Where is the turbulence?

I’ve seen them in very cloudy areas, but its possible I had passed over an island below me.

I had a lot a few hours ago departing from Calgary.

Have you tried flying using the STORM weather preset? Also, the choice of aircraft makes a difference in feeling turbulence. Airliners are designed to smooth out turbulence as much as possible to give passengers a pleasant ride. Also, airliners are heavier making them react slower to turbulence. Try flying a light GA aircraft like the C152 in anything but calm skies especially with no AP to keep the plane level.

I think there’s an issue with the missing wind gusts which can affect turbulent effects.

The whole simulation of weather is to have some chaotic behavior, It seems that in the simulator we don’t have the spontaneous white noise in the air movement, we do have sometimes some bump or two, but in real flying even in a clear day, we have at least every 30-10 seconds a bump, and rough movment. Up, or down, sideways, and if the pilot doesn’t correct, it causes the aircraft to drift. Even when mountains are not in the area. So the weather engine should have much more spontaneous rough movements.

Please Add it. It should cause all aircraft to have some serious hard work from the pilots.

I was flying through the storms over Florida yesterday evening. The storms petered out as I headed South, but it was very stormy shortly after takeoff. When I got to 8000ft, and was trimmed out, there was next to no buffeting at all.

Only 29 voted, well that makes me very worried!
We should reach much more than that because turbulence, convective winds in CB/TS, thermals, updraft/downdraft, gust wind, I mean the weather and the danger included into it, all of this is the corner stone of a flight sim (Flight model/Air dynamic that impact the envelope of the airplane, speed, attitude (not altitude hh) etc) all of this should have been already simulated if we call MFS2020 a flight simulator at least?! Isn’t it?

I fly MFS2020 once a week no more than 30 min, the rest of the time is spent on Xplane/Active Sky where it’s impossible to fly GA birds under the base of CB because of severe turbulence that are simulated even if it still needs some work but it works! … exactly as I didn’t use to fly a C172 in those severe weather conditions in RL for the sake of safety as we all learn in PPL sessions.

MFS2020 is totally unrealistic in those terms, you don’t even need to care about the weather conditions of the day METAR/TAF while you create your flight plan GA VFR or Tubes IFR, it doesn’t matter if it’s CAVOK or Overcast you ready to go and to fly, is that realistic? Absolutely not!
Indeed MFS2020 allows you to fly a C152 right into a thunderstrom in order to let you make beautiful screenshots, I can’t call MFS2020 a Flight Simulator so far as a matter of fact, on the contrary after more than one year from the release date MFS2020 looks like a beautiful Scene Simulator, and it will remain this way until the devs takes care about realism. Hopefully!

A Sim Update should be focus on Flight Model/Physics, aerodynamics/Weather which is definitely not the case except for only one SU months ago, that’s it! That makes me also worried that the devs works only on Perf issues, CTD but what about the realism of this “game”?

There’s a thread that concerns our issue, our wish, votes are raising up by the way, hopefully Asobo will get a note about it, because flying through CB without feeling the Air Mass Movement and Turb associated to severe conditions data is just flying in Arcade Game Mode, period.

Take a look:

Guys. Go and vote on that thermal thread. It has already over 300 or so votes. And see if both OPs agree, if you can merge and combine the votes.

Yeah, it would be great to merge all the turbulence/termal related threads.

as the other guys already said, this is the place to be and to vote for:
Thermals, Up & Downdrafts - Realism Update

All the non existent turbulence behaviour comes down to the up & down draft limitations, which were set by Asobo because people couldn’t handle the realism (you find all the important interviews in the second post of the thread).

That’s why it’s not a bug, so leave a vote in the in the thermals thread, we have almost 400, and it’s already in the weekly top 50, any vote helps to push the topic more into development focus :+1:

Yes and if this OP agrees we are at 427 :wink:

I have also no turbulances at landing. There is crosswind 30 Knots, but no turbulances. It was at alpha Phase not so. I had really a lot of turbulances. It doesnt make fun anymore.

