What is the best VR Headset for MSFS 2020 using WMR?

I have an HP Reverb G2 and I really enjoyed the experience when it worked. Last week, my latest “free” replacement cable became defective and I discovered that my Headset warranty expired two weeks ago, LOL.

I’m soliciting ideas on where to go from here.

The most affordable option is HP’s recommendation which is to purchase a replacement cable (M52188-001) which HP does not sell nor can I find for sale on the internet. Any leads on how to purchase the Cable would be awesome - Part Number M52188-001.

The next option is to purchase a new VR Headset - hence my Topic today. Occasionally, I play games on Steam however, 95% of my VR time is spent in MSFS via Windows Mixed Reality. I’m open in regard to a price point which will depend largely on the experience that a VR Headset can deliver.

My PC Specs:

• Intel Core i7-9700K
  • DDR4 16G
  • HDD 2TB
  • SSD 512GB (M 2 PCIE)

Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Only the G2 is available as current WMR device. All other manufacturers gave up wmr years ago.

Wow, that’s interesting to hear that manufactures have given up on WMR. Yesterday, I chatted online with an HTC Vibe representative and it took them some time to reply that their Headset “should” work with WMR. Thanks for that information Gentle. This makes me wonder whether I should look into switching to the Steam Platform for MSFS 2020 in addition to purchasing a new VR Headset.

Steam, Oculus, it doesn’t matter. Everyone can use OpenXR. And this is the interface for FS.
But at the moment FS is still best optimized for the G2. Only the Aero is sharper.

For other games. Steam is expensive because of Lighthouse tracking. But it’s just unbeaten in other games (room scale) in the consumer sector. Almost as good as ART, which is the top in the pro area.

Thanks again, Gentle. The best option for me might end up being the G2 Kool-Aid.

not sure where you are based but the G2 (v2) cable is freely available in the UK… best deal (in stock) I found in under 10seconds searching: HP Reverb G2 6 Meter Cable USB cable 6 m USB B USB A/Micro-USB B Black | Dodax.co.uk

I got my free cable.
You have to PHONE your national HP service number and they mail one to you.

Thanks for the link, MrPix. Much appreciated. I discovered that link yesterday when I started my quest for a new cable. I live in the United States. I didn’t purchase the cable advertised on the link because it is hard enough trying to determine who - on this side of the pond - is really legit, these days.

mtjoeng, if you were to follow this Thread from the beginning, you could rightfully assume that I do in fact have a phone and that I used it to contact HP.

Just wanted to drop a line to say thanks for your reply and have a great day!

By the way… I’m on the second “Free” Cable within 12 months.

For MSFS 2020 Reverb G2 with Open XR is hard to beat. Yes the Aero does, but it is in a whole other league price wise.

Just bought a second hand G2, got a error code so I rang HP for some support, turns out the cable(old style) was faulty, I explained the G2 was a gift and didn’t have receipt, they are sending me a replacement cable FOC. Based in UK. I always say there’s no harm in asking, and I you have a history of replacement cables already, remind them of that fact…… been a loyal customer and all. Good look

1 Like

Thanks Tony. I’m at a stand still with HP as they state my warranty period expired a couple weeks ago. That is quite interesting that you received a free cable for a second hand G2… yours must have still been under warranty based on the serial number. From my history of reported cable issues, I would have expected a seemingly reputable company like HP to stand by their product and provide me with one last “free” cable. This resolution would not have broke the bank for HP and it certainly would have resulted in me remaining a loyal and satisfied customer. Personally, I would be happy if HP offered a replacement cable at a reduced price for those G2 Headsets that are out of warranty and there was a report previously filed for a cable issue with the G2 Headset.

dburne, the Aero looks awesome, are you using that Headset? If so, I would love to hear more about your experience, particularly using it with MSFS. I would need to purchase a beefier computer in order to fully enjoy the performance of that Headset. Purchasing the Aero and a new computer is hard to justify primarily for MSFS at this stage of its development.

Hi, not sure on the warranty status. You could try complaining on social media, go to Twitter and tweet a complaint (keep it civil but focus on the cable quality and what you expect from a reputable company), it might open a door for another discussion.

Yes been using it just over 2 weeks now. Pretty heavy use every day and I am very pleased with it especially for my flight sims. You can set the Aero to use Open XR runtime so in MSFS 2020 it performs decently much like the Reverb G2 does. It’s big plus is clarity and large sweet spot, it’s big minus is limited FOV especially in the vertical. I use it with DCS, IL-2, and MSFS 2020. I am mainly a DCS flyer but also run those other two occasionally. I have been very pleased with my Aero for these three sims.

