When does the fun end and the hardship starts for you?

Hello All

I wanted to write this question for quite some time tbh. This is to gauge your view on our hobby and how much fun there (still) vs. the hardships we go through.

So, for me right now I feel as if I spend around the same time downloading patches, updates etc. and chasing bugs/issues than i actually fly.

I don’t have an inordinate amount of addons - I think I’m fairly “average” I guess. But even then, there are so many systems to keep up to date, it’s borderline crazy. And after every SU the whole circle starts over again.

Now, I have maybe 10 add-ons which I like to fly more or less regularely (also in order not to forget how to operate the planes lol). But this seems harder and harder.

Take yesterday. Wanted to spin the Cessna 414 up. The thing was working just fine some weeks ago.
Now I downloaded the latest version of the 414, then WU9 came and also a PMS 750 update.
And now the 414 750 will not follow the NAV and the altitude selector is not working anymore (it works on the 530 though…)

So, you get the picture right? I’m really at a point where I either throw MSFS from my hardrdive for a year and see if Asobo stops breaking stuff all the time. It should be fun to fly no? And yes, I’m fine spending maybe 10% or so on “maintenance work” on my system but now? More and more I observe myself being tempted to fly but then thinking: Ah no - it’s not worth the time until the stuff works again.

So, in the end it also means that I will not buy any new stuff for the sim. It’s just adding complexity. Which is maybe not good for the sim but I really can’t be bothered to go on like this.

I wonder how you guys/gals see this? Am I just whining around for no reason? Having similar issues?

best

9 Likes

Heh, it has always been the way in flight simming.
But obviously when you use an aircraft that is in beta using an AP this is really beta (the WT AP) too you have to expect problems.

The Fenix A320 made me spend a day or so squeezing the best FPS out of my rig but other than that, I don’t really have any real problems beside the known bugs and even with those, they don’t interfere with flying GA flights realistically which is what I prefer. Certainly I have far fewer issues and spend far less time tweaking than when I used FSX!

2 Likes

Too many CTD:s and I’m out. The other stuff I can learn to live with but when my PC freezes after 2 hours of airliner flying I lose all interest in trying again.

2 Likes

I know what you mean and agree.

If I want to just start the game and fly without any fuss I just stick to default planes. They work without any issues and I have given me hours and hours of fun. One time I just flew around for 4 hours.

The King Air, TBM, Citation etc are good fun. Even the Asobo A320neo for me is fun as I like tubes but im a casual.

Do you use a mod manager? It makes things much easier to troubleshoot.

1 Like

Hi Katana
Yes - I forgot the name but I’m using probably the one that most ppl use. Maybe I have to drill down my “daily drivers” and focus on them. Sadly but maybe that is the only way to stay sane haha.

1 Like

I have never hit the too hard stage and so cannot really comment. Except for this.

3 Likes

I was quite lucky with issues with a sim. Beginning was hard as I had to rebuild my p3d sim rig. Hardware upgrade and moving from multiscreen in to one big as MSFS still has issue with it. I also gave up VR as I can’t make it work. My sim PC is not high end but good enough to run Alyx on Quest2 with all bells and whistles with heart attack immersion in some places Il2 also runs perfectly. MSFS its completely different story. PC is boiling trying to squeeze frames enough for a poor 18hz with a blurines around that I can forget to set anything on G1000 and it looks like avg game on Quest2 . Pancake mode is whole different world. Almost everything maxed out 4K with 85% scaling and it looks beautiful. Only volumetric clouds on high as ultra is turning my 2070s into cooker and slideshow projector in some moments :smiley: Other than that never had big issues but I have on few addons and only 2 3rd party planes. After p3d/FSX times I found this sim pretty addon less :smiley:

I fly mostly airliners and since SU9 on the PC side its been perfect for me in pancake mode… Apart from a few bugs on the VR side

Apart from annoying issues such a Toolbar windows in VR, poor quality decisions on scenery (bridges in Florence as an example)! the occasional freeze or CTD, for me the sim is far from broken, it still amazes me every week. Guess I’m fortunate to have a high end system with good fibre connection.

1 Like

Yeah the ToolBar window narrow issue is really annoying in VR, Was really hoping this would of been fixed in the last hotfix…How wrong was i, Apart from that the sim is runing great for me, High End PC version.

I fly daily and still love this sim, On one hand i look forward to Sim Updates, On the other i dread them as everytime they break something that was working before fine.

Exactly.

