Where to fly in Germany/Austria/Switzerland (with .PLN files)

Now that we have updated scenery for Germany, Austria and Switzerland, I’d love some suggestions for scenic flight routes to take that show off interesting places in those countries that I am not familiar with.

My preference is to fly VFR in single engine propeller aircraft, low and slow enjoying the views. Please leave any suggested routes here!

2 Likes

do a low level pass of Wuppertal and follow the Schwebebahn!

1 Like

Very recently, I have started flying the steam gauges cessna 152 and it is amazing how nice it is to fly VFR in the countryside !

2 Likes
  1. Head south towards Neuschwanstein castle
  2. Fly north up the Rhine River
1 Like

Use a flight planner pick a starting point eg Vienna, then just plan a flight of x duration to a destination. Look out the window as you fly and see what you discover, next flight start at previous destination, for x duration and look out your window and see what you discover.
This is what I do, cross country flying, have seen some great scenery and places. Started in England flew across Europe and have now ended up in Lybia, gona keep going west and fly across to Gibraltar. Then who knows where.

3 Likes

or use floats and land at one of the little towns along the Rhine

1 Like

Start at Jesenwang EDMJ (freeware scenery available at flightsim.to) and make a scenic trip around the lakes and to Neuschwanstein.

I did that exact same trip in real life when I was a child.

2 Likes

Take off in Friedrichshafen, head SW towards Constance, follow the South shore of Lake Constance eastward past Altenrhein towards Bregenz and Lindau. Then fly along the North foothills of the Alps towards Füssen and Neuschwanstein, past Reutte (freeware by Troglodytus), onwards past Zugspitze to Garmisch Partenkirchen. Cross over to Innsbruck. Follow the Inn River to Kufstein. Climb SE and fly over Watzmann and land in Salzburg.

2 Likes

Thank you ever so much for this detailed suggested route @Archer374. I plotted the flight in two stages in LittleNavMap and have created flight plan files for anyone else wishing to follow your directions:

Friedrichshafen (EDNY) to Hoefen (LOIR).pln (4.3 KB)

Hoefen (LOIR) to Salzburg (LOWS).pln (7.1 KB)

I’ll post screenshots here after completing the flights in due course! :de: :austria:

3 Likes

Part 1: Friedrichshafen to Reutte via Lake Constance and Füssen. Thanks once again to @Archer374 for the brilliant freeware recommendation.

Download .PLN: https://worldtour.flights/flightplans/368

2 Likes

Part 2: Departing from Reutte, heading past Zugspitze and along the Inntal valley and Austrian German border towards Berchtesgaden National Park. Here you can circle the peaks of Watzmann and Hochkalter before descending to land at Salzburg.

The landscape along the whole flight plan is absolutely stunning, and I see why Jorg Newman was so excited in his interviews about the Alpine terrain data they were able to incorporate into this release. I recommend flying during late afternoon for the ambient lighting to highlight the surrounding topography.

Download .PLN: https://worldtour.flights/flightplans/369

2 Likes

Too bad that the horrible textures at e.g. LOXZ are still there.
This makes the improved terrain data useless for me.

Thanks for suggesting the Rhine River @Patirish2 and @TRANSAIR4045. I created a flightplan based off a cruise my parents did a few years ago, following the Rhine Gorge low level from Koblenz to Bingen. :de:

Download .PLN: https://worldtour.flights/flightplans/374

1 Like

Thanks again for the suggestion @TRANSAIR4045. Wuppertal was my next flight and looks great with the photogrammetry from an open cockpit! (Route was EDYG to EDJD)

1 Like

excellent ZKDOS. (KIWI?)
glad you liked it. The Schwebebahn is fascinating to go on if you’re there in the future…well into the future!!

1 Like

Forgive my butting in, but I myself came through this way [my first test flight post WU6] recently.
Sadly it was very overcast, the middle of the night and… oh yes, I was at 16000ft.
However, after examining your splendid screens, I think I will, as has been said, be back.
Loving your work.

regards.

1 Like

yes…def need to get down to <1000 ft for this one

1 Like

what’s the aircraft please?

It’s the Careando YMF5 Waco: WYMF5 MSFS2020 – Carenado

Payware from the MSFS marketplace. The DC Designs Stearman would be another good option!

of course…thanks so much…some conjecture among others made me doubt…
thanks

1 Like