What is wrong with DC3 takeoff ? How to fix and tailwheel lock unlock

Correct! (From someone who has 1,600 hours on DC3’s.
On Takeoff your looking for 82 kts (95 mph) V2 (1.3 Vs - that’s stall speed plus 30%)

1 Like

Hi Chief ,if you have that many hours i would sure like to see you post about the 20-20 rule where the bearings bang and can screw things up if you go below , and also where the carb heat needles are in the yellow

I presume the mention about bearings is for the R1830 Pratt.
My 1,600 hours was on DC3’s with Wright Cyclone R1820’s & 24 hours on C47 over 5 days Moon lighting on a flight from Sydney Australia up to the top of Australia & back.

It is 50 years since I flew them but I still have all my manuals.

With the R 1830 Pratts in our manual it says “Cruising between 1900 & 2050 rpm & below 1700 rpm is prohibited”.
(Ps Did I pass the test?)

As for Carb heat I don’t remember much except Carb Ice was a problem from time to time.

MSFS DC3’s Rudder has a sort of stearing built in as you sure needed Tail Wheel Lock, Independent engines & brakes in the real thing to taxi & take-offs.

All this should bore a few people, so back to flying a fun Aircraft, docile & easy to fly once airborne (Except in a Thunderstorm when your going down with METO Power!)

2 Likes

I agree. No matter what I do, it banks hard left and nosedives into the ground. It does it at 8000’, it does it right after takeoff. No matter the airspeed. And what aircraft takes off in 200’? Another Asobo fail.

2 Likes

I have the same problem - except for me the extreme left bank and nose dive begins at 1,000 ft AGL.

I’ve had good luck taking off in the DC-3 since I started adjusting the trim before takeoff. It does not default to where you need it at takeoff.

You absolutely need to dial in some nose-down trim and some right-rudder trim or it will roll to the left and jump nose-up shortly after takeoff, leading to a stall or crash if you don’t immediately regain control.

The various DC-3 threads should include some recommended values (you can read off the indicator the numbers it’s near) but I just kinda “wing it” myself. :slight_smile:

Watch carefully how it’s responding, and keep very careful eye on your airspeed to make sure you’re not pitched up so much you’re heading for a stall.

3 Likes

Interesting - in FSX I had a DC-3 that flew like a dream.

Yes, it ground-loops. In FSX it did not. MSFS still seems in the development stage even if MS wants us to buy their 2024 FS soon.

Hi,

Try these mods for the DC-3:

Thanks for answering that Chief , its right on.

I am convinced that you have to go to developers mode and edit some flightmodel.cfg to change the effect of crosswind on the ground. There are separate threads here dealing with this. The effect of rubber tires on the ground is poorly modeled just like it was in FSX. Microsoft seems to be immune to customer complaints.

Hi,

I agree with you concerning the flight model. This is why some good folks came up with the mods mentioned above. These mods do help somewhat given the poor flight model of MS/Asobo.

The only decent flight and ground handling I found is the one by the recent A2A Piper Pa-24 Comanche. They seem to have nailed it. That’s why I wrote in another thread that MS/Asobo should take a real good look at the Comanche.

1 Like

thks, but if I want to change parameters, I understand you have to do it in the SDK, not like in FSX where you had all of them inside FSX. Am I correct? Now that I have found this thread I know why my planes act up whenever I am rolling on the ground but are ok once they are airborne.The DC-3 is awful on the runway, for instance.
Peter