Where are the boats?

I’ve enabled the max number of boats and yet I still don’t see any. Kinda strange flying over Nantucket harbor in the summer and not seeing a single boat. Am I doing something wrong?

1 Like

Nope, nothing wrong, it’s just pretty lackluster right now.

There’s a topic on the wish list subsection asking for this feature (small boats, piers and marinas)

For larger ships there’s the ‘Global AI Ship Traffic’ mod you can find for free on flightsim.to (it’s pretty large though, bit over 5GB once installed). But it adds a lot to the coasts.

2 Likes

Since the sim launched I have seen…

Two boats.

That is everywhere in the whole world with the setting turned right up.

There are some areas where they seem to have been placed manually like new York and San Francisco, but some sort of autogen is effectively non existent for me.

1 Like

My question also. Seems there is the global ship add on but I would encourage to open another Zendesk ticket. I’m trying to keep my addon’s to a minimum.

Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

Here is my take, so this may not be correct but, we all can understand how adding even one boat will take resources to draw that boat. Add enough boats, and our sims will all come crashing to a screeching halt. So where is that magic number of boats that makes both us and our PC’s happy? I think that Asobo has many options to make the sim run more efficient and that is what they are going to work on before doing a bunch of testing to see how many boats the sim can handle.

So I think we WILL see more boats, cars, trains, and airplanes, but not until they fix performance issues we all have been seeing.

Are you referring to moving boats or simple static objects? Honestly, I’d be quite happy with just static objects vrs barren harbors and waterways.

1 Like

Have you tried this?

4 Likes

Henriks mod is superb, highly recommended.

2 Likes

You beat me! I only ever saw one … a fishing boat off Cornwall UK. I almost fell out of my pilot’s chair in surprise.

1 Like

I spent about five minutes circling my sightings in total fascination.

Henrik’s mod only requires a setting of five (5) on each vessel type slider. Any more and you get duplicates of ships and routes.

Then you get literally the world’s real-schedule and ship types appropriate to wherever you are.

There is no other mod that does this for such a minimum system performance impact. None.

I’ve flown out of my home bases and made low passes over the ships in the area. These are accurate routes and ship types - ferries following the correct shipping lane that I’ve been on, RoRos I’ve watched come into the bay from my walks on the shoreline. Tankers I’ve seen from the highway delivering POL to the city storage tanks. He even has naval traffic - from frigates on Independent Steaming to whole task forces in world hotspots and training areas.

Henrik’s mod modestly lives up to “As real as it gets.”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.