Where are VOR frequencies in fight plan?

I’m looking for the VOR frequencies in the world map when planning a flight but can’t find them. When in nav log frequencies show as 0.00 and the only other frequencies are for radio comma. Any ideas? Need then for Cessna 152 navigation!

2 Likes

On the world map select Open Filters, scroll down and Navaids -> ON.

I can find the nav aids, but I can’t find the frequencies that go with them.

Pukigonzales is correct. After you click Filters and enable NAVAIDS, click on the NAVAID you want a frequency for and it will open a window to the right.

1 Like

The window doesn’t show frequencies only longitude and latitude as some other info but not a frequency

Are you sure your not selecting a WAYPOINT as opposed to a VOR or NDB? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah you could be right! Foolish of me. I did manage to find a frequency but now I’m having issues picking it up in the Cessna 152. I’ve punched the frequency into the nav radio and activated it but the vertical line never moves even as I approach the nav beacon nor if I turn the OBS knob. Any ideas why?

The NAV radios work on the 152. Some possible reasons:

1. You entered the wrong frequency;
  2. You didn’t swap your desired freq to “active freq”;
  3. You entered your freq in NAV1 and are monitoring the NAV2 dial, or vice-versa;
  4. You are monitoring the ADF repeater and not he VOR(s)
    Please do not regard any of these as an attack on your intelligence; I have done all 4. :slight_smile:
5 Likes

Thanks. When you say monitoring the ADF repeater do you mean I’ve put the wrong frequency in the nav radio ie not a VOR? Sorry as you can see I am new to this!

Also, do you know how far is the plane from the radial selected by the OBS? if it is more than 10 degrees, it would take some time before you see the aligner move to center. Also, make sure the AP NAV catch the frequency, if you’re far away from the VOR it might take some time until you approach the tune distance.

As mentioned by @Nazarene455 these are just ideas that have happened to me. Only sharing some thoughts… hope you can resolve the issue.

1 Like

The ADF repeater is on the far right of the instrument panel and has it’s own tuner right below it. ADF does not use NAV1 or NAV2 radio for frequency selection.
The VOR dials are arranged one atop the other with NAV1 being at the top. You must enter the correct freq into the NAV1 radio to use the NAV1 VOR dial. Same with NAV 2. Each radio has it’s own instrument. I hope this helps.

Thanks no I’m definitely not using the ADF and I have followed all the correct steps in your list. I even flew right over the VOR( I knew where it was) and the vertical line always stayed on the far left, never moved.

I’m afraid you’ve got me on that one. If you overflew the VOR you should have seen some aberration on the instrument. No matter what radial you are on, spinning the OBS dial should ultimately “sync” the needle. Based on what you have shared, I’m rather stumped at this point. Have you tried with BOTH VORS?

Thanks for your help, so I am I! Something did happen come to think of it, both lines centred and the double arrow appeared (I think the ‘from’ symbol). But no movement up to that point irrespective of where I pointed the aircraft or span the OBS knob.

Yes tried both of them. My understanding is wherever you are if you spin the OBS it will align the vertical line and give you the correct heading, as long as you are close enough right? Just out of interest. When you first activate the NAV, does the instrument automatically give you the correct heading or do you need to know the course at flight planning stage, or spin the OBS to give you heading?

What ApeJim said has already happened to me.
The explanation was that the map presumably showed a bad / non-existent VOR frequency.
I was there over the VOR and the pointer did not move.
I checked the Skyvector and the VOR was not on it.

1 Like

Interesting, I’ll try another one and see if it works

By the way, here is an instructional video that I think is understandable and useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCCk2ch-xL4&t=

Ey! thanks for the clarification, It was useful for me too.

It is sad we have to clarify we are not been aggressive. I found myself having to sign every reply with a text “Insert friendly tone here”, people receive my replies better and they reply a lot better too, more open to different POVs. It feels bad, but that is how it is.

1 Like

Thanks for all your help, very useful!

1 Like

Ape Jim, in regards to your last question, VOR readings are independent from aircraft heading. No matter what course you are flying, the VOR will read the same, all else being equal. This throws alot of people. When you turn the OBS until the arrow aligns, the heading at the top of the instrument shows you what RADIAL you are on, not NECESSARILY the course you need to fly to get to the VOR. That’s where “from” and “to” flags come into play-
Download a free “VOR online simulator” (I don’t have a link handy) and then play around with it. VOR use isn’t necessarily intuitive, and you need to cement the concept in your mind until you are proficent.

1 Like