Where is the game icon located?

Ref:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/start-msfs2020-through-a-script/295001
(How to start MSFS via a script.)

The method suggested there works flawlessly and I can start MSFS with a script via a shortcut on the desktop.  (I do this to display a “startup checklist” to ensure my controllers are set up properly, check the connectors for firm mating, jiggle the axes to reduce noise, etc. . .)

However!

Instead of a generic “batch file” icon, I would like to use the MSFS blue icon that the installed “shortcut” uses, but I cannot find it.

Does anyone know where/within what file the icon is located?

Thanks!

For the MS Store version, you’ll need to create your own or download one. (ICO file).

I have one for a “fast launch” where I downloaded the FS logo and overlaid “FAST” on it:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/where-is-the-exe-located/297357/11

1 Like

Download

Logo

Change a file extension from .png to .ico
Save changes

4 Likes

Changing from .png to .ico does nothing.  exporting it as a jpg and changing it to .ico does nothing.

The result, (in Windows 10) is a file that looks like a blank sheet of paper and when selected the error:
the file [X] contains no icons.

What next?

This is the PNG I used and converted to ICO:

I use an online converter:
https://cloudconvert.com/png-to-ico

msfs-logo-transparent

The above converted to an ICO:
msfs-logo-transparent
(You will need to change the extension on this from PNG to ICO if you download this image as I had to rename to a PNG to upload to the forum)

2 Likes

Go to Start, All Apps, Scroll Down to Microsoft Flight Simulator, Right Click, Select More, Click Pin to task Bar…
There, your beautiful MSFS Icon is there for you on the task bar.

1 Like

He has a custom “location” for a target running a script. Doing what you suggest will work but it’ll be it’s default target.

1 Like

My MSFS runs from a custom location too… C:/MSFS
Why not put the script in the same custom location of the MSFS ?

1 Like

Yes. :slight_smile:
What we are talking about here is changing the default icon not the location where MSFS is installed.

1 Like

Got it… thanks

2 Likes

How to convert PNG to ICO - google

1 Like

It would be so much easier if the existing one was not greyed out and you could edit it. All I wanted was to add fast launch.

1 Like

You must first create the fastlaunch link on your desktop/taskbar etc. and then change the icon on it and not the original exe.

2 Likes

Yeah I know that I done it a while back. It just would of been easier if I could of edited the existing one was my point.

1 Like

Possibly unrelated:

I took the large icon png (with the black background) and edited it to have the dark blue background that the original icon has.

I then converted it to a 64 x 64 icon. (Still blue background)

I then assigned it to the batch file shortcut, and Volia’!  It has a black background.

Anyone know why?  Anyone know how to prevent this from happening?

Transparency I’d say … create a blue layer, lower it and flatten image in Gimp before exporting as an ico

Microsoft Flight Simulator 004 512 x 512 PNG
Microsoft Flight Simulator 002 512 x 512 PNG
Microsoft Flight Simulator 003 512 x 512 PNG
Microsoft Flight Simulator 001 512 x 512 PNG