I will tell ya though, it is a lot of money especially if one has to also get the Lighthouse tracking system. I already had the Lighthouse system that came with my Index so that helped some. Whether that is worth it is really going to be subject to the individual and how much they use it. I am retired and use mine daily so ya I feel I will likely get my money’s worth. For the occasional flyer or just one sim, Reverb G2 is pretty sweet at a much lower cost.

Thanks for the insight, that was very helpful information. I purchased a new PC and G2 last year so I’m going to wait and see what develops in the VR space for MSFS. Congratulations on being retired, I submitted my retirement papers today for July. I’m excited. Do you fly with a group in MSFS?

1 Like

Tony, speaking of outing HP on social media… I recorded my conversation with HP last night. If I knew how to get that recording on the internet that would be hilarious. I actually had HP customer service search the internet along with me so they can read what people are posting on the internet about the issues they are having with the G2 Cord. Some of the posts even made the customer service rep laugh out loud, by mistake! The reason why I asked the customer service rep to search the internet is because she implied that it was ‘perhaps’ my fault that the cord failed. The icing on the cake was when HP customer service gave me her only recommendation and that was for me to purchase a new cord. I said, that would be terrific if I could only find one for sale on the internet - in the United States. Customer service directed me to the HP website and attempted to end the call. Well, I had previously searched that same website earlier and didn’t find the cord so I challenged HP to find one for me. <<>> 33 minutes later… HP put a cord on their website for me to purchase. In all, the call lasted over 2 hours. Though, time was not waisted as I gave the customer service representative a few ideas of how to address this product deficiency with management. The recording of my conversation is priceless! It is ROTFLOL funny.

@UDubFalcon, I had a very similar experience. Copying the review I posted on HP (which was rejected) and the reason for the rejection from HP below:

Here’ s my review and HP’s response.

My Review:

Great Product, Lacking Customer SupportI got the HP Reverb G2 on 11/3/2021, and got my hands on it 11/7. Amazing product and I love the G2. However, from 11/8 through 11/11, HP had a sale on this product which was $100 lower than what I paid for and then another sale which was $50 lower. I contacted HP over their chat and asked them to match the price. HP refused and when I wanted to return the product, they said I’ll have to pay $54.90 for restocking. I knew that they could potentially charge me the restocking fee. The most HP could do was provide me with a $10 refund. I have had many experiences with other retailers where they matched their own prices (not a competitor’s) when the purchase was recent and the price dropped. HP’s refusal to match their price left a bad taste in my mouth. They are within their rights to NOT match the price but this experience makes it hard for me personally to do any more business with HP or recommend them to others. Like I said, great product, but as company, HP would rather have the $$$ than loyal customers.

And this was HP’s response:

SashaSolitaire,

Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!

Submit something new

Thanks again,
HP

My queries about their website guidelines and how I did NOT meet them were met with absolute silence. As I said, the G2 is a great HMD, and I have been loving it with MSFS and some Steam games.

Sasha, sorry to hear about your experience with HP. HP management should be embarrassed and furious about that reply to your concern. Though, it very accurately portrays HP’s lack of concern toward creating and maintaining a loyal customer base as a profit strategy. Unfortunately, “Sell, then Disassociate” is the business model of the era we live in. It’s not just HP. Large companies, especially, are quite comfortable with a little bad press. It’s like dust on their shoe. I find it interesting that HP has been almost unchallenged in some sectors of the VR market, in the first place. Don’t even get me started on their Copiers, LOL. It is cheaper to buy a new HP Copier than replace its ink cartridges. Now that’s a business model. ROTFLOL. If I owned a major tech company, located in the Seattle area, I would be all over the VR space - hint, hint B.G. Because of the lack of competition, I agree with you, the Reverb G2 is awesome when it works.

@UDubFalcon, completely agree with you. I had the last laugh on this issue. Since I got the Reverb G2 in early November, I returned it, ate the $45 restocking fee ($54.90 restocking fee net the $10 credit they gave me) and got a new Reverb G2 during the Thanksgiving sale. So all in all, I had to pay HP $45 for “renting” a Reverb G2 for a month and get a new one. They could have easily given me $75 off since they knew they were taking off $150 of the list price for Thanksgiving. Even if their motive was purely profit, they would still have come out on the winning side had they agreed to meet me halfway. Now for $45 (minus the shipping costs three times), they now have to sell my original fully functional G2 as a refurbished one and still eat the losses on that. Wonder how these corporations “compute” profit.