I re-installed MFS20 since the last patch because I couldn’t handle to fly in arcade mode anymore despite CB/TS/TCU etc without any danger, any turbulence or barely like flying a C152 into a thunderstrom which is absolutely unrealist and even scandalous for what we call a Flight Simulator which even don’t dare to simulate the minimum required concerning the most important above eye-candy and visual stuff which is the Live Weather and the danger that should push us to avoid to fly a PA28 in CB! (like in Xplane)

But after months away from mfs by getting back to Xplane, I decided to give an other try to mfs2020 and I was positively surprised that some turb were back especially in CB where my birds got hit even very badly many times… even in approach but it was due to relief alterities + strong wind based on the METAR that day.

Well, the last four days of flying in bad live weather conditions in France to Norway gave me some challenges because of the accuracy of the METAR mixed with a part of “better” turbulence according to.

I’m still digging … Of course unfortunatelly it’s still missing convective winds, thermals, windshear in Live Weather, CAT and some turb in approach because of bad weather conditions read in the METAR and some ground effects that still need to work on it…

Hopefully all of this will be implemented in next updates in order to add realism… Maybe it’s on the good way, Wait & See… :wink:

Hi

I love the weather engine of FS2020 but I think there is lack of turbulence and windshare at:
Below and inside CBs, TCUs clouds
When surface winds > 10-15 KTS
Hot days, when temperature > 30C

I thing all those turbulence should be increased or at least let us to chose how much turbulence affect the aircraft 0-100 :slight_smile:

I second that 100%!!!

On Tuesday I flew for real into Stansted with the wind a blustery 27 knots. I watched closely how much the plane rocked about etc.

Today on the sim I flew the FBW A320 into Liverpool with a very similar wind and direction. The turbulence was minimal and as much as I like this sim I have to say hugely dissapointing! It needs to be massively ramped up for situations like this. And if people complain it makes it too hard then give the option to turn it off or down etc.

I hope this will be addressed soon as it’s central to providing a realistic experience.

If the wind is at a constant 27 knots, then there’s no turbulence because it’s a steady laminar flow of air. You need wind gusts coming from different direction that speeds up and slows down the wind speed irregularly that’s giving you a mix of turbulent air.

Try with a custom weather, and add wind gusts from different direction with the same speed with frequent interval. You should feel the turbulence. I’ve had a recording of a turbulent approach to HK last year, it was near impossible to approach because the wings rock back and forth so violently. But sadly, I already deleted that video.

BE CAREFUL what we ask for! All of the sudden without announce or testing, in a future update we’ll be faced with horrible uncontrollable and unrealistic bouncing all around… then everyone will complain about too much turbulence!

Let’s just get it to and KEEP IT real! I really don’t think it’s far from that now. Turbulence does exist, perhaps some of the models are not quite working yet but some models are? Only Asobo would know, and they obviously do not want to share much about their weather system with us.

The lack of proper turbulence, especially in-cloud, is also bothering me a lot. It is pretty immersion breaking.

I am not a pilot but a tiny bit of a nervous flyer and whenever I embark on a trip I keep checking the sky because I know that when there is thick cloud coverage and a bit of wind I am most likely going to get tossed around when the plane climbs or descends through clouds (I know it is not dangerous, but that’s another discussion).

I took the A32X for a few spins recently across SE Asia, lot’s of cumulus and cumulonimbus clouds above Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, but even when I fly the plane right into a towering cluster, there is zero cockpit movement. It’s almost as if the plane isn’t aware of the fact that it is in the middle of a convection zone. There was a noticeable bit of movement from FL 250 and above, though, but it was very subtle.

The same problem with vanilla XP, by the way. In my experience you need all kinds of add-ons (like XPRealistic) to get a bit closer to what you normally have in RL and then it is still not entirely there. It’s mind-boggling that Infinite Flight, a game for the iPhone/iPad, gets turbulence more convincing (through a simple slider that lets you define the magnitude) than a flight simulator, that keeps lauding itself for the wonderful flight model it offers.

I know, the purists will cringe, because such sliders create “fake” turbulence and not the one that is actually created by the local weather. But I honestly don’t care, because everything is better than this motionless gliding. EZDOK did a great job back in the day to raise the immersion level. Hope someone will soon come up with something similar.