What is the interaction between MSFS and Vatsim?

It is a bit unclear for me exactly how Vatsim and MSFS are working together. Is Vatsim supposed to be a fully integrated part of MSFS? Right now we have to download and install software, just like we are used to. (The stuttering is another story which hopefully is history soon).

2 Likes

No real integration beside simconnect afaik.

So all the marketing videos etc. was really just a way of stating the obvious, that MSFS supports Simconnect?

And not that well, apparently.

Itā€™s addon software that is fully supported by Flight Sim. They know your position, altitude, and it connects to your radios. Itā€™s free. Give it a shot.

Maybe better integration is coming itā€™s just not out yet? Just guessing but it sounded like direct integration was happening. Maybe I misunderstood the marketing tho.

ā€œAs from day oneā€ā€¦ So far none existent

I think there had been an unforeseen issue within the Simconnect API which is the big halt at the moment, from what Iā€™m told.

It is add-on software as mentioned above, but they failed to mention what software. What you are looking for is the add-on called vPilot. X-plane users use xPilot. So do your search for vPilot, install it and before running MSFS run vPilot first. On your first time you will need to configure it but that is a one time thing. You need an internet connection and vPilot will then wait for MSFS to connect to. Run MSFS next and manually tune into your first frequency (usually ATIS or GND ground control).

This involves a little more flight planning ahead of time but if all the positions are staffed (they are not always unfortunately) it really is the most realistic experience you can get. If GND is not available then the expected method is to move up to the next level, which is TWR. If both GND and TWR are not available then tune into CTR center. At whatever level, they will help you. note: Iā€™m currently ā€˜workingā€™ the scopes for VATSIM as a GND controller so I know for sure that they donā€™t bite and are more than accommodating in dealing with new simmers. The goal is to have a good time :smiley:

So whats different then using IVAO.aero software to connect with the sim? The trailers made it look-like itā€™s built-in

What is the latest on this topic?

Iā€™m still using vPilot to connect to Vatsim. Would be nice if there were an integrated solution, especially since I use VR exclusivelyā€¦

1 Like

I would like a full-blown integration of VATSIM into MSFS. I donā€™t think that would happen with the E-rating that the game has, though; any online communication between people muddies the content rating of the game.

Bit of an old post but you can now get a msfs in sim app.
GitHub - daveblackuk/VSR: Vatsim Radio (VSR) - MSFS 2020 toolbar app for VATSIM I think it would be good for people in vr as you can change frequency, see who is online and much more with it.

1 Like

All, bit late here

I have created VSR for this reason - it brings Vatsim data into the cockpit

The latest version is at http://vsr.software
And latest promo vid VSR - An essential freeware MSFS toolbar app for VATSIM - YouTube

Interaction between MSFS and VATSIM ? The only thing is when you are connected, the software, vPilot will inject and force the trafic (Other players) in your Simulator, automatically, (Which is why its recommended to turn off other trafic source(AI, Multiplayer), according to their aircraft they chose in their vPilot. Advanced model matching is available from various source to increase the visual of these aircraft.

The rest, is essentially like a team speak, or a discord, where a frequency is a channel, and there is a controler who sees your aircraft (Because of vPilot) and will provide you with ATC Service.

Thatā€™s it

Moved to #gd-interests:tools-utilities - it was originally in Clubs and Groups which is only for posts seeking to join a Club or Group or offer same.

But inevitably we often hear;

ā€œToronto Ground, ACA1234ā€

ā€œACA1234, Toronto Ground, go aheadā€

ā€œToronto Ground, Um yea, thereā€™s a 747 stopped on the taxiway in front of us, what would you like us to do? ACA1234ā€

ā€œACA1234, weā€™d like you to turn off your AI Traffic, there is no one in front of youā€

Myeah I mean it can happen and I personnaly donā€™t think thatā€™s any issue in anyways. It creates interaction between VATSIM Pilot and ATC which isā€¦ nice and fun. Pilot sees something heā€™s unsure - unsafe with, made a cold call to ATC, and controller cleared it. Which, is perfect, unless it was a very busy time, but still made a cold call thereā€¦ so I dont know

Personnaly, over 500Hours of VATSIM, I have never heard of anything like this.

I am aware that some are flying VATSIM along with other Trafic settings, such as multiplayer and/or trafic injection such as FSLTL, or other. These guys are usually able to tell which is a VATSIM trafic or not, if not theyā€™ll go through.

At some time of the day, or at some location, it can be pretty dead and it can be nice to add some life with trafic injection even though you are flying VATSIM. I did on a flight from Copenhagen to somewhere in greece, for a APL2 flight I had to do. Frequency were very quiet, so I added some life with trafic injection. Though I could always tell which is real trafic or not. Vatsim live map on their website helps a lot for that.

Donā€™t get me wrong, doesnā€™t bother me in the least, just funny to hear.

I fly North America and mainly the East Coast. Itā€™s heavily staffed and populated on most days / nights which is nice.