Wave Lift

In one of the MSFS Twitch streams there was a question about wave lift.

It was on the development list, but was cut for Simupdate 11 because it would take more time to implement and they would only consider an implementation if there is enough attention for it
(or votes like in this thread, created for that reason).

While they definitely have to sort out the basic Thermals, Up & Down Drafts and make them more realistic (because one depends on the other), wave lift should be on the list too.

Wave lift gets created in special cases and has different indicators,
here is a very good summary of how can I see wave lift?

While gliders make the most use of it, it’s not just glider related, every aircraft gets effected by the airflow so this topic should be on the realism development list.

If you want to learn more about wave lift, here is an entire section for that, very well written:

3 Likes

Weather is weather. We don’t glide in a parallel universe. Standing Lee waves are used by glider pilots and commercial pilots alike.

In the first iteration, it need be no more than a couple of sliders to set height and Frequency of oscillation, but for live weather, both Skysight.org and Meteoblue off wave prediction data.

5 Likes

Yes please! I would like the weather to be as realistic as possible in all aspects.

4 Likes

question, is it possible for you guys to play the youtube video in the OP ?
for some strange reason it doesn’t start for me, only works with the smartphone :sweat_smile:

Yep, it plays for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I somehow doubt that they can actually model wavelift in the sim, as long as we don’t see any nearly realistic basic thermals in the sim we are probably very far away from wave lift getting implemented.

1 Like

Wave would be cool ,

1 Like

In the glider Q&A it was stated that wave is an “edge” phenomenon - it isn’t. Whilst the kind of waves the Perlan ll hunt for might be edge weather, there is actually weak wave (10-20,000 ft somewhere in the UK most weeks during winter - and sites like Aboyne in Scotland rely on the regular existence of wave for their business model to work. It is a well known expedition site with a degree of predictability.

Photos outside my window today. Post yours

I’m guessing it will be waving somewhere in the world every day

3 Likes

interesting video about wave flying:

2 Likes

it’s astonishing what can be achieved with wave lift 76.000 feet… I mean look at this, we need this thermal feature in the sim (and the Perlan 2 as well :star_struck: )

The Perlan 2 would be a great ‘‘local legend’’ candidate and in case Asobo decides to implement wave lift there could be a tutorial/ mission to recreate this record breaking flight.
The way Marten mentions ‘’#Argentina’’ in the OP interview sounds like they thought about this idea :smiley:

4 Likes

That would be very cool! Also thoroughly enjoyed your vid above

1 Like

That would be indeed a fantastic local legend!

1 Like