Weather transition is not smooth after SU7

It is also true for the wind. Variations are not smooth and you have overspeed with the FBW A320.

and here we are again FSX weather depiction 20 years ago !!!
why did I know it when I saw the announcement!
I can only confirm everything, test flight from LEIB to EDDS, it seems that only the data from METAR stations are interpolated and it is almost everywhere the same weather, everywhere the same cloud types, as I said FSX sends its regards and thus MSFS is not usable for me - please back to Forecast version !!!
Please make a beta option for this, is not usable anymore at this state !!!
all those beautiful smooth clouds are gone, windshifts all along the flight and everywhere the same clouds, really looks like FSX, please don’t, not again !!
Could it be that the weather servers are offline ?
screenshots:

two seconds fog layer, than 2 seconds layer no fog layer !!

8 Likes

It’s a mess. Why do Asobo do it again and again and again. They never ever learn. Please, please test these things and stop breaking the sim every single update.

7 Likes

Does anyone else experience sudden pop-in of all the clouds, weather etc shortly after takeoff? Seems a bit odd. Needs to be fixed.

3 Likes

Like I just mentioned in another thread, we had a nicely working, beautiful looking game before we were “exposed” to SU5 and its terrible successors, despite the many bugs, which already existed back then. Why is this going down the drain so quickly now? Soon there’ll be the first high-fidelity plane available for FS2020 and I’m seeing myself going back to P3D if nothing major happens…!

The weather, the performance (especially in VR), the terrible pop-in of objects (like taxiway-signs, try Asobo’s rendition of LSZH for instance), the flickering runway and taxiway lights at night, and all the other bugs reported since SU5 or later make me really lose faith in these guys around Jorg and Sebastian. If others here are still claiming to have faith in them, maybe they should ask themselves the question, why each SU is a huge step backward rather than a small one forward.

8 Likes

@TheMacallan1605

Couldn’t agree more.

I’m afraid many, many people including myself were sad to see this sim turned into a game and brought onto Xbox, we were shouted down, but I’m afraid it’s so obvious how downhill everything has gone since SU5.

Asobo continue to spend their time doing ridiculous stuff like races with silly toy planes whilst the sim itself and those of us who have flight simmed for years and year suffer as a result.

Maybe not what people want to hear, but sadly true, I fear.

10 Likes

yes, especially in the weather, that’s one of the huge advantages of the MSFS !!! I just don’t understand. !!
and then suddenly these clouds, what is that?
Pizza dough ?

Maybe some people here know me - I love MSFS but this is horrible!

These are exactly the transitions you expect from METAR !!!

EDIT: do you see any cloud shadows ?

2 Likes

I haven’t noticed and cloud shadows, but I’ve been preoccupied with how bad everything else has become I haven’t really considered it. I’ll look next time I’m on, I need a little break before I get even more angry!

1 Like

What does this remind you of ? I can only repeat myself, please not again, it’s not like it’s small mistakes, annoyed is not an expression - Jörg and team, you are really “sympathetic” and I appreciate your work since the Alpha but (to put it in German): “was ist das denn”

and that can go on forever !!

I am not going to even attempt to sugarcoat this. This is what everyone wanted. I said it again and again again and again. I could care less about weather according to what’s outside of my window. I really don’t get why people feel so darn obsessed about it. I was having a blast with the weather system in MSFS. It felt and looked real. Who cares if it’s cloudy in the sim and clear outside at a given time. All that matters is how believable it is and if it’s a correct simulation of weather and not a correct snapshot of the current real-life weather.
What could be done is keep the weather as they had and introduce METAR slips based on the weather in the simulator and not have the simulator weather be based on METAR.

I am sorry folks, but this one is on you (the community) being obsessed about METAR based weather for MSFS and not giving it a rest. And it’s the same fear I have when it comes to other features. People don’t care about it being as real as it gets. People want it as FSX/P3D or XP as it gets.

And you know what was the best part of the weather engine? When flying multiplayer online by fellow pilots saw the same exact cloud(s) I could see at the same position. When flying through rough air I could tell them about it and they would experience the same thing.

Sorry about getting emotional.

PS: But let’s see how it goes. I haven’t fully checked the weather out myself yet. And perhaps these are glitches. But MS/Asobo … please if a METAR based weather system can’t get rid of these unwanted side-effect we had with FSX/P3D then get rid of it. Or at least give the option.

Even if there is so much polishing to do with the new simulation the MSFS+FBW combo has already been more immersive than anything I had with P3D. And we don’t even have all the premium aircraft yet.

23 Likes

No, but many of us have said it, I have partly stopped using P3D5.x and XP11 just because of the weather engine, because MSFS with its engine (also with missing features) just felt “realistic” - I don’t understand how some people can consider it “realistic” (see screenshots), they can’t have never been sitting in a plane.
For me THAT was the reason to use MSFS, although the change was not easy for me (system depth airliner, tools, etc.) and then this - FSX with new lighting engine!

I need more turbulence when flying through clouds and headshaking/movement…

2 Likes

Btw. I don’t want a “smooth” weather transition. I don’t want any “transition” whatsoever. That was (or “is”, if this is just a glitch) one of the best things about MSFS weather. There was no “transition”. You flew “into” the weather, rather than the weather follow you, which was the most immersion breaking thing about FSX/P3D weather.

