What is your earliest PC and Flight Simulator pairing

Flight Simulator. I think the title was JSF. I can’t find the game but someone may be able to help. Ran it in CGA and the model was of an F22. You could take off and land at an airport or on an aircraft carrier. As you can see by the specs of the computer the game was pretty basic. This was late 1980’s when I couldn’t afford an EGA computer.

UPDATE

Thanks to HerkDvr, who found the game for me and used to play it, I can confirm the game was Jet Fighter II: Advanced Tactical Fighter Luckily it ran in CGA as well.

Computer IBM PC model 5150 (IMB XT)
Specs
Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz.
RAM 256 KB Stock or 640 KB maximum (can’t remember)
Video IBM Color Graphics CGA.
Input IBM Model F 83-key keyboard.
Sound PC_speaker.
Two internal 5.25-inch single floppy disk drives (360 KB).
No hard drive.

3 Likes

Compaq Deskpro with an EGA card. Thats right, I had a fancy machine with 16 colors. And the original Microsoft Flight Simulator.

But truthfully back then I wasn’t into the flying aspect. So I bought it. When I found out cities were just a bunch of rectangles and triangles, I lost interest back then.

2 Likes

On approach, the runway would grow from a white dot on an otherwise black screen to a blob, then to a tiny trapezoid, until, on landing the trapezoid would fill the screen. I loved it!

Sinclair ZX-81 with 64k MemoPak.

16 Likes

Sublogic Flight Simulator II
Atari 520ST with a monocrome monitor
68000 processor with 8 MHz
512kB RAM
640x400 monochrome

4 Likes

Same for me :slight_smile: Although I believe I (my father technically) had the premium version with 1MB (!) of RAM.

1 Like

Dragon32 and “Night Flight”. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHV6heQHst4

Commodore 64 with Flight Simulator. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

4 Likes

Aces of the Pacific and FS 4.0 on a 100MHz 486 on DOS/Windows 3.1. These were the days, my friend! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Commodore PET with “Jumbo Jet Lander”.
Later on I worked for a retail chain as a techie, when the IBM PC compatibles hit the market. We bought the original Flight Simulator as a compatibility test, and I’ve been flying it and its successors ever since.

1 Like

The Dam Busters on the 48K ZX Spectrum.

2 Likes

First sim flown was on a Spectrum but this inspired me to buy the Amstrad CPC464. Lusted after a PC and got my first one free, a Compaq Deskpro 386/20e which enabled me to run my own MS sim rather than blagging time on others. Since then of course, it has just been one big expense but one that I would never have swapped.

2 Likes

Started Flight simulation on a Mac 512kbyte

1 Like

I had an old pentium 1 or 2 with win 3.11 ,I had Red baron installed on it, I spent lot of time on, it also had a flight simulator (probably the 95 ? not sure) but didn’t played it, I was too young (I had 11 years old) and had no manual , then never understood what was the keys binding etc and not really many interest on just flying, I was more attracted by the fps like :-p

Mine was a Timex Sinclair.

IMG_3028

I’m pretty sure we had to load FS via cassette like the guy above.

IMG_3029

That’s not just a shot of the instrument panel, that’s also the out the window view! :joy:

Amazing how far we’ve come!

8 Likes

BBC micro computer with 16k of ram later doubled to a massive 32k running Aviator.

Consider myself very fortunate to have lived long enough to experience MSFS virtual reality.
The multitude of challenges involved in keeping up with developing technologies since the late 70’s have undoubtedly contributed to keeping my mental abilities in great shape in my late 70’s :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I grew up with subLOGIC Flight Simulator II for Atari 8-bit computers! Amazing what they could squeeze into a machine with just 64 KiB of RAM… O_o

“Say ‘less than 60fps is unplayable’ one more time, mother-effer!” :wink: :wink:

7 Likes

It’s amazing that PFD synthetic vision looks better than this now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sublogic Flight Simulator on an Apple II computer.

2 Likes

Sublogic Flight Simulator II on C64 and darn near every Sim / PC combo since. (1983)

3 Likes

FS95 with Pentium 166 and Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro…

Together with: Comanche Maximum Overkill in DOS and Janes Longbow Gold