Water Masking.. It's just so Beautiful!

@groovyfly Reports to Zendesk for bug https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

2 Likes

Insane stuff. Beautiful sim.

1 Like

Would love to see Keywest added

8 Likes

I am sorry if it was mentioned before, but should I have Xbox version to see these water mask regions? I flew around Bahamas (25.025081, -76.528483) but couldn’t see anything like those colorful pictures, only blurry yellowish water as in any other region. I used Steam version, Ultra settings.

1 Like

Not sure why you’re not seeing it.

Should be there. I’m using Steam version, not Xbox.

Are using full online mode?

Can we please make a list of locations that already have water masking?
To everyone posting screenshots, please say the location too.

4 Likes

Thank you for the reply! I’ve checked the Data options and found out that the Bing data world graphics was off. I switched it to On and now the area around Okinawa island. Japan (near Naha airport) looks wonderful!

1 Like

Wonderful! Glad it helped!!!

Well, seems like even in the regions where they already added the water masks, there are still lots of errors and strange land tiles right next to it.

Here, also in the Bahamas, next to Turks and Caicos Islands:

Just thought it might be interesting at this point to remind ourselves that Flight Sim World (RIP) seemed to be rife with this ‘water masking’, wherever one ventured in its world. Here, I’m flying in a random location off the coast of an Indonesian archipelago but, frankly, wherever one goes in FSW one will find ample ‘water masking’ in full effect.

Obviously, I concede FSW arrives at these results by virtue of the fact it is not created with satellite imagery, but it’s sobering to think that this sadly abandoned (and, imo, impressive) flight sim manages to create more convincing shallow coral seas than MSFS 2020, with all its impressive technologies.

1 Like

Agreed. Nice to be optimistic but I don’t see them manually apply masks to all of the bodies of water in the world. The current experience is wildly inconsistent, which is consistent with a pre-alpha product - not one released to the general public.

7 Likes

‘consistent with a pre-alpha product - not one released to the general public.’

Pre-alpha you say? Like not even ready to begin testing and not fit to be seen by anyone outside of Asobo? Because the water-masking is inconsistent?

2 Likes

So, has anyone found new water masks since the latest patch?
They said they added some.

Kerama Island Airport - ROKR

Some nice subtle water masking there and surrounding area.

1 Like

I noticed some up in northern New Zealand when I went to check out the Cape Brett lighthouse, not sure if it’s new or not.

But weirdly most of the masking shown in promotional trailers like the Oceania World Tour is still missing. There’s probably a disconnect between the marketing, art, and dev teams over there.

6 Likes

Coastline of some Japanese islands had been improved in right direction!

8 Likes

can we fix the watermasking with SDK ? maybe the community should help

1 Like

You can currently only exclude the water that covers things under the water.
Like this on my add-on:

1 Like