Weird Looking Volume Drive in Defrag casused by MSFS

Thanks. Already Reported it

Nice :muscle::ok_hand: Perfect.

Small tip if you want to delete many devices at ones (there can be 100’s). Use Devmanview from Nirsoft shift/select and uninstall devices. Just be sure to not select a active one.

1 Like

@Cygnifick Thanks. Will have a look at it.

@WatchfulLand959 I also have Xvd listed, like you mentioned.

1 Like

@WatchfulLand959

Do I just right click and uninstall XVD ?
And how to check if it’s not Virtual RAM drive ?

Sorry, this is a liitle too advanced for my knowledge :slight_smile:

Yep i got the same. Noticed immediately after installing msfs (ms store non-custom address)

Never seen this happen before. I was all “panic! Hackxers!”… then remembered i had just installed msfs which makes absolute perfect sense

1 Like

The Xvd is the active virtual drive for rolling cache and preload scenery from MSFS in normal status. This is totally ok. No RamDrive.

If you click in the device manager “hidden entries”. It will show left entries of the Xvd.
This must be deleted manually at current state.

1 Like

Oh my, there must be 50 XVDs. I will now delete them. Thanks

Don’t delete all of them. I had 1, deleted it and the game could no longer be found. Had to reinstall.

1 Like

Yeah, I left the one that was not hidden intact.
Flew the sim after I read your post, everything appears to be fine!!
Phew!!! :grin:

1 Like

Does it actually stop defrag from working? If it just gives log errors you shouldn’t need to bother. I have a ton of hidden devices and it never caused me any troubles.

1 Like

I don’t need defrag because of NVME normally. I don’t think it stops or cause problems running defrag.

Ram Drives are another thing, if the configuration is not set right it will cause defrag problems. But that’s not MSFS related.

I deleted left hidden device entries periodical and would say it improve performance and at the end it’s sorted clean.

1 Like

Added your post to the list of useful posts here:

1 Like

No it doesn’t stop defrag or trim of other drives but Event Viewer showed that Defrag tried to defrag the weird volume and caused error :
The storage optimizer couldn’t complete retrim on \?\Volume{7f097486-c44d-0a20-caa4-777120426601}\ because: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume. (0x8900002A)
Furthemore there were 50+ XVD’s listed!!!

So just to avoid errors I followed @WatchfulLand959 suggestion

1 Like

Solution. But must be fixed due MS.

1 Like

Dear folks, quite a number of you say that it is out of the scope of your knowledge.
Why do you touch that ?

Is it causing you errors or any other stuff that directly point at the Xvd volume ?
(and this ^^ detail is important)

Just leave it alone.
Enjoy life and enjoy the simulator. :slight_smile:

If the developer says “hey people, you know we identified a problem, yall should go there and manually delete this and that” - then allright.
Otherwise…

Look, I see people experiencing totally bizarre issues with the simulator and “Microsoft or Asobo did it”.
Then after they hire me, when I remotely connect to sort things out, I am welcomed by both the massacred Windows and the simulator on it…poor little souls both somehow doing their best attempting to repair themselves via the automated built-in mechanisms… :cry:

“Wtf, how did this happen, how did X got there and…okay I see the logs…okay, so why did you do it ?? - Well, you know, I went there and I saw Y for the first time…but I don’t know what “there” actually is and I also don’t have a clue what is that Y I’m seeing, so I asked Google and I read somewhere that I should delete it…so I deleted that folder and removed the Y, so I gained 5fps, runs smoother or whatever, etc.”…

Just…don’t touch anything, please. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

PC “owners” and Windows users must be aware of this dev madness. It is not a good practise to create thousan of hidden volumes for nothing. I think this is a problem of Xbox app and all gamepass service games installed. On each load, more and more Xvd and his respective volumes are created in “our” drives instead of only preserve one per game installed, being kind and respectful enough to clean the rest of them properly. At the end, lack of information of what they do in “our machines” plus lack of true tech support are pushing us trying to solve the problems by ourself. I dont know what is happening but I feel, looking all Microsoft problems and crazy development in the last times, they are loosing north dangerously. When one machine’s piece fails, the responsability may be in that dev department but when all pieces are failing, the problem must be upstairs. Xbox app is a ■■■■, MFS2020 is a ■■■■, windows store is a ■■■■… all are Microsoft services and software running over Microsoft OS!!! ¿¿¿???. It is incredible that ANY game service from other companies are working years light better than that. But the big problem is not the bugs. The really BIG problem is the absense of responsability, respect and real feedback whit the “community”. SFC, DISM and reinstall all OS from scratch seams to be the only generic solution for almost everything. I’m coming from one of that after a MFS2020 update fail. The only solution was a CLEAN reinstall of Windows 10 to make possible a *!## game wants to be intalled again. This is not rasoneable for a supposed at the tech peak company and unfortunally the “dont touch anything” advise (till your system cracks for one or another reason due to garbage acumulation…), is not valid when nobody cares of the things they broke or “forgot” hidden in the device manager expecting stupid users and costumers doesn’t taking account or even care. SO MICROSOFT: Thousans of XVD hidden volumens are invading our device manager. FIX IT. CLEAN IT. TAKE CARE OF THAT or almost publish a tech note advising about that, becoue at the end it will be a problem to solve with another… CLEN WINDOWS 10 reinstallation!!!.

