What happened to cumulus / cumulonimbus clouds? SU7 UPDATE Now too many?

UPDATE AFTER SU7 (1.21.18.0): Now all we seem to have are cumulus type clouds and ugly cotton “puffs” all over the place. They are usually the same height and are all over the place and the clouds look really bad. We have lost all cloud types that we used to see say back around SU3 and before. We have no more true overcast, lost the beautiful thin and (important) OPAQUE higher layers of overcast, broken and few, as well as lower layers of overcast, broken, and few opaque stratus type clouds. The clouds no longer have defined opaque transitions, meaning they are wispy-like and our visibility doesn’t go from good (outside of a cloud) to “nothing” when entering a cloud. It just kind of “fades” to lower visibility, especially when looking down. That takes a ton of immersion away of “flying through a cloud”. We no longer see the beautiful god rays that used to poke through the broken clouds to the ground, I’m not sure what happened but can we get all of these clouds from early release versions BACK? It seems that when MSFS first released, we had a larger “variety” of clouds, and they looked BEAUTIFUL.

Is there testing going on after SU7 where the studio maybe removed all cloud types except cumulus to accommodate the METAR weather? The new attempts to simulate overcast at an airport with METAR really looks bad and does not simulate overcast very good at all. It is almost as if the big puffy clouds are supposed to “trick” us into thinking it’s overcast or something. I’ve got over 1,200 hours in this sim and have seen transformation of the clouds go to jaw dropping beautiful, to jaw dropping awful and It’s nothing personal because the simulator is awesome, but just wanted to bring this to the attention to the studio.

If we simply cannot have METAR mixed with the prediction system (or if we do it looks like it does today) then I for one wish we could just have an on/off switch - one for using the newer “METAR system mixed with prediction system” and then the other setting to JUST use the “old” prediction only system WITH the “old” clouds we had pre SU3 (before changes had to be made for XBOX?)

BEFORE SU7 (following text is the original post from June 2021): Especially cumulus clouds and cumulonimbus. Maybe it’s the areas I’m flying in as to why I don’t see them, but I don’t see those anymore?

I’m flying in areas like Florida, where I live and looking outside in the real world this time of year (summer), I always see towering cumulonimbus clouds, cumulus, and eventually those turn into thunderstorms extending to 30,000 feet plus height. I would fully expect to see these types of clouds in MSFS (we KNOW it’s capable because we’ve all witnessed them!), but do not anymore. Please post screenshots if anyone is seeing them now? I used to see beautiful cumulus with the sun rays causing the most realistic scenes I’ve ever witnessed in flight simming since 1983!

In MSFS (NOW), all I see in Florida is this thin, transparent ugly cloud layer with lightning. Sometimes there are these “thicker” clouds that I guess are supposed to be thunderstorms that extend to the ground with rain, but still no defined edge cumulus clouds like we used to see when the sim came out. We used to be able to see defined cloud shadows on the ground, now it is only when fully overcast does the ground get darker; now we do not seem to get defined cloud shadows on the ground! The dark to light transitions can and does sometimes mess with your head when flying in real world and can be part of the challenge. What has happened to all of these things?

Last week we had a pretty bad weather system in the area, and there were definitely many more clouds with the rain squalls in the sim, but the clouds were “puffy” not well defined and kind of melted like cotton candy. Most of the time transparent especially when you get close to them. No in/out of cloud immersion like it used to be.

Were there changes to help performance to coordinate with x-box release? Please say that the original clouds will be back soon?

Does anyone see convincing, well defined cumulus and cumulonimbus/towering cumulonimbus clouds in MSFS anymore (using real weather not a preset)?

Yes I agree with you on this. I havelong wanted to see cirrus clouds too.
The latest updates seemed to have resulted in cotton wool blurry white masses instead of defined clouds…
not a good improvement.

7 Likes

What Xbox needs, we will move to. Shame.

5 Likes

I don’t know the first thing about coding, but if that is actually the case, for goodness sake just have a setting in the control panel that shows for PC users but does not show for x-box users, something like “Ultra Clouds and shadows/lighting for PC”, bring back the original clouds, PLEASE!

3 Likes

A screenshot I snapped back in November, not seen anything similar since!

8 Likes

Evidence! I love it because the devs need this to compare. I sure wish I had screenshots of my experience last August-November because the clouds and lighting/shadows were AMAZING!

I’ll share these screenshots, but all I could find - notice the nice OPAQUE clouds close to aircraft. Thickness is nice. This is NOT an example of the cumulus clouds I mentioned in the OP, but still nice clouds from last year before updates ruined the clouds.

27 SEP 20 (LIVE weather):

Notice the nice darker bottoms, well defined and opaque clouds, I don’t see that anymore either? 11 NOV 20 (LIVE Weather):

3 Likes

I also noticed this.

