Weather transition is not smooth after SU7

Yeah, this kind of thing has been happening since they started trying to use METAR, it broke everything so now there are constant sudden changes in weather.

2 Likes

Just wish we could turn all of those transitions off. I think most of us rather have it inaccurate than like this we have now. Please correct me if iā€™m wrong.

12 Likes

Do we have any update on on if this will get addressed in sim update 10?

The transitions are awful. Just had overcast jump to scattered and the other day I was on approach where all of a sudden some haze at ground level appeared. The weather used to be miles better than this. Just totally kills the expereince at the moment

5 Likes

Unfortunately not. As per the last Development Update, planned weather improvements in upcoming Sim Updates are:
Wishlist:
1- Cloud Layer Improvements (Bugs LT #2, #17) | SU 10
Fine-tuning of the cloud layer system to be more precise and incremental is ongoing. The cloud layer will be much thinner at sea level and thicker at higher altitudes. The updated system will better depict a realistic cloud coverage at low altitude with an update of the weather panel.
2- #29 ā†’ 532 votes Thermals, Up & Downdrafts - Realism Update Started

Bugs:
#01 ā†’ 1151 votes Live Weather Does Not Match Started (Several Releases)

They donā€™t mention something in particular regarding the weather transition. We need to wait for SU10 Beta and the Release notes to see if they have included other points than the 3 ones above mentioned.

5 Likes

This is the most important to fix first of all in my opinion because i think we see those transitions because of server issues.

Without correct data from severs we will never see weather getting better.

5 Likes

Agree, and moreover it is flagged a ā€œbug-loggedā€, so hopefully they are working on it and it will be part of SU10.

5 Likes

Itā€™s strange that here it has been stated as bug-logged since after su7. To me that means they know what causing it. But on the dev-blog top-issue list itā€™s stated under investigation.

Actually, bug-logged means that the topic was pushed into Azure Dev Ops (ADO). From there, the developers look at all these pushes. How itā€™s processed and prioritized, I donā€™t know. :man_shrugging:

This particular topic was logged December 15, 2021.

1 Like

Well, hope they find the cause soon. I have really tried to enjoy the sim but those hard transitions is really bad. Doesnā€™t feel like weather at all and really hard to know what weather i will have when landing when knowing that the next second i can have a completely different weather with 0 visibility. Weather doesnā€™t behave like that.

Every single user use the weather while flying in this sim. Fixing weather issues benefit every single user. Feels like it would be good prioritizing that.

15 Likes

Yesterdayā€™s flight: 3 extreme wind transitions at cruise altitude that ruined the flight. The flight was only 90 minutes long. On final approach I could see the airport clearly, at about 2000ā€™ agl a fog layer pops in surrounding the airport. A few seconds later, almost zero visibility. This is garbage.

9 Likes

This is a problem that often arises with automatic METAR reports.
I remember this winter in Samedan, the METAR was reporting CAVOK, then a shallow fog layer hugged the airport and transmissometers which resulted in the next METAR reporting 100 metres visibility in freezing fog. I left the cockpit for a few minutes and BOOM, couldnā€™t see a thing and the whole plane was frozen over.

If they plan on using METARs in the future as well, this is something that they need to work on. Although I donā€™t have any idea how you could possibly make this work. Perhaps make the shift in weather slower and not sudden?

6 Likes

The transitions frequency needs to be at least 60Hz and over a time frame as 15minutes or something.

As it is now the clouds changes in 1Hz = 1 change per second that we can see when the clouds changes, they change form every second. And they have no time set for those transitions. Itā€™s instant. From 1 second to next it can be a completely different weather. Often there is no new METAR for 30 minutes. That means it has 30 minutes to transition. A transition should never take more than 30minutes though.

But we need to know that if they use 30 minutes to transition it canā€™t be dynamic weather when those transitions occure. A dynamic thing doesnā€™t need to transition between different fixed values because itā€™s dynamic and not in a fixed state.

METAR-reports are static low detail information about weather that has occured not dynamic.

Real weather is always dynamic and transitions into an unpredictable state in unlimited Hz over unlimited time frame and it will always match what we see and observe at that moment. After that moment we will never see exactly the same weather again. The weather we had at release felt like this. Could never imagine Asobo would thought hard transitions into METAR would be better than what we had. I hope they find a solution.

Try describe those conditions in detail with a METAR-report. For me weather is a visual thing that needs to be dynamic to feel believable. I know Asobo never can get the live-weather into the sim but they can make it believable because iā€™ve seen it at release of this sim.

If they can transform METAR to be dynamic all the time and also fit the rest of the worlds weather i would be happy. We should not be able to notice itā€™s changed into METAR at all.

9 Likes

Anything in SU10 to address this?

Still bugged

2 Likes

Have about 1h flight and no hard transition. Maybe because it was probably not in range of any airport that reports metar. Overal weather appearance was the best I have ever seen. With a great variety of different types and layers. Towering cumulus and something like cumulonimbus clavius in the front of overcasted stratus includes. Unfortunately - still not adequate vertical air movement in cumulus. Probably pure visual effect. Beta SU10

3 Likes

There is an existing thread in the wishlist section, hope it will get enough votes to be implemented one day:

Realistic Dangerous Weather - Physics Simulation

3 Likes

A few minutes ago as I was descending, I noticed what looked like wind blowing the trees. I was trimmed perfectly for landing and suddenly had hurricane force tail wind and a reported (by ATC) altimeter reading of 27.99. Local Metar from Allmetsat indicated 29.63. My plane stalled and nose dived into the ground 3 miles from the threshold. This is by far the worst representation of weather Iā€™ve seen. I was landing at my home airport - CYFC - and there is no wind outside my house at the moment. 2 hour flight ruined. Metar is so inaccurate that they need to get rid of it. Iā€™m ready to dump FS. Absolutely ridiculous.

4 Likes

50kt crosswind to 129kt tailwind instantaneously. Hereā€™s what it did to my planeā€¦

weather transitions are still very abrupt even in su10 beta! Iā€™ve noticed that this happens when the world map updates, and even then the data injected is far behind the real world weather. Given that the official release date for su 10 is next weekā€¦i think we can expect this issue to last for another while :frowning:

I certainly can confirm that no significant improvements to the transitions have been made in SU10. Iā€™m currently doing my very first flight with the update and I immediately witnessed again, how a big swathe of cloud cover spanning an area of approximately 900 square miles disappeared from one second to the next.

3 Likes