Just… FIX IT and be respectfull with us, MICROSOFT

What is invading our systems, what to fix, chill out…

First of all there’s nothing to “fix” - hidden system files and other system things are something users are not supposed to touch, delete or whatever if they don’t know what they’re doing.
What kind of thinking is that ?
You want the developers to explain what they’re doing…to users ?
To explain something which takes 10 years of studying and 10 years of experience to end-users ?
That won’t happen.

Also, if you have had an unfortunate experience, that doesn’t mean everyone has it - actually it’s a small percentage of users who experience such failures.
No software is perfect - but also user’s machines ain’t perfect in any way.
You have to understand that every piece of software, every patch for anything, every update for Windows and its components (and for MSFS and other AAA titles as well) go trough a rigorous process of testing that’s performed according to stringent industry standards.
According to those standards, something like Windows or a AAA title MUST NOT and WILL NOT be released if the detection of bugs, failures and other errors would occur in any significantly larger test sample.

I’m trying to tell you that the stuff you experienced is actually a rare occurrence.
Any issues you were or are experiencing, surely do not stem from the hidden virtual drives - and you surely cannot prove that.

Get a computer engineer degree…or…or just don’t touch anything. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So, end users have not the right to know whats happening on his machines and we have to obtain an engineer degree to know by ourselfs what the services we are paying for are technically doing? No, I’m sorry but I can’t agree whit that. OS’s users have a wide range of computing experience and tasking neccesities. From none to expertise, from domestic to profesional. A platform like Windows must almost try to cover and support all that range. Maybe I dont need to learn all the in deep details a developer must own to implement XVD, but to know what are basically doing in my hard drive and where are coming from or what service created that, is a must. I dont know if is a developer obligation to do that, but… I know Microsoft is loosing the respect to user when I open a system tool like Defrag to discover all this unknow volumes with no description about. First thing you may suspect can be a malware action for example. And if the user have a minimun knowlegment the most rasonable action is to invest what the hell is that and what are doing there. Next rasoneble step is to go device manager, show hidden devices awaiting his next connection and discover dozens and dozens of XVD for only two gamepass games. I supposed because I dont know where are coming from. The gamepass theory is the result of my invest and, no, this is not exceptional case. This is happening to every gamepass users so… almost a cheap tech note is required to help wide range users to identify thats not a malfunction or a malware infection. If this is a “normal” behaviour it must be documented. Because, remember, Windows is the host, not the malware. Isn’t it?

Don’t touch anything is not a reasonable answer for an OS (operative, system). Think about the meaning of that words. And no, a 10 years experience answer is not required to be respectful with us. It is a little more easy. What’s happening upstairs when an Alpha 100€ supossed AAA game runs over a beta pay service like Xbox gamepass PC app, crossed with a permanently malfuntioning Microsoft store?. What happends is the system starts doing weird things. Things that may drive user to reinstall all system from zero bacause of “unknow” failures. From unlimmited ghost volumes to speed limiting NIC’s. All this things and more are happening only since Xbox services own my machine.

Maybe you as user are confortable with that. Not me.

3 Likes

End users are basically given a plenty of documentation together with the OS. There are number of laws and regulation governing everything you mentioned. Every information you inquired is actually there within Microsoft knowledge-base.
I really don’t get your frustration.

You are obviously angry due to having experienced a number of issues over the years…
Then you mention malware, xvd, potential threats, problems, etc. It doesn’t have anything to do with anything, it’s as if you’re talking about some conspiracy theories man…

Xvd…it’s hidden…it’s classified as a system module hidden by default with a reason, and there’s a setting in Windows by which you can enable the visibility of such objects - when you do that, you get a warning that you should basically know what you’re doing, correct ? Correct.
Now, what is the issue you are experiencing on your system, being caused by 3 or 50 such containers present ?
You can present your case to the Microsoft support, there is a technical documentation you will fill out, you will explain the issue and the exact way to reproduce it, etc.

But you know what I think ?
I think you just don’t like the aesthetics of 3 or 50 something unknown to you being present there where you decide to…touch…that’s all. :slight_smile:

====================================================

A doctor writes the analysis for a patient after the performed ECG examination, then goes on with providing an explation to the patient in layman’s terms.
If that patient subsequently demands to know what does the “QT interval” entry on that report mean, the doctor doesn’t have any obligation to explain it whatsoever…and my colleges working in medical fields of science and I actually talked about this years ago and we all agree that they absolutely do NOT have such an obligation…
…let alone to justify a situation in which a doctor decides to explain it after all, followed by patient not understanding a word anymore and going on a tamper-tantrum claiming he/she is being denied the right to know what’s going on inside his/her body !!?

Like, whaaaat ?? :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed::astonished:

OR ! :point_up::smirk:

A person picks up a prescription, a pharmacist provides the necessary information…a person then goes on to read the medication’s pharmacokinetics on Wikipedia while taking a dump, at one point all of a sudden having his attention drawn to a notice within some passage there about his medication’s slight potential in causing “rise in CYP2D6 cytochrome”.
A person subsequently goes back to the pharmacy and starts givin’ s
** to the pharmacist demanding an explanation of “CYP2D6” and why is there a potential of it rising when he/she takes that medication !*
Because he/she just doesn’t like that…sounds bad when something is…rising…somewhere there…rubs the wrong way, know what I mean…?
Also, that “cytochrome”, why have people not been given any explanation about any of those things…that are…rising…
…the evil drug and these insidious hidden system files, xvd containers and the evil pharmacists, doctors, programmers and engineers conspired in a massive malpractice and human rights violation - they should hang !!

====================================================

You know, it is called madness.
No, you won’t be given an explanation, get a degree or learn it by yourself, whatever.