What we do while flying

OK this may be a bit strange but it is actually quite compelling.
Flying low, around 4000FT with a Cessna 172 or such like, I often follow highways.
Specially over Canada. Highways connect communities and often when I fly over a small
Community, I Pause the flight, switch to Little Navmap running in the background and see
what the name is. I then go online and have a look.
Often there are community websites or company sites with images of people and activities.
Yup, a bit strange, but after a while of doing that ā€˜realityā€™ gets a whole new meaning.
Suddenly you are now flying over a place where you now know real people live, you have seen them, activities take place etc. small communities, some not even incorporated.
Then I go back to the Simulator, un-pause and continue.
I been doing this a while and it has become strangely compelling.
Worth a try.
I know, weird, but thats me.

15 Likes

What do I do when Iā€™m flying?

I stroke chocolate and eat the cat.

I may have got the two mixed up. :rofl:

11 Likes

You can do the same with real aviation charts
There is a freesite for Canadian Sectionals

1 Like

Sometimes Iā€™ll go further and hop in the drone and explore the area too.

1 Like

I follow rivers. Sometimes if Iā€™m in a slow plane i follow ships.

2 Likes

Laundry, dishes, maybe have a snack and a bottle of Red Oakā€¦

2 Likes

Watch flight simulator videos, Iā€™m not addicted or anything by the way.

8 Likes

I have always researched airfields and places (just my academic nature and love of history, maps, old pics etc) and now I record that in YT videos. I think without that I might get a bit bored. Oh, I also fly with some regular local and overseas friends. Cheers.

2 Likes

I host a weekly stream that does exactly this! We talk about the history of the area, geography, and a whole lot of other stuff. Just went through North Bay, Sudbury, and Sault Ste Marie last night.

3 Likes

If Iā€™m flying long haul Iā€™ll get to cruise and go do other things until TOD. Short haul, I usually prepare all my information in regards to my approach and landing.

2 Likes

I do the same as the OP, but find Little Navmap maps to be a bit lacking sometimes. Iā€™m using ā€˜OpenStreetMapā€™ or ā€˜OpenTopoMapā€™ if I need to pay closer attention to the terrain. What map do you use>

2 Likes

If flying a helicopter, absolutely nothing other than fly the helicopter!

6 Likes

I generally use sectional charts or IFR enroute charts in the US.

1 Like

:rofl: Yesterday, I was messing around with some aircraft I hadnā€™t flown in a long time in VRā€¦ and had the US Open running in VR on FSDesktop in the cruise :rofl:

2 Likes

I tend to have a long distance ā€œtourā€ always in progress which i fly a leg of now and then, instead of whatever usual flying i do. This tour invariably involves unfamiliar places and i look up the areas where i land, the theory being if i was doing this for real, Iā€™d spend some time there (Iā€™ve done this for real on adhoc week long motorcycle trips across Europe).

Iā€™ve done USA coast to coast and am currently working my way up the Norwegian fjords, mostly in GA or bush planes.

3 Likes

I also like to open Google maps when I land at an airfield and explore the adjacent town in the walk mode, see where people eat and hang out. It really makes you feel like travelling.

4 Likes

I use Google Earth quite a bit to research areas for flight. During the flight I try not to interrupt it with any maps or even the game settings. I want to completely forget Iā€™m in a simulator. IMHO, this is the most amazing thing about MSFS.

3 Likes

I fly over famous locations that I know from my favorite movies, I want to soak up that atmosphere. I also look for places that I plan to see in real life.

3 Likes

Listening to Creepy Pastas.
If I listen to 5000 more I might find out how cryptids look like, what comes after death and if salt or garlic is better against supernatural things. Maybeā€¦ or maybe not.

Sometimes I start a movie with the VLC player like it was some kind of audio book. Event Horizon or X-Files episodes are best suited for this task.

1 Like

Thatā€™s an excellent idea!

Sometimes I fly somewhere I used to live, or know, just to see how itā€™s changed over the years.  Sometimes it reminds me of old loves that have died or have moved on - and it can become very emotional, to the point I have to pause or quit the sim.
:sleepy: