Water has repeating wave pattern - doesnt even look like water

Has anyone seen this water issue - just repeating patterns in the water that doesnt really look like water at all. RTX2070S and Samsung 49" monitor. Ive played with nearly every setting in NVIDIA CP and in MS2020 but no changes. Its accompanied by massive flickering between ocean and sky.

Yeah… that’s not normal. Check your graphics card itself/drivers, something looks off. Maybe something corrupted, idk

1 Like

I definitely don’t have that issue.
Could it be mod influenced, did you try with your Community folder empty?
Did you try emptying your rolling cache and see if that helps?

1 Like

Yeah as said that not normal have never seen it like that before. Assume is nothing has accidently been ticked in the sdk drop down menu’s creating that effect.

I think I have a bad GPU. This post for other games shows the flickering issue - Screen flickering on a new RTX 2070 Super - Troubleshooting - Linus Tech Tips

Yes tried clearing the cache and emptying the folder. I havent seen others with the issue so I suspect its a hardware fault.

1 Like

Run Furmark or Kombustor with artefact scanning on. Should tell you if it is really broken.

Furmark and Kombuster run at 5120x1440 with no issues.

1 Like

So I cleared all LIVERIES from the Community Folder, and lowered the Water Waves setting to LOW. Now when I take off from KLAX out to the sea it is blue, but when I get out beyond Catalina Island and all you can see on screen is ocean, its got the weird wave artifacts in there.

Is your Bing Data on, or have any graphics settings been changed?
I have read posts saying some user’s settings had been changed somehow.

Yeah I have unlimited data on a 1GB connection so its probably not a data issue. I find between updates and NVidia driver updates my settings do get reset, but this has been pretty consistent since the early days of MS2020.

1 Like

FYI I returned the 2070, got it replaced with a 3070 and all these issues went away, so looks like a failing GPU was at fault.

3 Likes