Again METAR should be based on weather and not the other way around.

9 Likes

People on VATSIM, IVAO or PilotEdge.

The idea was that the METAR’s being ijnected would make the weather accurate in the vicinity of an airport, and this would be factored in to the predictive model for the weather inbetween.

Has this smooth transition from one to the other gone wrong somehow, perhaps related to the live weather outage reported last night-ish, or is this somehow working as designed?

Yes I will admit there are challenges when it comes to VATSIM. Unless you have a MSFS-only VATSIM server then you could use METAR based on the weather in the simulator. Or perhaps even find a way for other platforms to use the MSFS Metar to inject weather, maybe even via active sky. Because on VATSIM you really only need a comon weather for everyone. Doesn’t need to be the live real world snapshot.
Wether people want to believe it or not MSFS has the superior weather engine in the sense of depicting and simulating weather, despite it’s rough edges still.
Downgrading it for it to adapt to a multi-platform online network can’t be the preferable solution here.

I really believe there should be an attempt (if it can easily be done) to get a METAR-system based on the weather depicted in MSFS and then have an option for VATSIM and the other platforms/software to use these METAR parameters.

1 Like

Noticed the abrup weather change on Xbox Series X last night.

Was smooth prior to this latest update.

:pensive:

that’s clear, but there are already tools that do that, and not badly at that!

You are apparently not reading what I am posting. It is obvious that it seems impossible to implement METAR based weather without “transitions” (I don’t care how smooth they want to make it). Transitions in terms of weather changing or to put it differently: The METAR forcing weather change is not realistic.
It’s hardly a simulation anymore when you have external factors temparing with it (in this case METAR).
“It’s a sim, first and foremost!”

I am trying to offer solutions here so I am having a hard time figuring out how that makes me ignorant.
I use VATSIM and SimBrief. I too come across it’s limitations with the MSFS weather engine, while SimBrief uses real-live weather. I am yet to hear good arguments why we couldn’t add MSFS’s weather-system for SimBrief, VATSIM, etc… to work with.

Again I am trying to offer solutions to keep the “simulation” aspect of MSFS weather system running without external interference (METAR). I am happy to here other potential solutions as I still feel downgrading shouldn’t be the option.
But calling one another ignorant won’t help the matter. Your turn.

Btw I see two different things in “correct weather simulation” and “current real-life weather out the window”. I prefer the former, because as you said weather is essential for flight. That we agree on. And currently it seems impossible to have both

1 Like

hmm, so that’s not quite right. I AM A REAL SIMMER.
Cold and Dark, Flight Planning, Pilot2ATC, etc.etc.
But what use has METAR if the immersion is taken away from me by this “oh no so accurate METAR data”, then I can just stay with FSX!
There are tools that already work with METAR for MSFS and one of them is even free!
The point is that the rendering is completely off and doesn’t really work well either.
It is always different for everyone what is realistic and what is not. I want to see what I see out of the window or from a plane (which until SU7 was about the same, of course except for the missing features like visibility etc.) and not something that could be correct according to data !
There could have just been an option, Live Weather with METAR or not, and if it doesn’t work properly anyway then I would have waited and implemented it when it is really good. for me the SIM is not usable like that, even if it is only visual. !
Of course it needs accurate weather, you’re absolutely right - but not in this form!

2 Likes

No worries there. I am glad we can keep addressing the matter respectfully. I fear that in the near future there probably won’t be a solution to have both (“real life” METAR and a fully dynamic uninterupted weather simulation at the same time). The thing is I got heavily spoiled by how MSFS projects it’s weather. It’s far from perfect, but it’s still quite ahead of what was there before, including active sky (which is bound by P3D’s limitations).
It feels much more like there is a lot going on it’s atmosphere. Right now VATSIM, Simbrief, etc… are using real-life METAR as a source.
What if MSFS can create it’s own METAR strips for what’s going on in the sim. I mean the sim “knows” what the wind is and what the clouds are doing, otherwise it couldn’t depict it. So you get a METAR strips to what’s going on in the Simulator at that given time.
Then have all online network services including VATSIM, SimBrief and even ActiveSky use METARs that were created in MSFS. Make MSFS-METAR a source of its own.

We can keep the uninterrupted dynamics of the MSFS weather and everyone on VATSIM and Simbrief (no matter the platform) will be on the same weather as well. It obviously all depends how easily such a thing can be done, which it probably won’t be. But I don’t see why this can’t be done.
And that’s generally what I mean by “why are people so obsessed by what is going on outside”. Not because of it’s current practicality of being used on online networks.

Basically I am asking why do online networks need to be using what’s going on outside as it’s source?
And when I talk about “outside weather” I mean what’s going on right “now”. You still need to have some outside weather source obviously, but it doesn’t really matter if it’s 2 minutes or 2 hours old as long as the weather “simulation” stays true to what you would expect in real life. And that’s all the matters for me.
2 hours old weather working as it should or 2 min old weather being spoonfed by METAR.

1 Like