Where is the MSFS version number stored? (SimConnect/XML/CFG)(1.13.16.0)

I cannot find out where the MSFS’s version number is stored at, or in. SimConnect Vars, XML, CFG?

I am not seeing it in the SDK help document. I am looking for 1.13.16.0 if I am not making myself clear.

Temporarily switch to windowed mode. Upper left corner. I used to run it that way and saw it all the time.

Sorry, WardoMon52, but I am looking for it “Programmatically” speaking. I understand how to read it via the window alt+tab key combination.

A program I have written needs to see if the “Microsoft Flight Simulator - 1.13.16.0” window has done a CTD.

Thanks for the quick reply, though!

1 Like

If you are using SimConnect you’ll get the version of SimConnect/the API.

But you can’t get the “game version” from the SimConnect.

SimConnect itself hasn’t updated since around July.

Probably better to look at running exes. taskmanager reports it as Microsoft Flight Simulator without the version number. So you might be able to look at running exe’s instead of windows that exist.

Either that of fuzzy match/look at runnign windows then you won’t have to fix your code if/when MSFS CTD’s

I think I already tried (will try again) looking for the MFS window, but came back False before.

The actual window being used is the MFS - 1.13.16.0 window and that comes back as True when I do a FindWindow() on the complete name with version. I will test it again for just the MFS window for True. I will report back my findings. :slight_smile:

Thanks, Barry!

Unless the API is changed the SimConnect.dll client library doesn‘t have to be changed: it simply sends and receives data from the server (e.g. FS 2020).

And FS 2020 implements slowly more and more of the APIs.

As for the question: SimConnect_Open

„ A client can optionally examine the SIMCOMMENT_RECV_OPEN structure that is returned after a call to SimConnect_Open. This structure gives versioning and build information that should be useful when multiple versions of SimConnect and multiple versions of Microsoft Flight Simulator that support it, are available.“

I have not tested this myself yet, but looks like that provides the version number of FS 2020.

1 Like

Ah, this is what I get for looking at my library docs, which only returns the ApplicationName (kittyhawk) and the simconnect version. Time to fix my library to output the Sim Version a quick fix attempted returned 11.0.282174.999 which is clearly wrong.

Edit: So I’m thinking bugged? As Simvars outputs the same in my test

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to us on this info, Guys. I have not looked at that data yet, either.

If it isn’t working now it will be done, soon, I’m sure. DEV’s need to know what version of MSFS is running so we can do select statements against the version number(s).

Thanks!

Totally agree. However, it should be impossible under the world of this “always online” MSFS to run an out of date version me thinks. So it ought to be “safe” to assume everyone has latest version of the App. But stranger things have happened.

Not sure if anyone is still looking for an answer.
I have found the easiest way to determine the current MSFS Version number is to look at the following file (ensuring not to change it in any way):
C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\LocalProfile

Amongst all the special characters, you’ll see the version number (e.g. current version 1.19.9.0).

1 Like

It is noteworthy to mention that this would only work for the MS Store variant, but not with the Steam variant. Let alone the XBox version :wink:

Thanks for that. Good to know. :+1: