Where are the thunder and lightning...?

No action tonight. No light show in the sky.

3 Likes

Should have been a ton of lightning around. So disappointed in how they implemented TS activity in FS2020.

4 Likes

The thunderstorm depiction used to be a lot better back when the sim first came out. Now since the METAR movement the thunderstorm depiction is horrendous. It’s about as unrealistic as you can possibly get. I really enjoy lightning in clear air or with cloulds that look like whispy little puffs that are 2000 feet in vertical development. Super realistic. Really makes the sim live weather environment shine!

4 Likes

I don’t even think distant lightning is modeled at all in the sim. You should be able to see clouds lighting up at night from hundreds of miles away in the distance.
But what you get is an on/off effect with clouds in your immediate vicinity.
That is a 2 fold effect. you can’t see where there is active TS activity and fly towards it or avoid it……just happens and disappears.
At least that has been my experience, TS’s happening at all has been extremely rare and I fly in the SC to Florida corridors often. Gulf Stream should have TS activity nearly every day just off the coast.

This is a reminder that this thread is meant to serve as a bug topic, not a discussion topic. If you are experiencing this issue, please feel free to report your findings using the following template. Outside of this, please use an existing or new topic in the appropriate #gd-commsupport sub-category to discuss this bug. All other posts will be removed.

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

1 Like

A message from the QA Team received:

When reporting this bug/issue, please include the following:

1. Location
  2. Day and Time (UTC or Zulu)
  3. or any info that will allow them to reproduce the issue

Thank you!

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused here, as we are reporting “Live” Weather missing thunder and lightning. How would they be able to “reproduce” an event that didn’t happen in real time?
And why would that be necessary in the first place?
I am happy to help, but here’s what I do: I look for real world Thunderstorms happening - preferrably on the Meteoblue website -, spawn in the vicinity and look out for lightning - which mostly isn’t happening.
Instead of me then posting day, time and other information - why don’t these Q&A guys do it themselves?

11 Likes

They can go back to what live wx was reported (as well as METAR) for that location based on date/time to inject and try to reproduce.

Reporting the location, date & time, will assist in them recreating the live wx. When reporting time, please do so in UTC or Zulu. :+1:

2 Likes

I understand, so i guess they want to rule out network or server issues because they could otherwise have unlimited numbers of samples taking the approach i described.
So back to reporting it is…

2 Likes

Looks like there’s some lightning going on in the vicinity of Maribor (LJMB).

Spawned there around 1605Z today, August 1. The only noticeable flashes were from the strobes of the Kodiak from 1605Z until approx. 1610Z, despite LJMB having TSRA in the METAR.

Later the METAR at LJMB changed to +TSRA, so spawned again there: no lightning from 1625Z to 1630Z.

Between 1610Z and 1625Z I flew in the area and saw some accumulated cumulus clouds reaching up to higher altitudes in an attempt to render CB’s (all that MSFS can do after SU7), but no lightning in the area as well.

9 Likes

Yesterday I was at approach to KATL, METAR was +TSRA and what a surpise, I saw one lighting.

Why is it impossible to see those clouds in the sim?
Here they are well represented, but in the live sim, I’ve never found them.
And I’m not even talking about the cirrus clouds, which are completely absent.

10 Likes

Can you share the weather config you used to create that image?

This is the original MSFS splash screen :blush:

3 Likes

pre-SU7 image without be my bet.

On topic there’s a huge storm around Kansas City right now, I see clouds and rain in Sim but zero lightning…

3 Likes

So not current then. I wish those posting images would add attribution to them.

1 Like

Asobo have announced storms will be improved in MSFS 2024. MSFS 2020 Weather will not get any more updates.

What we have now will stay as it is.

1 Like

Do you have a link to where the developers say about 2020 not getting any more updates? Would be interested to read/hear that as that goes against what we bought into.

1 Like

Well, it’s only my expectations. I correct my self. I expect no more updates of weather in MSFS 2020 because they are now focusing on MSFS 2024. All the time when we have been here asking them to fix the current sim weather to be at least equally good as it were before su7 they have been focusing improving MSFS 2024 :wink: Feels like that.

14 Likes

No way Asobo will update weather again, nothing in SU13 beta about weather/live weather updates, its a lost cause now unfortunately I agree with Perrry

4 Likes