Warning : HP Reverb G2 - poor quality headset

Just to warn ther users. Just 1 month after my warranty went void (1 year), cable stopped to work (error 13-14 and now 7-14). For a 6xx+ headset i think this is not normal. I thought HP hardware was more reliable. Now I have to spend 160€ for a replacement cable. For HPG2 users, you’d better changel your cable before your warranty is void. Otherwise you will have a useless piece of plastic and glass unless you buy another cable, contributing consistantly to HP benefits. My next VR headset will not be HP.

1 Like

Kit that moves in use is always going to have this risk. Replacement cables from the V1 to the V2 set have been available under warranty for nearly a year now. Guessing you didn’t get/have option of an extended warranty?

1 Like

I don’t think because a cable failed after the 1 year warranty you can deem the G2 a “poor quality headset”. The G2 is a great hmd for msfs especially. Yes it’s had its issues but that’s what a warranty is for, and 1 years warranty is typical is many countries such as the usa and uk, in the eu you get 2 years.

3 Likes

Have managed to get free replacement parts for item i purchased even after warranty, positive attitude does a lot.
that cable would have not failed if not used and would have failed earlier with more use.
In you case you are part of their prediction for average users .
Well done HP, good Maths there :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I leave my HP G2 cable always plugged in, I carefully coil up the cable when I am done and avoid putting it under any stress and place the cable under a table “guarded” by a chair that’s never used with the headset in its cover in the box it came in and the coiled cable resting on top of the box. When I wear the G2 for MSFS, I don’t think I move my head that much and am careful to have the cable rising from the floor behind me with enough slack so I can move my head all around without generating any real tension in the cable. I would think if one were playing Half Life-Alyx and whirling one’s head all around, this way and that, along with some vigorous body motion in one’s bounded VR space that you could tank your headset cable much more easily - or maybe if you’re doing wild acrobatics in MSFS or the Reno air races and rapidly snapping your head all around. Just like winners of positive lotteries that pay off in real money are rare, there are also negative lotteries where there are rare “winners” awarded devices that fail unexpectedly. Perhaps you’ve been the unfortunate “winner” of such a lottery?

Did you check with HP if they are going to replace your cable? Did they inform you that you must pay 160 euro? If not - your post is premature…
HP is aware of the issues with their v.1 cable and was quite flexible with offering the replacement to v.2 of the cable.

1 Like

Has mine for well over a year. I look after it and don’t wrap thr cables after use. Best headset ever

1 Like

Yes, I did contact HP and their cold answer was : Warranty void since one month, we are sorry but you can head to the HP Store to buy the 159€ new cable.
I do think that this is an excellent Headset. Nevertheless, I do not think it is normal to spend another 150€ after 1 year and 1 month of use so my advice is to contract the warranty extension. I think that fellow simmers must be informed of this weakness of the headset before buying or investing in a 1 year useless warranty. By the way, i read that in EU, it is 2 years warranty by law. This is not correct. I am living in France and HP France did tell me that it is 1 year warranty. The 2 years warranty is in the case there is a component recognize as defectuous upon manufacturing.

I bought the cable directly from HP as my warranty had run out.

Part number 22J68AA.
Date bought: 30 march 2022
Price paid €67,76

The Reverb G2 v1 is an excellent headset. The v1 cable had a design flaw which HP acknowledged. One could exchange the cable during warranty.
I was too late to get a different cable within warranty period so bought the version 2 cable later.

Dutch hp store still sells it for 67.76
https://www.hp.com/nl-nl/shop/product.aspx?id=22J68AA&opt=&sel=ACC

Regards,
G

2 Likes

They told me to buy this one
https://www.hp.com/fr-fr/shop/product.aspx?id=22J68AA&opt=&sel=ACC

What is the difference between the 2 references ?

My friend had the same happen, 1,5 years after purchase the cable broke. He called HP and they sent him a new cable in an instant. The cable is bad. The headset and customer service is great.

1 Like

HP sent me a new cable for a second hand unit, I was completely honest with them on the call, amazing customer service

2 Likes

No difference. Part number is the same. You need the power brick from the old cable as the new cable does not include a power brick.

You could try contacting them again. Maybe another person would help better. Let them know people have had their cable replaced for free outside of warranty. I know some reps do not even know about the original problem with the cable. See this post for details and refer them to this:
Revision 2 of the Reverb G2 Cable and all the Mysteries Within! (Official Announcement Stuff.) : HPReverb (reddit.com)
Show them the price difference for the same part and ask for that price if they do not want to replace it for free.

Good luck,

Regards,
G

1 Like

I got sick and tired of regular 7-14 errors every time i went to use the headset… after months of these types of events i don’t use it anymore and purchased a Pimax 8KX. The Pimax has been super reliable, works every time and has a much larger “Sweet Spot” and an enormous Field of View compared to the HP Reverb… a much better product that is more of a professional quality than the retail consumer product that HP manufactures.

Yeah and it only costs 3 times the HP…

7-14 is simply the USB connection. I had it a couple of times in the beginning and since I‘ce plugged it into a HUB with external power supply the error is gone.

Its not that easy… . But you are somewhat close to the truth. The are a number of these HUBs used by G2 users, some work - some don’t . I have 2 that don’t and 1 that does work. 7-14 is not just a USB error. Being an electronic engineer i traced the issue a number of times and found that the most often offending component on mine was the patch mutli pin plug on the mother board. In terms of the price, well if you can’t afford it then you will do without …

yes, I read that there are issues with the mainboard, all above with the x570 apparently. However everyone in my DCS squadron who has the Reverb and who had this problem (almost everyone had it) could resolve it with an externally powered USB hub. I have got an Icy Box IB-AC618 with 7 USB 3.0 ports and haven’t had a single problem since then.

Regarding the Pimax I simply meant that at that price I would have been shocked if it wasn’t much better than the Reverb. ^^

Been using the Reverb G2 since early this year. Probably 20-30 hrs a week.
Mainly Iracing, and MSFS. Some other uses, mainly zombie shooters.
No issues.

2 Likes

Have to admit myself that I talked them into replacing my cable after warranty as well. My headset sat for 6 months after I bought it because my 1080 video card at the time was nowhere near powerful enough to run it. So I only got 6 months out of it. Then one of the FS 2020 updates came out and I suspected the cable was causing my CTD (which I now think was the program). In any case they first told me I had to pay for a new cable. I asked if there was anyone there that could override that and 5 mins on hold she came back and said we got it and sent me a new cable.

1 Like

Sorry, great headset in my option. Had the G1 and now the G2 v2. No issues. Great results.

4 Likes