Where is legacy control mode?

I am trying to use the flybywire a320.

The autopilot buttons require push/pull to activate functions. When I hover my mouse pointer over them I don’t get a push pull option so I can’t activate the right autopilot modes.

I have read that I need to enable legacy control mode but I can’t find the setting, can anyone help please?

general options\accessibility\cockpit interaction system

2 Likes

You can push and pull knobs in Lock mode as well.

Just less intuitive and more annoying to use for mouse users. :rofl:

1 Like

I’m a mouse user and I love Lock mode. You’re totally wrong

NeoKing is not wrong–that is his opinion.

Okay, correct me if I’m wrong on the comparison:

Lock Mode:

• Highlight a knob
  • Hold LMB to lock to that control. Now your mouse will not affect any other controls or other mouse bindings
  • Move the mouse left to turn the knob left, move it right to turn the knob right (with LMB held down)
  • Alternatively, use the scroll wheel while holding LMB down to turn the knob left or right
  • To push a control in, lock to the control using LMB and then right click

Legacy Mode:

• Point to a knob
  • Use scroll wheel down or up to rotate the knob clockwise and counter-clockwise respectively
  • Click above it to push the knob. Click under it to pull the knob.

If you love overengineered things over a simple point and click process. I actually admired your patience and your drive to challenge yourself to the limit.

4 Likes

Thanks I’ll see if I can find it.

My mouse has a couple extra buttons on the side. Is it possible to map these to push pull?

Preferences are never wrong. It’s just a matter of taste. :smile:

1 Like

Nope :wink:

Yes

How to PUSH and PULL if LOCK mode selected.

Go to options > controls options > mouse
Select default profile > apply & save.

Click preset manager > duplicate > ok > apply & save

Click preset manager > reset to defaults > continue.

Click go back > apply and save.

In air > Press and hold Left Click Button and press Mouse 5 = PULL

In air > Press and hold Left Click Button and press Mouse 4 = PUSH

Source https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/trouble-with-engage-managed-altitude-mode-airbus/467424/3?u=tenpatrol

From the FBW documentation:

“We recommend the legacy (previous) method of the Cockpit Interaction System (Menu > General Options > Accessibility).”

He’s not stating it as his preference. He’s stating it as a fact. And rather mockingly too.

He’s saying that ALL mouse users find Lock mode annoying. That is demonstrably wrong.

@DismayingBroom1 His “opinion” is referencing me. And it’s wrong (I.e. factually incorrect)

If he said he just didn’t like Lock mode, of course I would support it.

1 Like

Love this forum. Thread was done after two posts but everyone needs to argue about something because… I don’t know… :rofl:

I didn’t say “all” mouse users, I just said “for mouse users”. Isn’t it the reason why this thread existed in the first place? OP wanted to know how to get out of the Lock mode and change back to Legacy mode. Which suggest that OP doesn’t like Lock mode.

This isn’t the first thread about this topic. There have been a number of threads about people disliking the Lock mode when they are mouse users and wanted to know how to go back to the way it was.

Lock mode was introduced to make it more usable for Xbox players since most of them would be using xbox controllers. But Asobo made it the default option for everyone. And it throw away a lot of people the first time it was introduced.

Even the Release Notes for that Sim Update details how they introduced the control modes and how to switch between them. Most people who have read it would know how to change them immediately. Those who don’t usually post a thread and a lot of us contribute to the discussion by linking it to the release notes with the guide on how to change it back.

I’m just looking at a trend here. The “trend” here is that mouse users tend to switch to Legacy mode, hence the number of threads being raised on how to change it back. That suggest that there must be a reason why they wanted to move away from Lock mode. That doesn’t mean that everyone finds it annoying as you point out that you love lock mode as a mouse user. I’m just saying that statistically speaking, you’re not part of the common trend on what most people think about it.

2 Likes

A reminder to keep this topic on-topic. If you want to continue participating, avoid posts aimed at other users and focus solely on the discussion.

From the Code of Conduct - SOP:

• The Skies are Open for All - Everyone is welcome to Microsoft Flight Simulator regardless of age, gender, race, sexuality, or creed.
  • One World, One Community - No matter how you play – regardless of platform, experience level, or reason – we are one community of aviation lovers.
  • Follow Your Checklist - Adhere to the set of rules from each community space. Skipping a checklist item can ground a flight quickly.
  • A Pilot is a Pilot - Treat everyone in the community with respect, and seek to have positive experiences with your fellow pilots.
  • A Pilot is a Pilot - Treat everyone in the community with respect, and seek to have positive experiences with your fellow pilots.