What's up with the "ESC" function? Killed two flights in DC-6

This isn’t new but previously, I suspected it was just a strange “anomaly”. Twice while flying the new PMD DC-6, I’ve hit the “ESC” key to pause the sim. after re-entering the sim, I’m met with strange behaviors. I fried an engine yesterday because after coming back from pause, my #2 throttle just went full, by iteslf. Then all the power levers began moving by themselves.

Today, I come back from pause and my control wheel is jittering around and then just noses over. The plane almost did a an “inside” loop. crashed. All this was before I had an issue re-engaging the Gyro Pilot. This last bit I think is still an issue with the MSFS default autopilot. I’ve disengaged the AP in other aircraft and not been able to re-engage without a bunch of presses of the AP engage/disengage button. Anyone else seen strange behavior coming back from “ESC”?

1 Like

Check your bindings. Don’t have throttle controls or flaps, or spoilers that are bound to a non-existent hardware. And make sure you don’t have double bindings where two or more hardware has bound into the same control command.

Thanks, but I don’t. Looked at that one too. It’s strange that I only noticed it coming out of pause. It seems there are other threads noting similar behavior. Will keep an eye out.

I’m not sure here but ESC isn’t really pause. There is an actual pause button, binding and there is also active pause.

Tbh I never fly if I am going to have to pause it, of course things crop up… But I’d rather just terminate the flight…

I have tried Active pause and it had problems… The other just Pause seems to work well.

See this thread, option 3 - you set 2 key bindings.

1 Like

Escape used to be the more reliable way to pause. In the past “Active Pause” caused weird behavior on returning, especially, because, well, things like your engine kept consuming fuel even though you weren’t moving, and when you came back, often you’d be plunged into a dive, basically the whole world kept moving around you.

The Escape key used to pause the game, and return you to exactly where you were. But, about 2 or 3 updates ago, MSFS started forgetting the state of various controls. For instance, and this has happened to me, if you paused while taxiing, you’d come back and suddenly your plane couldn’t move. The parking brake was clearly in the off position, what the heck is going on, wait a second, if I hit the parking brake, I can move again. IOW, MSFS was resetting the parking brake but not showing it in the controls of the plane.

Other people have been recording the same experiences, with different controls being affected upon return depending on the state of the plane prior to pausing. Thing is, it doesn’t always happen.

And, in typing this, I wonder if it has to do with, rather than remembering the state of all controls, I wonder if they are applying the aircraft’s *.flt files, choosing one kind of based on the state of the flight. I just checked the plane I had the issue with, and the parking brake is set to =0.0 in the taxi.flt. I wonder if 0.0 means the brake is on or off? Then I looked at the apron.flt, and, yes, I was on the apron when I hit Esc, I had paused before entering the named taxi lane, in that file Parking Brake = 100.00. Perhaps this is what’s going on?

Throttle parameters in cruise are .722 for the DC-6 in Cruise.flt, of all the files, this is the highest value of the throttle levers in all of the *.flt files. There’s a billion lines in each of the *.flt files of the DC-6, most of which are unintelligible to me, so I didn’t do an exhaustive check of all variables. The Carenado Archer *.flt files, where I personally first observed the behavior, are much simpler :slight_smile:

2 Likes