When does the fun end and the hardship starts for you?

True - though I have to say that on my end it’s not about performance. I’m an old FSX guy - if I have my 25-30 FPS without much stuttering I’m fine. It was more about the things that work, then brake, then patch up, work only to brake again.

3 Likes

Thanks for your reply - yes I tested and it works with other planes.

When does the fun end and the hardship starts for you?

Easy answer – When you stop Playing with MSFS, and start Developing for it !!!

2 Likes

This is the downside of having regularly updated software. If you remember FSX, you rarely had to worry about updates making things incompatible. But you did have to worry about that extremely inconvenient bug you found that won’t ever get fixed.

Personally, I don’t mind the frequent updates. Sure it takes a while to get off the ground especially if you’re coming back after a bit of a break. But overall checking for updates for my many addons and mods is no different than doing my preflight walk around for an actual aircraft.

As far as beta aircraft are concerned: I’d be inclined to agree with others in this thread and say you’re asking for trouble if they straight up tell you it might not work right! :smile:

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more - on other platforms were two patches and other things were never addressed nor was any feedback provided. FSX did not even run fluent on top hardware available at the time it was released, memory leaks all over the place and laughable default aircraft but the C172, from the outside and the inside. You could see there wasn’t much effort put into the overall default stuff and other core related things were ported for generations (flight models, ai traffic and ATC - some stuff was ported even from FS98) it somehow worked as most people were not even able to complain.

Asobo takes a different route on the decades old framework and replaces this bit by bit with all new optimized code.

Not even P3D goes this far and really the sim is optimised for me: my system is not top notch but optimized as good as possible while being outdated but right now as I write I fly a modified 747-8f with Salty mod installed from OMDB to EDDK in 4k on settings beyond ultra at 40fps steadily for 5 hours now. It looks and feels good to me and provides fun.

This fun won’t end for me that fast as I appreciate the effort the team at Asobo takes into this monolithical project with all things planned and provided without additional cost. I really cannot wait to see what the future of this platform brings.

2 Likes

When I created a vfr flight plan for some long flight, started cold and dark with full tanks, ran through all the checklists, logged into VATSIM, did a radio check, went through the startup call, request taxi, do my run up before holding short, check some bindings and graphics settings last minute, get clearance from atc, roll up the runway, punch the throttle, fly the departure procedure, get handed off to uncontrolled airspace… all fun! … check my instruments… to find out that my tanks have defaulted to half full again, because of my trip to the menu, so that I can’t make it through my flight plan without an extra tank stop.
Now… that… is… what I call… hardship…

I think there would be more hardship for anyone just starting or coming back after a long break because so much has changed and improved that it needs learning again or for the first time.

1 Like

When the money runs out. That’s when the Hardship begins.

But serously; best policy is always to run your rig a little bit below the specs you think it can do - then, pretty much - it’ll keep up with what you’re flying/ doing/ simmulating…

I’m currently flying Fenix A320 flawlessly - because I don’t melt my motherboard to get it to work perfectly but I’m very, very happy with it.

It’s a balancing act - always has been; FS9, FSX and P3D and XP (Pray to the skies above this does not turn into a Sim Wars situation Thread - because it shouldn’t do)
MSFS is no exception to that Rule.

One needs to Tweak in order to Fly :wink:

For me, the only thing that really bothers is the occasional CTD.
I don’t use a lot of addons and things were pretty good until SU8 (no CTDs at all flying FBW A320 multiple times a week).

After SU9, multiple CTDs after a few minutes, then multiple hours without issues.

Last week I started having CTDs every flight, so I decided it was time to reinstall everything from scratch and add things back little by little.

I had flown 10 hours so far with the C310R without a single issue. Let’s see how long it will last.

I normally use P2ATC, FSUIPC7, SpadNext and a few mods besides the aircraft and PMS50 GTN750.

It is frustrating and when I get a CTD, I even stop playing for a couple of days, but then everything works and I have a great time…

It is a love and hate relationship…

I kind of like all the tinkering around, upgrading, tweaking, etc.

I just don’t like some of the more annoying bugs, like no sound and then I have to restart the sim.

Luckily, I don’t get CTDs despite being heavy into 3rd party community mods.

I think you should count yourself lucky if you’re getting away with 50/50. :slight_smile:

Since the early days of Prepar3D I have been a little nervous each time I load a simulator.
I will say X-Plane was for me the most satisfying and trouble free experience but the graphics outside of an airplane?.

I love MSFS 2020 in so many ways and because of the real world graphics can’t go back, but it does cost me serious hours of background work like yourself.
My airport collection/collecting is a ridiculously serious addiction I can’t seem to break, even though, with over 1000 so far and stupid amounts on money spent, I’ve probably flown in and out of 500 if I’m lucky.

A mass of hardware to program for every aircraft also adds to the time spent on the ground and I sometimes envy those who are satisfied with a mouse and keyboard and an x-box controller.

I know if I stopped buying new or getting freeware aircraft and scenery things would settle down, but being retired and therefore having the luxury of being able to sit here all day if I choose, fixing or attempting to improve things, I have to wonder how the real folk who work 9 to 5 manage to ever get off the ground between updates. :slight_smile:

Regardless, everyday I’m so excited and grateful that flight simulation has come this far since my first simulator on the Tandy TRS-80 in 1980.

Cheers All…Enjoy!

Do you have the Goose? I think I read that the milviz 300 was using the goose’s custom 750 if goose installed and maybe the same thing is happening here.

200GB community folder no problems whatsoever with MSFS.
All my issues went away for myself and 2 relatives once updating to Windows 11. (in Beta version)

I keep my NVIDIA drivers on the latest version and do not run any Antivirus.

Maybe it’s coincidence and luck.

The fun for me is the sim - warts and all. The hardship is explaining to my wife why I’m always “playing that b##### game”!

When you can’t buy the study level aircraft because it’s not sold in the in game marketplace and the websites that your trying to buy it from list the product in pounds and not in the US currency it’s just a real bummer, (now I have to wait to see if aerosoft brings their md80 over) and I was waiting for the PMDG 737 on the marketplace also and that never came over to the market place day one it came out

One of the main reasons I bought an xbox was for a plug and play experience where I didn’t have to constantly fiddle with it and debug it. The result? More time spent trying to find ways to use it that don’t CTD during a flight or trying to find causes of extreme stutters and pauses than flying how I wanted to fly. Ironically I’d have probably been better off with a PC.

Currently taking a few days off from MSFS as it was more frustrating than fun, hoping for more patches from Asobo that actually fix the xbox instability and performance so it works like it should, 3rd party airports and all.

1 Like

I don’t know what they did in that last patch for Xbox Series X but it actually FIXED so many of the problems I have been having at least. Everything is MUCH smoother when it comes to FPS and it doesn’t crash nearly as often. Anyone else notice this?

1 Like

I really doubt it was the patch as the release notes clearly stated they fixed only the startup CTD and nothing else.

More likely random chance and overloaded/not overloaded servers at different times of the week. Fingers crossed it carries on working for you but don’t count those chickens yet.

4 Likes

When I am approaching an airport after a semi long flight and just before touchdown I get a CTD. Nothing could make me more upset except FS2020 not wanting to load from the get go. Please MS and others get the CTDs fixed and stop doing updates until you have the game stable and working for everyone…

1 Like

When needing to pile up all the money for something really REALLY life-changing important and not wanting to risking to loose 60 Bucks for that Fenix Airbus until all the important things are settled - that´s really a new kind of torture seeing everyone enjoying this awesome stylish Airbus!

Everyone!

No not everyone… because out there is one cat who is grounded for two months… :smiley: