What is a recommended VPN to use for MSFS?

Can somebody please recommend a good VPN that works for MSFS thanks

Nord VPN.

Although I am puzzled why you’d need one for MSFS.

4 Likes

Thank you will give it a go. I am having constant stutters & pausing & I have just upgraded my net to 500mbps up & download so I hope by using a good VPN this will solve the issue

But a VPN is mainly security and privacy, if anything it will have a negative effect on performance…

9 Likes

I don’t know why people spread this VPN thing working wonders with MSFS… surely they don’t know how VPN works.

11 Likes

You’re wrong mate - smth is wrong with hardware, software, router settings or ISP.
Connect PC to the router via network cable not wifi.

If you have issues with your ISP (internet), you should contact their customer suport.

Edit
Please note that Microsoft, Azure, Playfab, Asobo currently investigating reported issues surroundig stuttering and CTD if smth is wrong between you and game services (game servers), problems with live weather etc.

Also (probably) there is smth wrong with routing.

2 Likes

Unless you are coming from a country where the internet is being blocked etc for MSFS, theres no need for a VPN. VPN’s have a negative impact on network performance.

3 Likes

I don’t use a VPN, but it could be an advantage if your internet provider is throttling in your area.

I completely agree with everything said here so far. VPNs are for security and privacy and can at worst impact performance by 15-20%.

However, I would like to offer 2 things to consider.

1. If you do have an ISP issue, good luck getting it fixed. If it’s something that doesn’t impact everyone else, it’ll take a miracle to get them to troubleshoot.

2. In some cases with larger ISPs, they have their own routing through data centers and hubs that might be different than the backbones that a VPN uses. I’ve seen a few cases where routing is shorter with a VPN.

So, if you’re having trouble it’s worth a try. Everyone has a unique situation.

But again I do agree having network issues is rarely solved by a VPN.

2 Likes

I am using a network cable, my router is a 1gig router

A VPN will only add an extra server. If you are not in North Korea it will not speed up things, just make it slower.

Look Microsoft has, after Google, the best connections to the interwebs. The issue is in your first connection. The issue is with your provider.

1 Like

I have 500mbps up/down and I have used Nord VPN for a number of years now. I never use Nord while I use the sim as I’ll possibly get 100-200mbps up/down at best and the latency is not as good either as you are adding more servers into the mix. My connections with the MSFS servers have for the most part been very good and stable.

I also believe that many connectivity issues are within your own home network - especially if you use wifi (which I would never recommend for the sim). Been there, done it, and have a stack of T-shirts with regards to my home network. :wave: :tshirt:

2 Likes

I don’t use wifi only cable

My computer is in Ireland, connected to the Internet via a gigabit fibre-to-the-home connection that is usually very fast, but it was downloading very slowly from the content manager, and frequently reported disconnection events while the simulation was running, having trouble keeping up with scenery as I flew over new areas.

After installing the NordVPN client and connecting via a Seattle server. Download speeds on the content manager improved about two orders of magnitude, from two megabits per second to two hundred megabits per second. No disconnection events have occurred since.

Data that is being downloaded by my computer from the content manager file server is being heavily throttled, while using the more direct network route via my internet service provider.

Connections originating from Seattle’s NordVPN server, which use an indirect route to my computer, and possibly select a different file server to download from, do not appear to be throttled.

1 Like

No VPN, which as others have said, can be detrimental to performance. I have a WiFi-6 card in my sim computer, connecting to a fast beam-forming router I bought. Frontier allows user-installed routers, which is nice.

I have almost no issues with CTD’s that can’t be easily explained (nVidia driver, Reshade preset.)
I’ve seen the random ‘Lost connection’ error pop up after SU12, but honestly, I don’t think it’s due to my WiFi connection.

MSFS Speedtest