What CPU should I buy?

What’s pretty amazing is that an i7 8096k/Rtx 3090 combination still only has a 4.75% bottleneck.

Intel really have been sitting on their hands for too long. I am hoping that they have finally pulled their fingers out with Alder Lake and we see some good competition again because I am looking to upgrade CPU/mobo/ram etc within the next year (if this semi conductor shortage ever allows that.)

I buy an Intel Core i7-11700K processor with an RTX 3070 TI or 3080 video card. Do you think the pairing is correct?

I have 11900K with 3080 and only fly in VR Reverb G2.
And i love it.

I’d advise you to wait for the 12th gen… The 11th gen is actually worse than 10th gen, and 12th gen will be better than both of them. And the 12th gen is just months away.

1 Like

Just bought a 5900x to pair with my 3090 and I’m in my happy place.

1 Like

How much will 12th generation products cost? Is there any preliminary information? I can pay $ 450 to buy a processor.

Thanks for all the help!

I can’t find any price as of yet. But some news article suggest that they should be available on 4 November 2021.

1 Like

So long as people realise that currently more than eight cores brings little for the sim and their speed is the all important factor.

3 Likes

I guess it depends on what else are you going to use the PC with. I don’t find making a PC that is used “exclusively for MSFS” to be financially sensible. If I build a PC that can run MSFS, I better make sure it can do everything else too, like Video editing, graphic design, 3D modelling and rendering, doing some work, gaming with other games, etc. Something that I think more cores would help.

1 Like

For sure but I was thinking more for those like me on a tight budget that don’t do a lot of heavy lifting, although I do some video editing it’s not enough to justify huge expense especially if that means a new mainboard, ram, psu etc. on top, as it is I spent twice as much on a gpu than I originally intended. And as I alluded to earlier, for the sim my €260 3800X cpu should comfortably run a rtx3080 and possibly even the 90.

I guess it’s all about balance… sometimes when on a tight budget, it’s good to hold off while keep on saving to grow that budget, so you can get something of a higher end, so that you don’t need to upgrade even 5-7 years down the line. But it also depends on how much you “need” the PC right now versus if you’re willing to wait.

1 Like

Using a custom water cooled 5900x/RX6800 combo coupled with a Samsung 49” monitor
Use 32gig(2x16) of DDR4-3600 ram and 1tb Nvme4 ssd.
Fast and smooth!

1 Like

I’ve got a Ryzen 9 3900x paired with a 3090 and Samsung 49. Seems as though the CPU isn’t taxed too much in any game I play. The sim doesn’t seem to want more than 30% of it even with 9 LOD and maxed out settings in highly detailed places and/or with bad weather. No game I’ve ever played has asked for more. I plan on picking up a 5950x around the holidays if I can snag one for a good price though. For now, my pairing works perfectly.

1 Like

god help you all

Interesting. How did you do your bottleneck calculation?

Here in the UK, my next move will be to get the AMD 7 5800X It will give me a 30% increase of the Single Thread Rating from my 3700X, and at the moment the CPU is on sale at £299. All the others are £50 to £150 more expensive.

My current configuration with 5 Ultra settings and LOD on 130 using an MSI Optix 3440 x 1440 screen
runs at
GPU 59°C 85%
CPU 64°C 30%
30 - 45 FPS

Window 10 pro 64
Thrustmaster Airbus SideStick & 2 Lever Quadrant
Ryzen 7 3700X
GIGABYTE RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB GAMING OC Pro
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (DDR4-3200)
Gigabyte 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe
Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE
MSI Optix 3440 x 1440

Actually you will find a couple of cores with a moderately heavy load so 30% isn’t a true reflection but even then there’s a lot of free capacity to be tapped.

1 Like

30 - 45 fps? … so no vsync yet you are neither gpu or cpu limited? That would suggest something on the rest of your system is running slow

Not sure I get where you’re going with this comment. You will always be limited by something. At 1440p with a 3060 Ti, that limitation will be at the CPU.

Yet he says his is at 30% and 64°C