What is he proper way to engage the Autothrottle when in TOGA?

Flying the Cessna Longitude with Dakfly’s and WT 7.3 mods installed and its working GREAT!! and I have a button mapped to AT.
I set the SPD (MAN @ 215
AFTER receiving takeoff clearance, I activate TOGA( Magenta FD goes to around 8-9 degrees). Release brakes , APPLY full throttle smoothly, after passing 200- 300 ft and retracting landing gear, I throttle back slightly and engage the AT. BY now I am climbing at around 260- 275 knots and ATC gently warns me to reduce speed to 250 below 10,0000

Is there a better way to enage AT so that I don’t exceed 250 on the initial climb ? What is the proper way?
best regards

There are a few ways to manage speed during your climb… does this help (pulled from another thread):

For the Longitude == After engaging selected air speed mode on the MCP, turn the dial to your selected speed and finally press the engage autothrottle button located on the stem of the throttle

Unfortunately, I don’t believe we can add speed restrictions via Longitude’s flightplan, yet.

when TOGA is activated, How quickly on a climb does one retard throttles and click AT?
best

Good question - not sure what the “exact” answer is. I typically take off, immediately reduce my throttle, then around 2,000+ feet, I will engage AP and climb via V/S. Others use FLC and set their speed that way.

1 Like

I fly the Longitude often and you just have to keep ahead of the aircraft a lot more than in slower craft. During climb out keep your speed below 250 by adjusting your climb angle. I usually turn on AT between 1000 and 4000 feet, depending. And yes, use the selected air speed to manage this.

1 Like

Agree with @mdapol 's answer. You’ve got to be way ahead of the aircraft. It may require a large reduction of thrust from TOGA. I’m not familiar with the longitude specifically but with flight director/AP systems, if you set the speed target, your flight director bars should guide you to the pitch angle required to maintain that speed.

I’d also recommend trying FLC instead of V/S for a few reasons. Speed protection being one of them, the ability to set climb thrust and just have the aircraft pitch as necessary to maintain your profile speed being the other. With V/S you’ve got two parameters to manage on your own - V/S and the thrust. With FLC, you can set your climb power and let the aircraft manage the V/S for you.

2 Likes

Generally, Longitude or other aircraft, you pitch for a speed, your thrust remains at its climb setting. I haven’t flown the Longitude so I can’t talk specifically about this airplane but you (normally) never manage your speed with your thrust levers / throttles during climb.