What is wrong with DC3 takeoff ? How to fix and tailwheel lock unlock

First - nothing is wrong with flight model.
Main issue is the default cockpit land view. This setup looks like an ordinary nosegear attitude . Takeoff feels like you are diving. Pull up into a stall. Ref several youtube videos. After many attempts, you learn a kind of fix. Aircraft is ballooning up in helicopter style TO.
Correct fix.
Pull down cockpit view and select Close view.
Now you are in a taildragger attitude. Looking up in the sky, and horizon barely visible.
Takeoff run. Lock tailwheel. Green handle under pedestal. Bind it to keyboard. Check trim.
Slowly add TO power.
Airspeed alive - 40 - push stick forward to raise tail.
Continue takeoff run on mainwheels. Stick to neutral. Forward view should be a normal takeoff attitude.
As speed builds up - DC3 will be airborne with no rotation.

Tailwheel lock.
Unlock for taxi only.
At low speed tail will be on ground. Little airflow gives no rudder authority. You need tailwheel locked for a stable run. It is very important to line up perfectly both in takeoff and land.
C/G behind mainwheel and aircraft will turn. Nothing can stop it - except clever use of differential brakes - and of course a locked tailwheel .
With higher speed, the tail wheel will lift, but now you have rudder authority and be able to control. But again - during landing as the tail drops, rudder authority is lost.
Differential braking do help control.
Me - and many other do not have pedals. Bind a toggle switch, or a couple of keys for l/h r/h braking.
Practice and practice more for using differential braking for control.

11 Likes

For FB users - my video:

Possibly what is happening is that those of us who are not expert DC 3 pilots, as you cleary are, are using the default runway loading settings.
For the majority of aircraft, whether rightly or wrongly, the default configuration requires little more than opening the throttle to take off.
In the case of the DC3, doing this results in an ever increasing steep climb, inevitably ending in a stall and roll into the terrain.
This “complaint” might be resolved by a different default runway configuration that instead resulted in the smooth take off that you can achieve with your expertise.

1 Like

I have spent several hours trying to fly the DC3 and I have give up. If a real DC3 was this hard to take off and land then there would be none left as they would all have crashed and burned long ago.
I am no beginner at flight sims and used to fly a real light aircraft.

3 Likes

I’m quite interested in this conversation as I found that the takeoff run seems very short.
Indeed as a tail dragger you need to get the aircraft onto the main gear and then rotate.
I applied one stage of flap and even so the DC3 balloons up into the air so you have to, indeed, keep the climb under control otherwise it stalls in the same way as the DC6; left wing down and no recovery.
I read that the real plane has a takeoff run of around 870 feet. I think I was off before that.
Still I found that I could fly it and did a few circuits without issue other than writing myself off the first time :frowning:

2 Likes

There’s a mod at flightsim.to that fixes the problem. I downloaded it, unzipped it into my community folder and it works like a charme. With that fix you only need to make sure to set elevator trim to neutral before take off. Just accelerate and tailwheel smoothly comes off the tarmac. Add a little backpressure on the yoke and it takes off beautifully.

3 Likes

Good information here. I have been fighting this bird since Friday and, thanks to the poster’s information, I was able to make a successful flight this morning. Limiting the power is the key as well as locking the tail wheel. I love these aircraft as I had experience riding in one while in the Navy in Iceland back in the 60s. Thanks all for your input.

3 Likes

Hello,
We ask that people use Community Support rather than General Discussion for help. Your thread was moved.

For anybody who is interested in this topic, please watch MSFS - DC-3 Flight Model - YouTube. This is a video from the guy who made the flight model for this DC-3. He discusses this very topic of takeoff characteristics between 16 to 20 minutes into the video.

1 Like

Go read up on the DC-3. If you treat it like a modern plane you will crash and burn.

I’ve been flying this baby all over and it’s great imo.

Those large wings and ground effect will make her want to lift off way too early. Push forward on the yoke (quite a bit) and keep her on the ground until 97mph, then rotate. Below that speed she’ll be unstable as anything.

3 Likes

Sorry to disagree but no aircraft is this dangerous to fly.
Yes, I can ‘get it off the ground’ and I can get it down again although its wanting to ground loop is almost a certainty. [yes, I have tried tail wheel lock on and off several times]
Just trying to keep it in line during take off is part luck part prayer and part fighting with the rudder and independent wheel brakes.

1 Like

What do you set your trim at for takeoff? where do you find the manual? I’ve been flying the 3’s since Mamm with FSX , and free one highly acclaimed in P3d and now this one, there all so different. but Manfred J. is involved in this one and he knows what he’s doing, so I’ll keep plucking around with it till i master it, but it’s true that the default cockpit view is a little hard to settle into and i find myself adjusting it a lot till it feels right. Louis cyyc

1 Like

This is great, thank you! Is differential braking used on take off until the tail comes up?

No worse than the Spitfire and Warhawk IMHO. :slight_smile: Strong piston engines, props rotating in the same direction, taildragger so lots of P-factor on takeoff. The same advice for those planes is to be given here: trim nose down and right rudder a couple notches, be gentle with the throttle and don’t accelerate too fast, and let it accelerate before you rotate.

There’s also a lot of ground effect from the large wing, which is why it tends to jump up and then dips back down, losing lift again, if you rotate too aggressively.

2 Likes

One thing I learned from AVANGEL’s Review on Youtube ( Handling The Mighty Dakota - Aeroplane Heaven DC3 - MSFS - YouTube) was that one has to change the take off trim setting. It is set too high.

1 Like

In fairness there does seem to be some inconsistency in the flight dynamics. I was taking off and flying no issues for a few days. Then one evening (after I initially responded to you) I couldn’t get the thing to take off without ground looping. The Duckworth mod on fs.to fixed it up for me.

1 Like

I flew the DC-3 or in my case the C-47 for a year in Vietnam which was designated the EC-47 for our electronic recon mission. After nearly 900 hours in the ‘Goon’ I have nothing but fond feelings toward the ‘Grand Ol’ Lady’ even after nearly ground looping it on my final mission. She is a sweet handling aircraft but highly demanding especially during landing in a crosswind. If you’re not paying attention she’ll get away from you in a heart beat. The tail wheel lock is the key to an uneventful takeoff and landing, also after touchdown try keep the tail flying as long as possible it just makes directional control during rollout so much easier. With it’s long swept wing she is eager to fly on takeoff just allow the tail to start flying on it’s own without any large control inputs
Tom Helwick’s
Livingston, Montana

11 Likes

With your experience with the Goon, let me ask you: how slow it down before and during pattern. I struggle with it during this phase.

The only way I’ve found some success is setting MAP 20-15’ and 1800rpm. When I reach 135 I extend the landing gear (I haven’t found its Vlo/Vle), and below 112, 1/2 flaps. On final, 3/4 flaps and full prop, keeping 90 mph. Is this procedure acceptable? I’ve been searching info about this topic and the only way I’ve found some references, has been watching videos on youtube recorded on the cockpit.

I’ll appreciate any help

2 Likes

You might try setting the props at full increase earlier, that flat pitch helps slow things down a little also extending gear earlier will help also.

5 Likes

Delete “CFD_ReinjectHTailY = 1” in the flightmodel.cfg, no idea whos idea it was to enable this broken setting.