What happens over the North Pole?

I just fly over the north pole, and apart from how strange the flightplan map looks, the frames drop to 3 fps, from the previous 60 fps some minutes before.

2 Likes

I really don’t advise doing that, Santa’s security system is pretty robust… :wink:

33 Likes

It all goes south from there ! Boom boom… :slight_smile:

40 Likes

Stays over the North Pole?

11 Likes

Hurricanes and extreme weather happen around this area of the ocean, so a drop in fps isn’t uncommon. You can run into mutiple weather patterns when coming in contact with the north poll. You will have bad weather coming from both the north and the north east.

Weather does not all of a sudden turn bad upon approaching the geographical north pole, also weather does not converge towards the north pole, rather the opposite. Not saying that the weather can’t be bad at the north pole, but not because of converging weather patterns or whatever, not anymore so than other places on Earth so its not something specific for the north pole.

1 Like

Well, I know that no pack ice, icebergs, or general North pole-ness happens

The slow down is related to scenery loading/caching issues. Hopefully sometime in the future Asobo will fix it

Another possibility : How long was your flight till you reached the North Pole? There is a performance drop/off on flights longer than 4hrs. Supposed to be fixed in SU6

Which north pole did you fly over? :slight_smile: With all those lines of longitude converging, navigating via magnetic heading is useless. This starts to happen above about 84 degrees latitude. Commercial airplanes switch to true north and have special requirements and procedures for operating in this “polar region”. Here’s an interesting reference:

https://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_16/polar_nav_by_model.html

3 Likes

Heres a helpful graphic for those like me that don’t like to read.

Fun fact: The premise of the movie 2012 is rooted in the theory that every few thousand year the magnetic poles switch 180 or 90 degrees

4 Likes

The graphic is a handy way of showing the two poles. But the article will actually help the OP understand what happens over the NP as asked. Of course simply searching the topic would tell you the same, and maybe even a shorter format…for those that don’t like to read. :slight_smile: :upside_down_face:

It’s just the cover up about the round world conspiracy. The world is flat but they don’t want you to know about this so Bill Gates’ Microsoft denies you going to the edges and keeps you a sheep.

6 Likes

Its more like every 56k years (along the lines of the mayan calendar), and there is plenty of evidence that this indeed does happen. I have heard tales that we’re in the process of one of those periods currently.

I bet it will screxx up the autopilot!

i mean…yknow…“few”…

Some say we screwed up and the end of the world was supposed to be 2021.

At this point a giant asteroid can be headed and we’ll all just be like "pfft, whatever. Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck will take care of it, they did it once they can do it again…

1 Like

Now that you posted the truth, we should see it on the news by tomorrow.

Actually theres the biggest comet ever seen heading into the solar system as we speak LOL…Oh yeah and the new evidence that there is a planet 9 as well…doomed…doomed I tells ya! :rofl:

1 Like

Now I want an Elon Musk mod so I can go see the the comet up close.

I see what you did there. You deserve more upvotes.

1 Like