We need Refunds from Marketplace, Steam won't do it

The actual situation is probably not even legal.
Under European law, I have 14 to desist from any product that I buy.
Steam gives me 48 hours only, but then I get a “the product has been consumed”, like if I bought a cookie or something.
So I’ve lost money today, downloaded an addon, tried it, decided that was close to a scam, poor quality, and I wasn’t gonna use it.
Asked Steam for the refund inside their 48hr period, and it turns out, I have ‘consumed’ the addon.
Not gonna buy from Marketplace ever again, until I have an easy way to get a refund directly from it.
Thank you.

12 Likes

Have you used the addon for more than 2 hours as I think that’s how Steam categorized “consumed” on purchased products.

4 Likes

Same here. I’ve had msfs 2020 standard since it was released. Two days ago I decided to upgrade to Premium Deluxe - £70.99 through the marketplace. Because I originally purchased msfs through Steam, the Marketplace redirected me to pay for the “DLC” through steam. This was completed but I don’t have the Premium Deluxe upgrade - not on Steam and not in msfs. Steam refuse to refund because it’s an in-game DLC and I can’t find any way to get this remedied. £71 down the drain as far as I can tell :frowning:

2 Likes

The sound of that addon was drilling my brain, I think I used it for about 20 minutes in total.
I still have to ask Steam what they consider “consumed”, no idea.
My guess, as soon as you redeem, it’s consumed.

But, we have laws… I don’t get it.

3 Likes

This issue is a bit different; open a ticket with Zendesk, and they will activate your purchase.
I’ve read about it here in the forums.

1 Like

im no expert on steam but im pretty sure its 2 hours of ‘use’
the problem here may be, since steam cant track what your doing in game they would count all game hours not just when your using that specific product
and of course steam also counts any menu time for this same reason, so it kinda stinks on games like this that can take half that time to even get loaded and take off

Edit: here it is if you care to read, it is 2 hours use, within 2 weeks of purchase

1 Like

Well, I can then definitely confirm that per those rules I have not ‘consumed’ this add on.
Now, it doesn’t matter.
I’ve got the reply to my case from a, now so popular among customer services’ “No Reply” email account.
Can’t even ask.

I don’t know, I’m buying at The Marketplace, it’s their problem.
And mine :cry:

Here, this is the full reply from Steam about this case.

Hello suburbannun

We cannot grant a refund at this time. In-game item purchases are not refundable if any items in the purchase have been consumed, modified, or transferred.

There you have it, in-game purchases are alien stuff. They are above European laws, apparently.

1 Like

Ahhh so Steam and the MSFS marketplace are classing addons as consumables, the same way mobile apps and games charge users for in app purchases like coins and weapons.

You’ve effectively spent your “currency/consumable” and the aircraft/scenery/airport etc is the byproduct of your purchase, not the purchase itself - sneaky tactic against a loyal community - but perfectly legal.

Future purchase’s should be direct to the developer via their website if you want to avoid this and get a refund for a poor product.

2 Likes

2 hours, and/or 14 days for products brought directly from the Steam store.

If you buy from the Steam version of the MSFS Marketplace, that is in effect an in-app purchase I guess, making Valve not liable? In the same may as buying an MMO via Steam, then using the MMO cash shop to buy something. You didn’t buy it from Valve, only the client was bought from them.

I wouldn’t say that. It’s more like a misunderstanding of where the legal boundaries lie, I think.

1 Like

I have understood that when MSFS is bought through Steam, the purchase is only of the “game”.
Once the game is installed, the first 1.5 GB or so, the remainder of the content is downloaded from Microsoft, as with the Microsoft Store version.
In-game purchases are then from Microsoft.
Perhaps someone can correct me if I have made the wrong assumption?
I do not have the Steam version but I would like to have my facts right.

2 Likes

My understanding is the same as yours. Essentially if you don’t get a receipt from Valve for something, why would they re-imburse you.

Hi, I think this might be quite straight forward. After you buy the deluxe upgrade, you need to go into the in game marketplace and download it. The entitlement should be there.

To explain, I bought premium deluxe on release 2 years ago. When I reinstall, it always installs standard, but I have the premium deluxe entitlement (which is in effect just a big addon). If you are still interested in it you could check the market place for it and it should say “Owned” You then need to select it and install it.

1 Like

Your right to disagree is also my right to disagree with your disagree :laughing:.

MSFS and steam should however make it clear your in game purchase is non-refundable - which is a legal requirement of any product selling entity I think.

3 Likes

It’s probably covered by this:

https://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/#5

1. THIRD-PARTY CONTENT

In regard to all Subscriptions, Content and Services that are not authored by Valve, Valve does not screen such third-party content available on Steam or through other sources. Valve assumes no responsibility or liability for such third party content, unless to the extent provided by mandatory law. Some third-party application software is capable of being used by businesses for business purposes - however, you may only acquire such software via Steam for private personal use.

The topic has unfortunately been hijacked.
It seems to have started with a complaint that an addon for MSFS, not the game itself, had been bought in the in-game Marketplace and that Steam would not give the buyer a refund.
It seems likely that as the product was bought in game, it was bought from Microsoft and not Steam at all.
This would go a long way towards explaining why, even after conforming with the Steam refunds policy, a refund request was rejected.
Once again, I have made assumptions that need to be confirmed by another person who bought MSFS from Steam.
I cannot see any DLC addons for MSFS at Steam, but I may not be looking in the right places of course.

The answer to the original question may well be to request a refund from the actual vendor, Microsoft.
I have read that they have a policy of allowing up to two refunds per year.
I have also read of people having made successful refund requests.
How to make an Xbox digital product refund request | Xbox Support

2 Likes

You need to open a ticket at Zendesk:

Tell 'em what has happened.
The guys at Zendesk will tell the guys at Steam if the can refund you or not.

2 Likes

Youtube … (product title) + review. :wink:

Sorry there are no refunds for software products. That´s why ALWAYS YouTube + Review before buying any game sim DLC addon program etc.

1 Like

This is exactly what I had to do. Go into the marketplace and download it like the way I download world updates.

1 Like

Thanks for the response but the Marketplace still shows a price against the Premium Deluxe Upgrade - and I don’t want to click it again and for out another £71.

I also tried #suburbannun suggestion of contacting Zendesk but, in order to do so, I had to set up an account and I’m stuck in a loop with “you have and unverified email” message. When I respond to the link in the email, it takes me to a pop-up box to add a password and, even though it conforms to all their requirements, sends me to a page with says “403 Forbidden. Attempting a prohibited action”. So frustrating! I’d have given up hours ago if it weren’t for the fact that I’m losing £71 and still have no way to upgrade to Premium Deluxe version! :rage:

1 Like