What does a new buyer get?

I purchased msfs on the day it was released, Aug 18th last year. Of course I have continually added the new Scenery packages and updates.

But what actually does a person get if they buy the simulator today? Will they automatically get the Japanese update, the UK update, the European update, and US update? Are these automatically downloaded and installed with their initial installation of the simulator? Or, do they have to manually add them in the content manager?

I’ve had it since Sept, I recently wiped it completely off my computer registry traces and all and reinstalled, and It downloaded the updates but not the scenery updates, though those are avaliable in the marketplace, so my guess would be they would get the game in the whatever the latest version is at the time.

Someone buying it new today gets the same thing everyone else does. They have access to all sim and world updates since launch.

None of the world updates will be automatically installed. They all need to be manually installed from the marketplace.

5 Likes

Thank you for the clarification

Interesting thought then. I have been following your dropping FPS issue. What if you installed fresh, and did not add the world updates? Would your FOS be restored? I am not advocating it as an advisable course of action, but mulling over the potential.

You didn’t think the installer actually fully installed the game did you? Welcome to MSFS.

I honesty was not sure if the installer automatically added all the additional content. Obviously I have received it incrementally since Aug 18th. But did not know from experience if a new customer would get it automatically as opposed to manual download via the content manager.

I did a fresh install of Windows about a month back and obviously reinstalled the sim. Even before downloading the world updates, I managed to get a few fps more after. Nothing significant though.

I got it late Feb and got the US/Japan/UK updates.
I had to select them to be installed using marketplace, but they were there.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic.

To get a full update (when they happen), there are 4 steps:

1. Get the core exe update from Steam or MS Store. For me this happens when I launch Steam because I have it set to autoupdate MSFS. This tells the sim to go to step 2.
  2. When you launch the game (now a new exe), it will automatically (you have no choice) update more code (sometimes small, 1-2 GB, sometimes bigger, 20-30 GB). Then it drops you in the main page in the game.
  3. If there’s a free scenery update (like US, UK, etc.), YOU then have to go into the marketplace, find the update, click on Buy and Download, and let it download another 10 GB or whetever. Then you have the new regional (world) update.
  4. Step 3 only grabs the scenery update, and with these there are often DL content updates to stuff that you already have. So you go into Profile, Content Manager, Update available, and download all that appear.

After those 4 steps, you are fully updated (not including out-of-game downloads in the community folder, you’re on your own to DL/replace those of course).

You should do Step 4 periodically since updates become available randomly and there’s no other notification that one is there for you. However, they seem to often come all at once with “world updates”.

After all that, I strongly recommend closing the game and restarting it.

I hope a new buyer does not confuse this post of getting a full update
with their getting a new install which is what the Topic is about.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.