What exactly is a "serious simmer"

Sometimes I struggle to take life seriously, let alone a simulator :rofl:

2 Likes

So realistically, the definition applies to how you fly in the simulation, following appropriate procedures, etc. So unless there was some certification test that PC users could give former XBox users to get certified, there is no way a a former XBox user can be welcome in the PC community, or be treated with respect.

Wish I had known that before I laid out the $8000 to switch platforms. I’m 58 years old. My generation, it was a part of our culture back in the 60’s that if you didn’t belong somewhere, you didn’t go there. I’ve played MMO’s, and elitists tell you, you have no business being in raids. So guess what, all the MMO’s I’ve ever played, I’ve never done a raid because others have told me before I even prove myself that I’ve got no business being there. PVP I’ve never done for the same reason. But PC users, they come out and tell you, you have no business being in the PC version of their sim because you are former XBox and not a serious simmer. And sometimes, I get in the sim, and then I DO feel like I shouldn’t be there because people tell me I don’t belong there. I feel like I should do as they say, go back to XBox. And I really don’t get it. Someone who buys a PC, and comes into MSFS for the first time because it’s on PC GamePass, and they are welcome. No clue if they will stay with the sim or not. But someone who has used the sim for 6 months on another platform, and shows the interest to step into the PC platform, they get attacked and not treated with respect and told to go back to their original platform. And I don’t even get what that accomplishes. Say I go back to XBox. I start up the sim there, you are still going to end up flying with me. I really don’t get the whole attacking people and chasing them back to their original platform, because what does that even gain?

5 Likes

You know you’re a serious simmer when you wear a headset and a shirt with epaulettes.

3 Likes

Wow, Falcon…that wasn’t yesterday.

I see that happening and it is just disgusting, everyone has to start somewhere in order to become an elitist so why criticise those that wish to follow. Oh on second thoughts once you are an elitist then you want to remain so and do not welcome anyone who dares to try and do better and exceed the elitists level. I seems like fear to me, fear of not being second best but even of only being equal. I should feel sorry for the critics but I just cannot.

2 Likes

When you’re flying above 12,500ft for more than 30 minutes in the 182T and have to put on the oxygen (cpap) mask.

#talktomegoose

34 Likes

A serious simmer doesn’t have to know everything and do everything, but they do try and they do care about those things and if something is realistic, a casual does not care, and if someone doesn’t care about realism, a simulator isn’t really for them. This is coming from someone who likes games as well, let’s just be honest and accurate about what’s what, that’s the important thing.

7 Likes

LOL. Thanks for proving my point!

2 Likes

What exactly is a serious simmer?

To answer your question: I think it’s a label created by folk so they can justify having fun playing.

MSFS is a fun game to play. Sadly some folk have an uptight attitude to that sort of thing.

10 Likes

I built a dedicated cockpit… just because.

But dont call me Serious!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ixljWVyPby0

:rofl:

It’s right when the water is about to boil.

18 Likes

I believe he/she is somewhat like a ‘serious’ wine drinker who detects the ‘essence’ of apples and apricots in their wine. I’ve eaten apples and apricots and have drunk wine for most of my 90+ years. Never tasted anything but modified grape-juice, so I’m not a ‘serious’ wine drinker. I’ve enjoyed computer flight sim since the first one, about 50 years. Don’t do it every day (I have other things to do) and don’t follow startup or in-flight procedures, never have, so I guess I’m not ‘serious’, but I do have fun. :joy:

10 Likes

Those guys that say “MSFS is a game, not a sim” in every thread, without provocation.

EDIT: see below :rofl:

1 Like

maybe the topic should have read:
You know you are a serious simmer when:

• you add flightsimming to your resume…

I think the most important thing is remembering it is just a simulation. No matter how realistically you simulate it or how “serious” you take it, none of us simmers, (unless an IRL pilot, obviously) could fly a real plane, not even a tiny Cessna.

A serious simmer spawns at a gate/ramp…a “not so serious” simmer spawns on the runway!:joy: Problem solved!!!

7 Likes

Flight instructors say that´s more easy than driving a car - so yes all simmers who are able to navigate, read charts, fly from VOR to VOR etc. could sit into a Cessna 152 or 172 and fly and land that Cessna.
Flying a small plane is no rocket science only a handful of very special elitist people worldwide are “capable of” - it´s easy and fun.
You can even book self-flying Cessna hours with a flight instructor for fun at Jollydays, MyDays, and other adventure providers but these are expensive (sometimes 300-400€ per hour). It´s that easy yes.

2 Likes

This is a Game not a Sim…
Don’t expect anything more…

2 Likes

No, trust me, you, me or any other simmer couldn’t just hop in solo and fly the thing and land successfully.
I’m a student pilot on c150s and had been simming before the flying lessons. I can tell you it’s not as similar to simming as you may think. Even if you have the whole setup, yoke, pedals whatever, you will not get anywhere near flying the real thing. And that’s just the flying… add radio comms on top of that and it gets a lot harder.
The motion of the aircraft is a huge part of real flying. Also the fact that you actually have to fight against the airflow to manipulate the control surfaces. Don’t forget motion sickness either.
Back on topic, I think everyone has their own definition of what a serious simmer is. In my opinion it’s anyone who is trying to actually gain real world knowledge about aviation itself, whether it be for a job or just for fun, and even general physics. If they take simming seriously, they are a serious simmer to me.

3 Likes

In my opinion, your description fits the bill. I consider myself a flight simmer, with no need to be considered “serious” to precede the title. Since the late 1980’s and certainly with the coming of Windows 95 and forward, I became a student of flying airplanes. Always drawn to steam gauges, navigating with VOR and IFR, wanted to learn proper procedures for applying flaps, angle of descent, just wanting to fly the plane paying respect to the field. Ignore the chuckles from those who would belittle your question and fail to summon the nerve to answer the question. Still, it does answer, doesn’t it? I mean, if I opened a thread, saw that it didn’t really appeal to me, I would simply back out. Not show my ___.

1 Like