Where are the thunder and lightning...?

You are lucky I have not seen a storm or lightning for months.Just checked on lightning map and started flight in Behamas and not even a storm how disappointing.

1 Like

The only lightning I have seen in something like six months was inside my cockpit when I was flying at high altitude. :joy:

A brilliant flash would appear over my instruments, so I assume it was a storm below me somewhere. I never heard anything though. From my limited view of them, and videos I have seen online, it looks like they tweaked them so that they don’t fork horizontally any more, and just go straight up, and down.

1 Like

They still fork horizontally, though its definitely more rare.

1 Like

Too bad the sim’s weather system still can’t forecast/inject local storms/Cb clouds.

Satellite’s look (c) 2007-2019 ČHMÚ & EUMETSAT, borders: (c) ArcČR, ARCDATA PRAHA, ZÚ, ČSÚ, 2016.:

cebaky

Volanta’s “weather radar” look:

And how it looks in the sim:

I saw some lightning with live weather a few days ago flying from Miami to Nassau. Of course it occurred with only a few small scattered puffy clouds around. No thunderstorm cells anywhere to bee seen. Oh yeah, and the lightning was inside the cockpit as well.

4 Likes

SU10 BETA provides very beautiful weather rendition. At visual meaning at least.

Real live weather is definitely off:

EDDS Metar:
METAR EDDS 201850Z AUTO VRB04KT 6000 TSRA FEW007 BKN///CB 20/18 Q1021 TEMPO 30020G30KT

EDDS in Meteoblue Map

EDDS in the Sim:

2 Likes

Is this the beta?

No, I’m not using SU10. Perhaps someone with the beta can check if this has been improved.

I am on the beta and it works a lot better. But i haven’t tested storms yet. Weather fronts are usually very accurate. Eccept thst some cumulus clouds are overdone sometimes

I’ve never seen a hurricane with no lightning…we went from too much to none at all.

1 Like

This would be nice to see cloud to ground or cloud to cloud strikes occurring within the cloud formation itself but maybe this is wishing for too much.

8 Likes

I would like to see at some point in-sim, such exact visual crispness and accuracy representation of thunder lightning

1 Like

I bet Une billion dollars that you didn’t encounter any turbulence/shaking/updrafts/downdrafts when going below or inside those clouds…

1 Like

I also would like turbulence/shaking inside thunderstorms and cumulus clouds!!!

3 Likes

I had thunder, and lightning just now, but it wasn’t how it should be depicted. I had just flown in from the East to 46U, Alpine, WY. As I flew along the valley East of it, I noticed some lighting flashes inside the cockpit. I had seen this phenomena before. I could also see them outside, so after I landed, I used the external camera to shoot some footage, and capture what I was seeing.

I am off to Orlando in a couple of weeks so set up the Cessna at MCO and flew a recce. The area was littered with thunderstorms, exactly as real time. The clouds themselves are rendered beautifully, even to the extent where the distant ones have a blueish tint. They have done a brilliant job. But I have not seen any lightning in months now. It would be great to see cell-specific lightning (rather than the generic all round lightning we had before). Nothing better than approaching a line of Midwest storms at dusk and seeing the whole line light up. I am sure they will put this right in due course.

i find that very long time ago but every time forget to mention. start the topic and was saying i’m making same topic:) so i’m here… i flew much in storm or close to storm weather, but no hear any thunder and ne saw any lightning… and now i see only 89 with mine votes… this is… what is this?

4 Likes

I remember in earlier builds the lightning was way too excessive, but it seems like they’ve taken it out altogether in recent updates. Is anyone still getting lightning with live weather turned on?

2 Likes

lightning i saw on youtube. probably they only at custom heavy weather. but no thunders…