I’m now in the position of waiting for updates then, download, restart the PC and sim then try a flight. After the latest update I managed just 2 minutes in the air before CTD. I will now wait in hope (not much hope) for the next update before I fly this sim again. Fortunately the competition doesn’t suffer these problems but lacks the scenery.

its funny that you complain about a 3rd party aircraft with a 3rd party addon and then say

as ive tried to explain in another post - the game is Not breaking your addons, its your Addons that are breaking the Game (at least from a development standpoint)
note that not a single word or complaint was about the base game itself there?
you dont blame a car manufacturer for an aftermarket tire blowing out, do you?

having said that its really odd since the only updates that really affected addons directly where WU5 & WU6, since then its been like everyone wants to blame asobo/ms for 3rd party failures - it makes no sense to me :stuck_out_tongue: but hey to each their own i guess

anyway, OP you may have better luck getting that aircraft or those systems to work by posting on the appropriate discord or forum of those 3rd party addons
good luck

2 Likes

Yea - well I heard the exact opposite. I would have to google it up again, but I remember several instances where Asobo made some last minute changes to the sdk or what not which caused issues.

Take for example the many issues regarding capturing ILS where it seemed that there was a core issue with the sim, proliferating into different add-ons.

But surely it is not only Asobo to be blamed - and if it sounded like this then I’m sorry.
But I would also not put the blame to the third party dev’s for sure.

And yes, I posted my (current) issue on the flysimware discord - waiting for response tbh…

changes to the sdk are just that, they wont affect addons that have been already made, only the ones your Working on at that time - the sdk has nothing to do with how the game is running (or not)
its a separate optional download only used for making the addons to start with

but yes you here lots of complaints about it and other issues, some (possibly quite a few) are people making excuses or w/e imo
dont get me wrong the game has plenty of issues for itself, it just seems many (even devs) like to blame ms for failures even if they are not at fault or even responsible for them
this has gotten to be a ‘thing’ of some kind - if it doesnt work ‘it must be ms’s fault’ says everyone even the 3rd party stuff? makes no sense to me
so did you even test the default nav systems? was this specific to those 3rd Party addons? or did you Also have trouble using the MS version?

2 Likes

When I found texture and visual bugs in an airplane that took 3 years of development and it will cost me over ten minutes in Photoshop to fix that :smiley:
Lot´s of energy drinks are necessary to overcome this hardship.

Never had any issues for ages because I don’t use ATC, live aircraft, and anything online other than bing data, photogammetry and having a 32GB rolling cache. I don’t have any scenery addons either only a few planes.

My PC is an overclocked i5-9600k, 32GB DDR4, 3070 and my only peripherals is a Thrustmaster hotas t16000m setup with no additional software only windows drivers.

A lot of issues are caused on the users end. I don’t know how long people have been simming but this is a very frustrating hobby things go boom and there’s a lot of tweaking.

Best thing to do is start with a fresh sim. Go through all your keybindings to stop any conflicts. Then slowly start adding things in.

Make sure you have up to date drivers and check your device manager to see if there are any issues. Run eventviewer when it crashes and see what’s up. Also make sure your internet connection is good especially if you’re using bing data/photogammetry.

I think it’s an ego thing as well for a lot of users thinking that they have a 3090 etc etc that they should be playing at 4K in Ultra at 100fps. Sorry it’s a very complicated simulator not some third person adventure game.

For me its spending hours trying to diagnose why my performance sucks. A year ago, I could fly in Ultra with TLOD and OLOD at 300 and 200 and not have any stutters or drops in FPS on take off and landing, or why my Main Thread slowly increases just sitting on the tarmac with everything turned off. Today, my FPS is just about acceptable with TLOD at 100, OLOD at 150 and I’ve had to drop most of my settings down to HIgh for no real reason or tradeoff I can see.

I invested a handsome sum of money building this PC before MSFS came out so I wouldn’t have to do this ■■■■ again like I have done in the past with Xplane and FSX, yet here I am, doing placebo tweaks and spending hours of my precious time trying to gain an extra few measly FPS so I can have a relatively smooth experience.

1 Like

Nope. You could always go back to the previous version that worked. That‘s gone now, you‘re constantly forced to troubleshoot and fix, to get back into the sim at all with all the windows/MS bugs of the store and gaming services, constantly trying to find the new culprits in your community folder and every developer (rightfully) just says „clear your community folder.“ I‘m beyond the point where it was still fun. I‘ve left the sim for now, only roam the forum now and then and went concentrating on DCS. Not perfect but there‘s always the possibility to downgrade.

1 Like

I’m sorry you’re not having fun; I hope it improves for you.

Very few problems over here: avionics 2 switch via SimConnect seems to trigger avionics 1 instead since SU9, otherwise I’ve had no recent troubles. I’m doing lots of VFR flights around the Pacific Northwest and California, taking and sharing screenshots, and having a grand time with flight planning and exploring.

The trick is to manage expectations. The sim raised the bar, and simming has come a long way in the last few years. But, we all want max settings and our favourite mod to be perfect. Meanwhile, we can tweak the sim until it’s stable on our systems, fly the mods that aren’t trash, and wait for the next improvement.