 15 years old program in 32 bit structure :roll_eyes:. If you really want to dive into system management and online flying I can only recommend P3D (v5 atm) or XP (no experience myself). But this will definitely come with a new PC. It‘s the unfortunate fact, you can‘t have everything for „free“.

1 Like

welcome to the world of “serious” simmers…MSFS2020 is a state of the art flight simulator. It is very versatile, and you can consider there are 2 main type of public/customers.
The gamers…just want to have fun, for whom the Xbox will be more than enough (nothing wrong with that). And to be honnest, if you have never tried “serious” simming before, it is a very good way to start, if you already have an Xbox. The cheapest way, at least.
And the “Serious” simmers, for whom it’s more a hobby/passion/addiction. Which in time, becomes more and more expensive ( as you buy add-ons and hardware, periferials ).
You could do some serious IFR with GA aircraft and still keep the Xbox version. But from the moment you will want/need more add-ons, VATSIM, periferials ( sidestick,throttles,rudder pedals, aso ) then you will have to switch over to a PC …and the higer/bigger the rig, the more years, you’ll be able to fly without too many frustrations. You’ll need a powerfull CPU ( you don’t need a lot of cores, but the speed is important here) and an even powerfull GPU ( with the best and more silent cooling system possible ). for the RAM, I’ve read somewhere that 32 is a minimum.
my advice…save and aim for a very good pc before buying too many add-ons, or you’ll just delay the time to get to your simming pc, and get super frustrated. I’m speaking out of experience, trust me !
IT IS ALL WORTH IT, it’s a great hobby, a great passion, the comunnity is huge and very helpfull, don’t hesitate to ask opinions or advices…many, in order to make your own :wink:
Welcome to the Simming World, and happy Flying

3 Likes

You simply download the xPlane free trial and see how it works on your system. If it’s not for you, you can delete it. If you like it purchase a key and off you go.

there are definately some good addons now for console and more will come.

Yeah no, XP11 will not run well with those specs. XP will gobble up the latest and greatest if you let it. I have 64G RAM 2080ti and i9 and XP has no problems giving them workout of the lifetime. Granted I have my setting dialed up three quarters up and 36TB of ortho on top of another 5 or 6 TB of custom airports but 8Gig and 1050 even at the most base settings will probably not cut it.