Warning: Your graphics device has encountered a problem

Asobo also said the same thing, but can’t retrieve the post.

Again, why the delay then? The GRD was delayed before the 2H22 release so I don’t think that’s relevant. There are also too many if’s, but’s and opinions in that statement for me to take it as read to be honest.

I’ll have to take it on trust that Asobo have said this, because I’ve never seen anything to suggest that it’s the case. I don’t mean a mod here, I mean an official communication to say ‘the SD does exactly the same as the GRD’ and ‘we’ve included some magic that means the sim can detect an as yet unreleased driver and turn on a feature that, until then, isn’t available’.

If we’re all honest, that sounds a but far-fetched does it not? :man_shrugging:t3:

It wasn’t a Mod who said this. I’ll try again to retrieve the post, but believe me, they said it.

Hi mine did it once after the dreaded updates lol with 32gig ram memory and 8 gig 1070GTX there has been nothing like this message at all what so ever but after a restart and over like 100 hrs of use on and off the sim ive had no message so all good

May sound like a weird fix but before starting a flight disable multiplayer.

I still search. I found this one from a Mod, but it wasn’t this one I’m talking about :

I understand this is a developer mode and is not polished but it still is looking bad as an example of presentation and gives me less confidence than I would like.

I also had the same issue during the download of the 100 Gb after reinstallation, two times

now chatting with Nvidia support and following their advices after having decided to reinstall my windows 11 from scratch and in the process to reinstall MSFS and everything

you can see their recommendations at the end if this post , download still in progress, no new crash since a bit more than 1 hour…
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/issue-with-graphic-card/544519/76

This issue is so random. I have changed none of my settings since the last successful flight. Yet today, it gives me the “has encountered a problem” error and it shuts down. Whether it is with a 3rd party add-on plane like the Fenix or the PMDG’s. Or if it’s with a MSFS Default aircraft. I am lost for clues. Have tried multiple things, like switching to Studio Driver with a clean install. Reset MSFS Settings to default. Reinstalling/unlinking add-ons.

I thought I’d try this studio driver just to see.

Inevitably DX12 was unusable, much worse than DX11. That isn’t how it was during the beta, so from my own experience I’d say using the studio driver doesn’t work. The fps was awful because the VRAM was absolutely full and there was texture bleed through of ground textures. Both of these are things that are meant to be being sorted out.

I’ve gone back to the previous driver and will wait the GR version.

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

I’ve just encountered the same message whilst loading into Sim Wings Menorca in the Fenix A320. Event Viewer shows nvlddmkm stopped responding and recovered. On a subsequent attempt it loaded fine. I checked VRAM usage in Dev Mode and it was only using 6GB out of 9GB available and it’s nowhere near saturating system RAM, so the ‘official solution’ isn’t true at all. Windows 11 21H2 and MSFS were installed fresh at SU10’s launch. I’ve played around with SU10 many times since without issue, so it appears to be either sporadic or a one off in my case. I can count on one hand the times this sim has crashed on me since it released, so this is new. i7 10700k, ASUS Strix RTX 3080 (512.95), 32GB 3600MHz RAM, Windows 11 Pro 21H2. No overclocking, except XMP.

Are you using DX12?

No - DX11, Ultra with TLOD reduced to 150

Are you using DLSS?

No - 2560x1440, TAA

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

N/A

EDIT: I should note I forgot that HAGS is enabled by default in Windows 11, and I forgot to turn it off when I reinstalled Windows last week. I’ve always had it turned off, so I’ll see if it happens again with it disabled.

Wouldn’t surprise me :wink:

I’ve fairly certain though that this studio driver automatically triggering some magic in the game seems fair fetched, and on the evidence of my machine (at least) it doesn’t work.

Hmm, not exactly, they didn’t told me to reinstall windows, that was my decision, they just told me to cleanup the driver and reinstall it plus some specific settings for MSFS, and now i haven’t got the message up to know… i keep fingers crossed…

For the new windows anyway it was a good thing for me, for MSFS as i have done so many changes in registry and everywhere else to try to get MSFS working fine, in VR especially that i can’t remember which one and undo all of them, and also for all the rest as i think that W11 like previous versions is going worst and worst after all updates … So, not so bad to do it from time to time

Your scepticism is almost baffling. There’s been a statement from nVidia, and many here including me have demonstrated the much improved multithreading in DX12 with the studio driver. This was not the case before the studio driver released. Then DX12 performed worse than DX11 for nVidia owners.

The reason why some people get stutters with DX12 could be that the sim demands more VRAM than what’s available, as @ncbartschi has pointed out. It’s easy to check if this is the case by going into dev mode.

For those that are adamant that we need the GRD for DX12 to work properly, fine. It’s probably going to release in a few days anyway.

Tuesdays the release day for nvidia, so they’ll probably see it tomorrow, then they’ll install it and the sim will still be acting the same way. Unless of course we get a mystery update from Asobo, they have been real real quiet since this all began, so maybe they’re hard at work fixing things and the surprise release will make all things better? ROFL

But the issue isn’t about CPU multi-threading, it’s about memory optimisation (specifically VRAM). That was the problem during the beta, VRAM got full and you either got crazy artefacts or huge fps drops.

The fact that people’s VRAM is still filling up to the point that the fps drops below 20 (as it did in my case) suggests that those memory optimisations are still not enabled, which in turn suggests the studio driver isn’t fixing the issue or more likely can’t or won’t trigger this ‘thing’ in the game to enable these changes.

One thing I can say without any doubt is that what I experienced with that driver installed in DX12 is absolutely nothing like the performance we saw early on in the beta, nor is it what we’ve all been waiting for since. I totally agree with the above post, Asobo have been very quiet indeed. If this studio driver enabled stellar performance in DX12 (as I think we’re all expecting it to do) then I’d be expecting them to be yelling it from the rooftops. As they’re not, then that’s all the answer I need.

I don’t think we’ll be able to agree on this. I mentioned multithreading as that’s a sign that DX12 is working. As well as the much increased performance (i.e. less stutters vs before the studio driver). Obviously they still need to tune the VRAM management as the sim should not ask for more than what’s available. It’s still in beta though, so I’ll expect it to be a work in progress.

I’m tired of it, I’ve been spending my free time trying to solve this problem for a week and a half, if it’s because my gpu isn’t powerful enough (gtx770) it will mean that I won’t be able to play mfs 2020 anymore, unless I buy another one. I ask for help again.

Just FYI to try and help. I just got this error for the first time while loading into a flight at an addon KSRQ.
I have flown at least six flights on SU10 without issue and, after this CTD, I was able to restart and complete the flight as I wanted.
My system is Ryzen7 3600X with GTX1070. I was not in the SU10 beta and I do not use DX12. Its all the same settings except for refresh rate which is different now in SU10. Still using TAA.
My thought is that maybe clearing the shader cache would help? or it may be an SU10 bug that isn’t tied to DX12 or DLSS or even your GPU driver.(I dont know)

I turned off Hardware Acceleration in Windows 11 and issue has gone away.

1 Like