So far, I thought it is just related to the live weather and the fact, there weren’t any clouds at the locations I visited.

Is this issue happening with presets too or only with live weather?

2 Likes

Fly in the UK, you’ll see loads of clouds!!

1 Like

When you use the sim every day you immediately notice any changes introduced by an update. Clouds became less defined in update 1.16.2.0, Ultra now looks the same as High before.

4 Likes

I have REX weather force, and while flying over Bahamas last week REX displayed towering cumulus, in fact the REX UI screen said “Towering Cumulus”. Those displayed beautifully. Only issue is, REX using the METAR based location busts the immersion. So went from towering cumulus, to clear… So I know those type of clouds are in the SIM, but real weather is NOT using them.

It’s almost as if the real weather is only using 2 types of clouds now? Thin, white transparent puffs scattered about, and then some thick, fluffy semi-transparent darker “squalls” that still have no real definition to them, with no feeling of flying in and out of clouds.

8 Likes

My screenshot was with live weather, I never fly with a preset. The engine is capable of producing stunning clouds - something like the 747 landing challenge into New York, but nothing close to that is ever generated in a live weather situation! Well, except in earlier builds… I am going to wildly speculate they have been reducing many areas of the visuals in the sim (like night lighting, trees LOD…) in order to be ready for console release and that the talk of adding ‘above ultra’ settings for PC will hopefully bring us back to those glorious Alpha days!!

5 Likes

I thought I’d broken my sim but if appears that live weather is putting out some really disappointing clouds and storms in thin stratus clouds, CG lightning from thin air. It’s really annoying for people who like to virtual storm chase.

I know familiarity has perhaps diminished the “wow factor” a little as the game approaches its 1st anniversary, but Live Weather is most definitely getting worse.

2 Likes

West Palm Beach, Florida

MSFS
Live Weather, Clouds Ultra

What happened?

11 Likes

“Cumulus clouds”
" Prior to reaching the cumulonimbus stage, cumulus clouds are therefore composed of droplets and contain very few if any precipitation particles. Precipitation , however, usually begins to develop in cumulus congestus clouds if they are more than about 3 km thick over land and about 2 km thick over the oceans."’

" How tall are cumulonimbus clouds?
“The cumulonimbus base may extend several kilometres across and occupy low to middle altitudes - formed at altitude from approximately 200 to 4,000 m (700 to 10,000 ft). Peaks typically reach to as much as 12,000 m (39,000 ft), with extreme instances as high as 21,000 m (69,000 ft) or more.”

Try LFRQ right now

2 Likes

Here’s a screenshot that I grabbed back in September 2020 … live weather over Kentucky. I haven’t seen clouds like this recently.

However … back then, there were complaints that we only saw clouds like this. There are far more convincing stratus and stratocumulus cloud layers now. I’m optimistically hoping this is just a step in the refinement of the weather engine towards a more complete and diverse atmospheric model. This stuff is hard to do.

Some cirrus would be nice though :laughing:

3 Likes

Cumulus/Cumulonimbus still not generating correct thickness/heights, however:

I rarely if ever get to fly during the early daytime (not before 20:00Z here in Florida, USA). Today I flew, and looking out my real world window I’m seeing the cumulus and cumulonimbus clouds as expected on a hot summer day here in Florida.

I fire up the simulator earlier today and I’m actually seeing a pretty good representation of what is outside within the sim! (but these types of clouds are still not right thickness/heights) See screenshot below. WTH? Only thing though is the lightning, it’s everywhere! Also some of these clouds are not “thick” enough IMO to be producing squalls of rain. But it’s not horrible, at least these clouds have some density!

Two things different:

1. I’m flying before 20:00Z (is there still some kind of weather bug for after 20:00z?)
  2. I haven’t tested the other multiplayer but I flew this time using “LIVE” traffic and of course weather. The LIVE traffic is where you cannot change the date or time when flying. IS THIS making a difference?

26 JUN 21 Florida appx 14:00

UPDATE 27 JUN 21 - Same “type” of weather in real world Florida today, ran the simulator and back to flay wispy UGLY clouds again. Flying around 14:00Z so I suppose its not that… UGH!

1 Like

I definitely need to look for the issue on my future flights. For now, it seems as I more often see these whispy, foggy types, that don’t look pretty and are not realistic when the sim depicts rain falling out of a thin layer of this “fog”. Here’s an observation I posted in another thread:

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your Feedback, there is an issue with the Live Weather data since June 26, the Team is aware and we are working on it.

10 Likes

Thank ypu so much for this response and information! However I would like to point out that the “issue” this thread refers to has been evident far longer than June 26th. Unfortunately it seems an update of some kind borked the cumulus, cumulonimbus and towering cumulus Clouds. I dont think any cumulus clouds in the sim ever get thicker than a few thousand feet.

Thank you.

2 Likes