What monitor should I get for my Radeon 6700 xt?

I’ve got a Ryzen 5800x, 32 GB ram, and a Radeon 6700 xt. Both are undervolted (cpu is doing slightly better and the gpu is about the same). I’m currently using a regular 23 inch wide 60 hz monitor (BenQ GL 2460)

I’m wondering if it is worthwhile for this game to upgrade to an ultra-wide monitor or a monitor with a better refresh rate? I think I’m currently hitting the 60 FPS limit in ultra mode (flying over the country-side), though I’m not sure if there is that much room to exceed it. I think I might prefer going wide over more FPS, but I’m doubting my card will support it.

I was looking around for benchmarks, but I know that there was a recent update that caused FPS rates to increase by 10 for many GPUs. Is there a community-maintained list (like a spreadsheet) of FPS rates for different setups?

I’m thinking about something like this one. Probably complete overkill for Flight Simulator 2020, but would be fun for other games.

Can you run this at 1080p and still have it look good? (Eg. 2560 x 1080) Or is having it run at native resolution important? I think my gpu could do 2560 x 1080 at 60 fps in ultra, or a toned down version of ultra. But there is no way it could do it at 3440 x 1440.

I’m sorry, I don’t understand your question. It seems like you’re worried it won’t support widescreen resolutions?

The AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT has three standard DisplayPort 1.4 ports and one HDMI 2.1 port that offers support for displaying video in 4K resolutions at 120Hz, and up to 8K at 60Hz.

I’m not an AMD user, but my very old GTX1050 could support a 5760 x 1080 3 screen single window that I used with FSX. I had upgraded to an RTX2070 with the same monitor layout by the time I purchased MSFS, and it worked great for me as well. Even so, having 3 screens across my desk was a bit of a pain. A couple of weeks later I switched to single 55 in 4K monitor and I’ve been loving it.

I imagine a simple google search or read of the box for card would answer your question. What sort of benchmark are you wondering about? Is FPS really more important to you than just flying?

Personally, I’m using an LG 55UN7300 4K TV ($375 at Costco last year) as my monitor for a i7-4790K/16GB/RTX2070 system on my desk (28 in from me) and I love it. It essentially gives me a life size view of my cockpit, and it’s just like when I’m actually flying in the real planes I rent. A year later, I still get shocked at how views out the window look just like when I fly.

Granted, I’m a GA flyer, and I’m perfectly happy with flying at 20 - 30 FPS, but, still, I’m sure your graphics card can handle any monitor you give it, and, since you have a 6700xt, I’m imagining you have a wayyy better system than me. Why anyone uses anything less than 55" 4K these days is beyond me.

My problem with ultrawide view screens is that the outside edges get really distorted, so I prefer using mouse view to look around than depend on a really widescreen setup.

Thanks for all this information!

Did MSFS 2020 actually work on multiple screens? I thought it could only run on one screen. I’ve got two 23 inch screens and would love to try that out before investing in a bigger screen.

The problem with Google searches is that the last major update to MSFS 2020 increased FPS by anywhere from 10-25 for my video card and others. So a lot of the tests were done before this update and are out of date. That’s why I’m curious as to whether there is a maintained spreadsheet of tests - as I’d love to see results from different people using my hardware (gpu and very approximately similar cpu) with different resolutions.

Thanks for the comment that ultrawide can lead to distorted edges.

I do sit pretty close to the monitor, and also have limited space, so a 55 inch monitor would be too big.

I’m not sure what a GA Flyer is.

Well, with nVidia, it has the capability to create a single full screen layout over multiple screens. I don’t know if AMD can do that. Worst case, you could extend your screen across three screens in Windows and stretch the window across 3 screens. Unfortunately, I seem to lose FPS when in windowed mode.

I’m just using a normal desk, about 5ft wide, TV screen is at the back of it. I just measured the distance again, it’s just 24 in away. As long as your desk is at least 3 to 4 ft wide, I’d consider a 55 in monitor. Forget what your mom used to tell you about sitting too close to the TV :wink:

It’s just a lot bigger. And going 4K is really cool as well as it’s awesome how many windows you can open when developing or doing anything.

The main planes I fly are the JF Warrior (same as the planes I rent), and the P149 (I’m considering buying one of these someday maybe). I hear the airliners suffer in the FPS department, I imagine mostly because of the PFD/MFD screens they use.