What is really going on with LOD?

So I normally fly in the USA and a bit here and there Europe. I’ve had a significant LOD reduction on XSX since WU Oceania.

Today I just happened to hop over to Brisbane Australia to fly around a bit. As soon as I loaded onto the runway I could tell LOD was better. I then took off and saw the buildings and was amazed. It looks great, like it used to.

I was thinking maybe they’ve fixed whatever it is causing LOD issues for me, so I went back to KMDW and took off 04R to fly over Chicago. Well, it’s back to melted nuclear wasteland.

See my pictures attached, they probably don’t do it justice. This makes me think this is not a hardware “Xbox can’t handle” situation. Or even a network/server situation. So what is happening here??

Hello @EchoEightSix

Thank you for your post! Your topic has been moved to the #gd-commsupport:tech-talk subcategory of General Discussion & Community Support. The General Discussion category is meant for discussions that fall outside our other sub-categories.

Please check out these other categories for your future posts:

• Aircraft
    is where you discuss current or future planes coming to MSFS as well as assistance with liveries.
  • World
    is where you discuss scenery, airports, and weather.
  • Aviate, Navigate, Communicate
    is where you ask for help with flying.
  • Tech Talk
    is where you discuss installation, graphics, drivers, performance, CTDs, peripherals, and hardware.
  • Menus & Activities
    is where you discuss activities (landing challenges, bush trips, etc), plus anything accessed by the menus including the Marketplace, settings, logbook, cameras, etc.
1 Like

What are the images supposed to show? Weird, pointy-looking buildings? I think that’s just how PG looks at a distance if the LOD is not set all that high, at least on PC.

The first one looks like non-photogrammetry buildings (unrealistic look and color, but they’re sharply drawn) while the second one looks like photogrammetry buildings at a distance with a moderate/low LOD setting.

The two aren’t really comparable to each other, because they degrade at distance very differently – the autogen buildings stay sharp rectangular prisms with clean vertical and horizontal edges, while the photogrammetry buildings are decimated by some sort of polygon/vertex decimation algorithm that everybody seems to not like the results of but that they used anyway.

Sorry I don’t know if they’ve changed the Xbox Series X settings for LOD recently or not, I fly on my PC, but I haven’t seen any changes up or down lately on the PC side.

I don’t believe so. Is there a reason Brisbane would have non-photogrammetry buidlings? Just did it again and it’s the same, looks good to me. If I turn off photogrammetry it adds a ton of auto-gen buildings and doesn’t look the same. It’s also the terrain around it is more detailed and I don’t think that is non-photogrammetry. I’ll try to add some more pics or maybe even a video.

Yes weird pointy buildings in Chicago. Smooth good looking buildings is Brisbane. Terrain and objects around city center is also different.

It’s not a network issue. Australia has some of the best LOD performance in Photogrammetry so far. Even from a distance, the Melbourne and Sydney skylines are clearly discernible unlike other regions where it’s a poly melted mess, or the infamous case of Manhattan, only a lone poly where the Empire State POI will emerge at closer range.

LOD performance is partly dependent upon PG availability and quality, which varies by region.

4 Likes

I find that the LOD is at its most dodgy when night flying even in non PG areas tbh. Frequently occuring times I’ll see autogen buildings, alongside their lighting, despawn or fade out and back in again, in the immediate surrounds. Pop in, pop out and pop in again. Maybe this ties together with the consoles stability issues thus why Asobo are looking to address this some more?

Like it doesn’t quite know what it’s doing sometimes and its loading behaviour throws brief tantrums along the way. LOD has been why more rock solid in the past so the tired old reasoning that the console is somehow the root of all evil for the sim doesn’t really fly here.

It has kinda made any custom night lighting enhancements irrelevant as they often don’t hold stable enough to appreciate. Moving the camera a bit and for the lights to take a few seconds to fade in is still pretty bad.

1 Like

There was a big bug report thread about LOD that was marked fixed on live yesterday.

See this post from Jayne:

So worth continuing to report instances of bad LOD. As Jayne’ s post suggests these issues are likely to be complex and not single-cause.

I’ll be interested to see if the problem of ground textures rendering only very close to the player in certain regions of the world (ie France and Switzerland) still persist.

2 Likes

Very interesting, thanks for confirming/seconding what I’m experiencing

Thanks for connecting the thread, unfortunately his/her response is of little value. Basically just saying it’s a complex problem. Kind of figured that. It has not been fixed on Xbox (except for Australia I guess for whatever reason)

1 Like

Ground Textures are at lower resolution. Sim looks way worse than prior to SU10/11.

1 Like

Agreed. For me it was WU Oceania and I assume the mandatory WASM update that came along with it. Went dramatically down hill on Xbox for me at that point. I was simming before the update and after the update and knew right away something had changed.