What solved c0000005 for me

Thought I would share my very frustrating experience with a very generic error code that could be lots of things. Tl:Dr: Disable overclocked hardware!

I’ve had about 50 c0000005 CTDs in 3 weeks on my new PC, and have been pulling my hair out thinking it was hardware peripherals or software related, tinkering with add-on linker, CPU and GPU settings etc trying to find a pattern.

I finally downloaded the programme OCCT to perform stress tests on my PC components. The CPU and RAM were FULL of them. Thousands in a minute. The system was clearly unstable.

Now, upon ordering my PC, I had specifically requested Corsair Vengeance, 6000mhz RAM, CL30 or CL36 close timings for performance… Instead they had installed 4800mhz RAM and used EXPO to run it at 6000mhz CL36, and changed the voltage. So I entered BIOS and disabled EXPO and run the RAM at default.

Back into the OCCT progrmame, I reperformed the stress tests. No errors found and I’ve been running the sim crash free now with all my add-ons. Relief… for now. :joy:

3 Likes

Have you tried it with EXPO enabled, FCLK set to AUTO, and all RAM voltages and timings set to AUTO?

Not knowing what exact RAM they installed, it’s hard to say, but I know mine is listed as DDR4-3600. It runs at 2666MHz (default frequency) with XMP disabled, and a very stable 3600MHz with XMP-2 enabled. If I play around with voltages AT ALL the system becomes unstable. I can adjust the CL timings a little, but I went back to AUTO, because the potential for introducing instability far outweighs any minute gains I might get by mucking around with that stuff.

You might find that with the things I mentioned above on AUTO, and EXPO enabled, you’ll get 6000MHz.

One other thing: I know some motherboards have problems with DDR5-6000. MSI in particular had to release a BIOS update to get it to run on certain B650 motherboards, even though they claimed in the original sales literature that it was rated for it. So if you haven’t already (I didn’t see it mentioned) you should definitely update your BIOS to the latest version - regardless of the manufacturer.

And double-check that the motherboard says they support it. Some still don’t. I doubt you have one of those, but it doesn’t hurt to check.

Good job, though, troubleshooting a bothersome and generic error like that. I hope it helps others who are having the same problem.

No reply???

Sorry, I’ve been busy in the process of crashcourse in overclocking, collecting screenshots and testing to become embroiled in a battle with the retailer that sold the PC. Your post has been very helpful.

The RAM is in corrext 2 & 4 slots, BIOS up to date.

The Corsair Vengeance RAM they installed isn’t on my Asus b650 Tuf gaming plus wifi QVL.

The Vengeance RAM they installed has a Micron die. I’ve been able to overclock to 5600mhz, CL 36-38-38-80 at 1.25v. This is the fastest I can get it, stable and passing 20 min stress tests. Any faster and I have to CMOS to revert back. Feeling like I’ve been fleeced paying for the ‘upgrade’.

2 Likes

That’s too bad. I hope that builder makes it right, and gives you the RAM you paid for.

Great you’ve been able to fix it and thanks for posting an update. Most folks just cut and run as soon as they’ve fixed it and no one is any the wiser.

I had a strange similarish issue on an older CPU, a R3600 to be exact. The RAM would blue screen my rig when clocking at 3600mhz, had to revert to 3200. Since I upgraded to the 5800X3D, however, 3600mhz hasn’t been an issue at all.

To coin a phrase from @BegottenPoet228 in another thread, “It’s voodoo and I don’t understand it.” :+1:

2 Likes

for what it’s worth, there’s is no such thing as 6000 (or whatever speed) RAM. All ram will run at default speed. For a DDR5 system with a b650 board, this is 4800. Any specified speed on ANY ram kit, will be XMP or EXPO profile…which is just an overclock…no overclock is guaranteed, even if you buy RAM which is on the qvl…because it depends on so many factors. It’s a pairing of the RAM, the board and the CPU, and NONE of those will ever be guaranteed to run at anything ABOVE the base speed of 4800 (I think some later release DDR5 have base speed of 5600 when paired with 13/14 gen).

I had loads of issues with my old system which was still pretty high spec in theory. I had a 12700k, z690 board and 6400mhz ddr5…I could never get the ddr5 stable at anything above 5600…and even 5600 took some work.

with my new system, 14900k, z790, the 6400 kit runs at xmp just fine.

also, for what it’s worth…I don’t actually notice ANY performance difference in ANY games or apps, outside of synthetic ram benchmarks…so even letting the ram run at 4800…is probably fine…and will produce less heat.

Yep it will be 5600mhz for 13 & 14 gen. Over that and it’s an OC.This is how it is on my MSI Pro B760 VC Wifi II

I had the company replace my RAM with G.skill trident Z5s, which is on the motherboard QVL. Using Buildzoids OC setting at 30-36-36-28 at 6000mhz, it benchmarks well, but more importantly, no gaming problems since.

Just be aware that copying people’s settings, might not work out. I was also using the bz settings for a while, but after a few weeks, i did a random check for system errors and the were some corruptions found. I mean, it might be perfectly fine, but just be aware, settings can seem fine but cause issues over time.

The benefit of hugely tuned ram vs just xmp is probably very little in terms of end frame rate.