Where are the thunder and lightning...?

The TS’s are trash in FS2020. When you do see the miracle of real time weather lightning, it propagates from thin cloud layers and looks nothing like a proper thunderstorm.
I’ve thrown in the towel and do not expect any improvement here for the rest of this sims life.
Onto FS2024 IF the weather engine is improved……if not I’ll just stick to 2020.
Looking forward to what the early adopters say about TS in 2024.

3 Likes

Same, and if the weather engine is really good at release i will check the forum if there is complains. If it is i bet the weather engine we have at release will be completely changed into something else. That has been the main issue for me.

3 Likes

same here, I will only jump on the 2024 if the weather has real improvements over this one, which still it’s not fair since there are recognized bugs here interfering with live weather, and who knows if they will ever be fixed…

5 Likes

An incomplete game being overshadowed by a newer version of the same game developed by the same company who were already stretched thin enough with one version and now have to concurrently support/develop two. The rest you can figure out. Unless they’re saving one big update that somehow fixes everything they have as bug/feedback logged I don’t see anything drastically changing.

Fortunately my real life is picking up and starting to get busier so I won’t have time to fuss and worry about this stuff.

2 Likes

These are three apps Asobo really needs partner with that would greatly improve live weather quality

1. Radar Omega

2. Windy

3. my lightning tracker app

2 Likes

All well and good but as long as they are partnered with MB they can’t really do much. MB offers that data and information but MS is choosing to not utilize it correctly or efficiently. MB has said they can and would give MS all the data they could ever want. It’s up to them how they want to use it. It’s by no fault of MB but of how MS is using the data. Falls on them to get it sorted out.

2 Likes

This is a reminder that this thread is meant to serve as a bug topic, not a discussion topic. If you are experiencing this issue, please feel free to report your findings using the following template. Outside of this, please use an existing or new topic in the appropriate #gd-commsupport sub-category to discuss this bug. All other posts will be removed.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

currently over denmark… no lighting at all

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Echtzeit Blitzkarte :: LightningMaps.org

Can you provide dev feedback please… if you dont have feedback right now; go and ask.

1 Like

And no need to say, this weather front with thunderstorms over Danmark was perfectly forecasted in the MB models.

7 Likes

It’s back! Finally. I’m in Charlotte now. Just flew in from MSP. Looks spectacular.

Yea, i saw the most spectacular thunderstorm in Houston yesterday. Was in Vr, flashes hitting the ground all over the place, and the sound… Just magic.

I’m a hundred or so miles west of Nashville at 41K. I should see some action soon. I hope earlier wasn’t a fluke…

Heading to DEN for the VATSIM event and looks like plenty there too. We’ll see.
KDEN 072339Z 06014G26KT 10SM VCTS SCT050CB BKN070 BKN120 21/12 A3009 RMK AO2 PK WND 06026/2331 LTG DSNT NW OCNL LTGICCC VC W TS VC W MOV E

Fun event into DEN. Busy, busy, busy. No lightning though. Plenty of rain shafts although the METAR on arrival did say it was dissipating. But nonetheless. Did get a great shot down the line of 35R waiting for ramp sequence.

Lightning at TFFJ this evening, 22:49 my time.

4 Likes

Massive line of TS in the area of EDDL. Found some cloud looking like a buildup in the area circled red, but coming nearer it appeared to be an area of low visibilty, like rain depiction, although I didn’t get any raindrops on the windshield. Virgae instead of heavy rain and hail.
No lightning or thunder.

Storm depiction is certainly an area for the devs to look into for the “new” simulator, although thinking back before SU7 the “old” one was very capable of depicting them, albeit not in the right place.

9 Likes

Lots of activity around KBFM right now…

My impression is that thunder through and visible as code in METAR is not processed in MSFS to show as actual thunder, at least not in Europe.

1 Like

so rare lightning and thunder are in the area of Berlin so hard to experience are lightning and thunder worldwide in msfs …

Some minutes ago at EDDB

METAR EDDB 291150Z AUTO 26007KT 9999 SHRA VCTS BKN035 FEW///CB 21/19 Q1006 RETS TEMPO 27015G25KT TSRA

4 Likes

I saw a ton off the coast of south FL yesterday. I’m flying to MCO now in the 788 and should pass some sizable storms coming in. Let’s see what we get…