What the actual is "ground roll" in landing challenges?

Hey, all!

I´ve tackled this once (to no avail) and i seem to be the only one who cares, but still:
why the heck is centerline deviation called “ground roll”?

Have a nice sunday!

1 Like

Ground roll is stopping distance!

1 Like

Okay, but why is it depicted as centerline deviation?

Landing precision is centreline tracking and touchdown zone, Ground roll is stopping distance. That’s how my pilot brain deciphers the correct terminology for flying IRL. Who knows how Asobo see it!

As far as I know there were 4 criteria in the beginning. They removed one and it seems they combined the picture from one with the name of the other. And in a year they didn’t manage to fix that.

7 Likes

I see landing precision as to how close you have landed to the actual touchdown zone and ground roll as how much you deviate and move from the centre line of the runway!

3 Likes

Yea based on the numbers I’ve seen “ground roll” is actually lateral distance from the centerline.
Regards

2 Likes

Nor surprising when you consider that they have “Departures”, and “Arrivals” swapped around when looking at live airport traffic. That in theory should be a 5 minute fix, yet it’s still there also.

2 Likes

So stopping distance isn‘t factored in? Wouldn‘t surprise me since should be nearly the same for anybody per challenge…

After doing some thorough testing, I’ve come to a pretty much 100% certainty that Ground Roll is determined by ADDING your max deviance from the centerline ON BOTH SIDES from touchdown to full stop. So if you first touchdown 30ft out to the left of the centerline, then over-correct and go 20ft to the right, it’s going to mark you at 50 ft.
If you come back to centerline from there and/or go and over-correct again back to the left, it’s only going to add to your distance(deduct from score) if you then go past your max distance that has been established on both sides(in this case 30ft to the left and 20ft to the right).

1 Like

I don‘t really think so. I think they might just have forgotten to correct this…

I think ground roll was indeed intended to do what is says: to measure how far you travel after t/d but then they placed it next to „centerline“ which is (as said in the loading screen) there to score your deviation from it…

There is absolutely no definitive consensus on this a full year after release and I think it’s just hysterical. 100% of the time someone chimes in an incredibly confident manner that the ground roll score in the game is the distance the plane travels down the runway before stopping. And this is 100% not the case. I just got essentially perfect landing precision and ground roll but was fast and traveled hundreds of ft past the touchdown point before stopping. To be fair that is what ground roll actually means.

I’m not sure why this is still an issue so far after release. Is it an English-French language thing? A far better description would be centerline accuracy or centerline track or something along those lines. The naming is definitely messed up and has caused this weird ambiguity all this time.

4 Likes

I think this issue originally came about because there was supposed to be a ‘ground roll’ AND a ‘center line’ score, but when dropping the ground roll score they used the ‘ground roll’ name alongside the ‘centre line’ score.

So basically, where it says ‘ground roll’ in the game, it should actually say ‘center line’ (as per the loading screen message posted above), and that ‘ground roll’ isn’t actually scored, as you have mentioned.

Pretty sure this bug has been around since launch and I can’t imagine it’s high priority to fix it.

1 Like

So do your wheels have to touch down in the blue square (and bring it to a dead stop there after) or do you have to stop in the blue square… .dead stop in the blue square?

blue square is the touchdown target.

1 Like

As I’m really exploring these activities right now I am definitely finding the scoring confusing. What’s displayed is backward. Ground roll should be how far down the runway you go, yet the graphic indicates lateral distance. And the words “Landing precision” should really be “Lateral Precision”. Landing Smoothness, while ok, should probably be called “Rate of Descent at Touchdown”. And the total score, the way things are set up right now, should be called “Touchdown Precision” not Landing Precision since we’re not factoring more than what the plane is doing when it touches down.

To have a truly representative “Landing” score I think a lot more should be factored into the total score. Touchdown precision is one factor, sure. But so is approach stability, approach lateral precision, smooth descent rate and on glideslope (if it applies…ILS should be tuned as part of the activity startup otherwise I’m flying blind in jets during a typical nose high approach), proper management of airspeed, flaps, maintaining lateral precision throughout rollout, etc. A stable approach is an integral part of a “landing,” so if you want to score based on simulating a real landing then all those things should be part of a total “Landing Precision” score!

I bet it’ll be a lot harder for people to get those insanely high scores!

2 Likes

Aren’t the nav radios disabled requiring you to hand fly?

I’ve always known this had to do with centerline deviation. However sometimes it seemed off, and here is why… After some testing this is how it works. It is the deviation on touchdown PLUS the deviation continued thereafter.

See the following:

NOTE: Bottom numbers are the initial deviation from center. The trail markings with arrows denote the deviation while moving down the runway.

1 Like

My Initial question remains: how is (visually depicted) centerline deviation called “ground Roll”?

1 Like

Would it be possible for this to be escalated by a Moderator to the Community Manager level for resolution? In other words, it really needs to be taken to the Devs to tell us exactly what the scoring system is in detail, for both Landing Precision and Ground Roll. I certainly hope that Landing Smoothness is just the Feet Per Minute at touchdown point :slight_smile:

It seems this wouldn’t take much time to sort out and get a definitive answer. And it would benefit so many customers who fly the challenges.

Landing challenges are a really cool feature, but not knowing the scoring system is very odd, especially this long after release.

1 Like