When to switch to APR Mode?

As a matter of IFR Best Practice, when should I be Switching to Autopilot APR Mode, given the following Scenarios:

1/ After Selecting/programming a Direct-To RNAV Approach, approx 30 miles from the destination. Once initially selected, I’m Flying in Nav Mode toward the IAF with VNAV Armed.

2/ Flying a fully defined IFR Plan with Arrival and Approaches set in the plan. Assume 30 miles or so to run before approach Transition.

3/ Same as 2/ But ATC Vectors you well away from the approach course to maintain separation then clears for “own navigation” back to the approach path but you will join at a Fix after IAF.

1 Like

I switch to APR when I turn into the final approach direction.

3 Likes

Yep, I do that too, today, but it does not work so well with Curved RNAV approaches such as the KSEA 16C RNAV z Approach with the Vashon IAF coming from the Hawkz arrival (180Deg right turn). I’m wondering what the IRL Practice is in such cases.

RNAV, depends on the Aircraft. It doesn’t work with all aircraft in the sim.

In the real world, APPR is pressed when ATC says “Cleared for the approach”. APPR is only going to intercept and follow the GS/GP to the ground, which is intercepted at or near the final approach fix. In MSFS, APPR would need to be pressed prior to that point. However, if doing an LPV approach, APPR and VNAV both have to be pressed but that is not modeled in the sim yet and that procedure can vary between avionics manufacturers.

1 Like

Thanks for the guidance. I was using the Kodiak with the G1000 NXi and AAU1 and you are right that LPV specifcally does not does not seem to be modelled yet (as you describe).

When Transitioning from NAV+VNAV Mode to Appr Mode and you have the GP captured, VNAV Turns off and the AP goes into GPS+GP mode which is really what I expected.

I will have to try out an LPV appr (if its available) to see what the NXi does.