WASM for Xbox SU12

I don’t recall if it was mentioned or I just had a random “shower thought”, but there was a discussion about the Series X in particular possibly being able to partition it’s internal SSD to be used as virtual memory.

I would be more than happy to delete some games and have that ability over just having games I procrastinate on filling up my SSD.

Sorry to say, but your answer isn’t helping in any way.
It happened so often now that deadlines or how you want to call it “target dates” haven’t been hit and delayed with a kind of radio silence that it doesn’t seem that there’s an multi million dollar company behind the development, it seems more like 4 guys working on their mobile app in the backyard shop of their parents house…

I mean really, how long is wasm for Xbox on the table now?
And also been said, that the most luck for ms/Asobo is, that i guess only a 20% of Xbox users a participating in that forum. Otherwise there would be (and should be) more discussion about the bad treatment of the Xbox community!

Would be interesting to know a statistics how many Xbox users Ms flight sim has already lost?
Anyway in worst case have a look to frontier development how they have messed up their console market… throughout bad console support and an even more worse communication…

Edit: please give at least an info what will happen with the 40th anniversary update on console in November if wasm isn’t ready for release?
Will there be gliders, helicopters or even the A310 for console?

1 Like

This was answered by working title’s Matt Nischan (Bishop398) earlier in this thread (maybe skim through the whole thread once. It’s around 28-36 th posts.). Basically what he said was that 40th anniversary planes should be ok on xbox, yes some of them use WASM, but the WASM restriction doesn’t really apply to the planes which ship as part of the default sim. So Xbox users should be able to use those planes as intended.

4 Likes

Hello @STEU3R,

Yes, all of the new 40th Anniversary Edition content, including gliders and helicopters, will be available for both PC and Xbox on November 11. All current and future products released directly by Asobo/Microsoft are compatible with both platforms. The WASM issue only applies to third-party products.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

12 Likes

Thank you for confirming this for Xbox users, Seedy!

3 Likes

Honestly very disappointed they keep pushing this back. It gives me no pleasure to say it but my personal decision to move to PC looks more and more justified.

1 Like

Honestly, I’ve reached a point of complete apathy about it.

I’ve so many things going on in my life that worrying or being upset about Flight Simulator is just not in me anymore.

Whatever. If they fix it it will be a bonus.

2 Likes

WASM or the huge free stuff for Xbox? My DC6 waits in the Xbox hangar for a long time now. But the new amazing content makes up for it. Can wait.

I agree that worrying about a video game might be a little too far over the line compared to real life…

But at the end of day, this doesn’t mean everyone should follow your or my opinion about how to live a life.

I will say this.

I would, very much, like to understand why 1st Party aircraft that need WASM can work in the sim, but 3rd Party cannot.

I really want to understand this. The A310 is developed by a 3rd party and, if Microsoft hadn’t ‘bought’ it for us to include in the 40th Anniversary, it wouldn’t have been able to work on the Xbox had it been released as a 3rd party add-on.

What is up with this?

8 Likes

What are you running on the iPad there?

GaiaGPS. I have the FAA’s VFR sectionals map there in the photo, but I’ve also got low and high altitude IFR sectionals available as well.

I use the charts for VFR and I’ll hide the sectional layer to see the regular GPS topo’s to help me identify visual ground references from the air.

It’s been a major part of my sim flying and I’ve learned to identify so much of CA (where I fly mostly) visually, to the point where I know lakes, mountains, highways, rivers, etc. by heart now.

3 Likes

A cynic would say it’s to perhaps prevent or delay the likes of Justflight and PMDG making more money from Xbox consumers, but what do I know. I mean, that’s obviously far fetched, but I honestly can’t think of anything else, unless there’s something I’m missing.

You are missing something.

They’ve been pretty clear all along.

And believe me, MS stands to make money by putting WASM planes up in the Marketplace for Xbox, not just 3rd party developers. Missing another holiday season has got to hurt.

1 Like

Which makes it all the more baffling that they keep pushing it backwards, over and over. It’s been well over a year since the DC-6 Xbox disaster. I am utterly amazed It’s not been fixed. I seriously wonder if it ever will be.

Cynical, yes. But I’m not optimistic.

3 Likes

The best I can tell, Asobo has always known how to fix it in one, painstakingly long and arduous way.

And they have stumbled upon a couple quicker ways in the process, so they tried those paths only to have them fail.

And, to everyone at MS/Asobo’s credit, what they are trying to do has NOT been done before for any title or Marketplace (in game or out of the game) on any Xbox since the advent of the first console.

Microsoft built a walled garden on day one and it has remained that way ever since.

Now MS/Asobo have to work together to allow mods through that wall without bloating the software and making these mods and addons unusable on console for performance reasons.

It sucks. It sucks for MS. It sucks for Asobo. It sucks for 3rd party developers. It sucks for Xbox simmers.

But the only fix that appears to work is the one that always was going to take the longest amount of time to code and implement.

And also, worth noting, MS and Asobo are not one and the same, so sometimes Asobo must wait for the MS to finish something on their end. Then Asobo can continue working until they reach the next roadblock and MS has to fix something else. This isn’t all being done in house in one studio, MS has things they must do on their end, Asobo has their own work, and often, one party just has to wait until the other figures out what they need done next. This further slows the process.

But there is no precedent for this before MSFS, so neither party can learn from what has been previously coded by others.

It sucks, but I understand.

6 Likes

I’m sorry for my ignorance, but there is something I still can’t grasp with this WASM thing…
Developers and apps are looking for a way to read info from the game but that is blocked on Xbox for security reasons, right?
But my VelocityOne light panel can read info without a problem after the last update, and display lights on or off for a variety of game states.
So, how can the peripheral read that info and an installed app can’t?
Again, I don’t even know if this is a stupid question, so sorry in advance.

2 Likes

If a developer codes something FOR Xbox, and their code passes MS Q&A, it can be certified for use on Xbox, and the software becomes Xbox software.

Your hardware got their software Xbox certified, Honeycomb has not (yet) so lights are still out.

Folks,

This is not something we’re choosing to push backwards for no good reason. We want these planes in the Xbox Marketplace as much as you do. The reason third-party WASM support for Xbox is not available yet is because it simply isn’t ready.

As Jorg mentioned in an earlier Developer Livestream several months ago, once we realized this was an issue following the release of the PMDG DC-6, the dev team spent a lot of time and effort evaluating how we could resolve it. Ultimately, we determined there were two possible solutions. One required an update to the Xbox OS, which is entirely outside the control of the MSFS team and would take a significant amount of time to implement. The other possible solution was within our ability to implement ourselves without having to rely on a change to the Xbox OS. This is the path we are currently pursuing, and we tentatively hoped to have it ready in time for SU10.

Unfortunately, as is often the case in software development (particularly when we’re in uncharted territory attempting something that has never been done before), unexpected challenges can arise and things can sometimes take longer than we initially thought they would. That’s what happened here and why our planned release was delayed first from SU10 to SU11 and then to SU12.

This still remains a very high priority for us. You can watch our Developer Livestream on Friday (1830Z at https://twitch.tv/MSFSOfficial) for an update.

Thanks,
MSFS Team

23 Likes

Kinda what I’d been figuring - a pretty heroic undertaking, something we’ll be very lucky to have once it’s in place, and something I wish people would stop loudly complaining about. Thanks for the work put in to do it, and do it right.

5 Likes