When is the next hotfix?

Fine for me also.

We don’t know the numbers, but Asobo does.

I wish Asobo would tell us the numbers.
Users
Users with PC
Users with XBOX
Users with troubles
Users that can’t install
Users that have troubles with AMD GPUs
Users that have troubles with Nvidia GPUs

I would think that Microsoft would have those numbers, as they operate / control the MSFS servers.

They would know, almost everything about what each player is doing on MSFS, where they were flying, in what plane, how long, and any time they had a CTD.

Its hard to believe that MS (and maybe the FAA & NSA etc ) is not monitoring this data very carefully, with quite heavy analysis.

But why would they even consider sharing this VALUABLE and informative information with anyone else, especially the General Public ?

1 Like

I’m 100% guessing, but this feels like a classic 80/20 situation.

20% of users have 80% of the problems and make 80% of the noise. The other 80% of users have few or no issues and just enjoy the software. They don’t analyze it and try to compare screen shots with a magnifying glass to see if a tree is an oak in one pic and a maple in the other.

2 Likes

I agree but ASOBO should provide the numbers.

Only they can defend themselves.

Great point. It is now obfuscated in the Reliability Monitor… btw this info remains valuable for Zendesk, when you post a CTD complaint… the Reliability Monitor utility it can be found by typing “Reliability” in the Windows menu, you’ll find a calendar with all CTD’s that occurred… some screenshots, in orange what you’d like to have in an error popup !! In English !!

2 Likes

What a great find.

But, I don’t understand your word:

ob·fus·cate

/ˈäbfəˌskāt/
verb*
past tense: obfuscated; past participle: obfuscated

1. render obscure, unclear, or unintelligible.

How does it?

Well, when I see a code like 09102af-9182-9928-8192992918 it is not very informative, is it ? It is “unintelligible”, it cannot be read by humans. Sorry, maybe I should have used the word “unintelligible” or “hidden”.

2 Likes

The very common c000005 error, but not so common it reporting ucrtbase.dll
To get a better idea of what is really happening, you would need to set your PC to save a Full Crash Dump, and then send that crash dump file to a program like WinDbg for a detailed crash analysis.
That will tell you the exact Instruction that cause the CTD, but trying to figure out where that instruction is, and in what part of the source code, and what the source code was doing, is not something a user is going to be able to do, running the production (non debug) version of the Sim.

That would not add much either, for support people. They don’t look into the source code… I’d like to read something like “ERROR: MSFS crashed on a ground level scenery object near coordinate xxxx:yyyy”

Greek to me also.

But, it does say that the Faulting Application is C: - - - - - → FlightSimulator.exe.

You have been playing with XP11 too much – and have got really spoilt !!! :wink:

1 Like

yes, well at least you know then it was probably not your Web Browser, visiting “unsafe” websites !! :skull_and_crossbones:

A 10 year old package like FSX or XPlane-11 has much better error messages. Why ? developers go into their 50’s and 60’s and get the time to make a systematic list of all relevant errors. At this stage, suppose there are so many different CTD codes, no one at Asobo has the time to document them all… I think that is the reason. Give them 2-3 years…

Again: crash reports from Reliability Monitor are valuable to developers… they know what these codes mean, so include them in the Zendesk report.

The information is there – nomatter what it is – its just really a question of coding to capture that information, and pass it out to some kind of Log file , or whatever.

Reliability Monitor shows the log file. The info is there, go Start menu, type Reliability monitor. You’ll see above report. That IS the info about the CTD… only issue is, we cannot read it…

Analogy :

You are trying to look at an Iceberg, but you are not even seeing the top 1/8 that is above water. All you are seeing there is a little snowflake on the Iceberg, that is telling you it is probably cold/frozen water ??

This is the top 1/8 you could possibly see

crash-report.txt.pln (8.5 KB)
(remove .pln and view in a text editor like Notepad)

Last line is the actual Instruction in the Code that cause the CTD !!
Trying to access memory that it is not allowed to access because of a Null Pointer

The remaining 7/8 are hidden, and only ASOBO, with their scuba equipment ( release version / source code etc) can see the details of that.

1 Like

Not to mention since Sim Update 5, no airplane lights appear on other vatsim planes making it impossible to spot other aircraft.

1 Like

That was from Over a week ago. Latest patch was last Friday.

I get that SU5 has allowed folks with more marginal systems to get a near playable experience and I was stunned to discover on another thread that there are people flying FS2020 with grx 7xx and even 6xx cards.

But one must not lose sight of the fact that when FS2020 was launched in 2020 your GTX 970 was already 6 years old. (And only just within the minimum requirements at launch)

As wonderful and sustainable as it is to design inclusive software systems that allow people to keep using decade old hardware rather than send it off to e-waste heaven is that really the role of a AAA title that was touted as pushing the boundaries of what could be achieved visually in gaming through the combination of satellite imagery, photogrammetry and AI?

1 Like

Well considering that very few people can get or afford a 30 series GPU, then yeah why not? If the product was restricted to those high end systems it would be a very small market indeed and probably not worth the return on investment.

See how Xbox comes about?