What is Extremity Deadzones?

I’ve just seen this video from IslandSimPilot:

…about how useful can be the option “Extremity DeadZone”. But I’m not quite sure I understand what this parameter does.

It looks really useful indeed, but I can’t help feeling that it’s still a sort of cheat to turn a twitchy aircraft like the Tomahawk into something more stable like any cessna.

So, are we talking about a setting that improves the realism of our inputs or it’s an option that modifies the natural behavior of an aircraft to make it more manageable?

Regards.

In sensitivity options, you can adjust the sensitivity which creates a curve. Small movements don’t have much effect but as you move further the curve gets steeper so bigger movements have sudden and extreme effects. This isn’t realistic as real aircraft will have a linear response

Extremity deadzone allows you to flatten the curve by changing where the end point is. As an example, when flying airliners I know that I would never pull all the way back on the stick for full elevator deflection. I therefore set a 50% extremity deadzone which means that when I pull fully back, I only deflect the elevator by half of what it can do. But what this means is that I can set a near linear response by having say a -10% sensitivity. This makes flaring much easier when landing

I think I have a 20% extremity deadzone on my rudder pedals with a -30% senstivity to give it a bit of cushion in the initial movement

1 Like

So, if I understand correctly, you are limiting 100% of the joystick travel to 50% of the aircraft yoke, right? But then, with that configuration, you won’t have full deflection.

Yeah that’s right. But like I say, I’ve never used full deflection in anything except from stunt planes and tail draggers so that I can keep the tail on the ground while braking

Thank you for your help. It has become clearer to me

As I have already mentioned, I can’t help but have the feeling that it is still an option that “tames” the behavior of the aircraft.

I can understand using it in jetliners with FBW systems, but in GA… it makes me feel like I’m faking its behavior, as in the case of the Tomahawk.

Anyhow, I think I’m going to use this option for the rudder of some planes.
But only a little :wink:

So to answer the question, it makes the response of the aircraft more realistic as it should be linear i.e. 0% sensitivity for everything. But in the sim this is far too twitchy as a desktop flight stick is much too easy to move and springs back far too quickly. Real flight controls are much stiffer and almost need physically moved back into a central position - the wind pushes them back to neutral rather than a spring. You’re not really taming the aircraft - more taming your desktop flight stick to behave more like the real thing

Also consider using reactivity which helps soften movements in a way that replicates inertia in the real aircraft. I have mine set around 20% for ailerons and elevators and 10% for rudder

2 Likes