Where to get a good Trim Wheel?

Hi there!

I love flying VFR in GA Planes with my XBOX-Controller for PC.

But the one thing that bugs me most is trimming the plane via Keyboard or Streamdeck-Buttons.

Do you know any hardware trim wheel device that works with MSFS?

I looked into Honeycombs Throttle Quadrant - but it is an overkill for me.
I’am just interested in a comfortable hardware solution for trimming.

I ended up making one. I used this video as a starter:

I choose to use a ten turn 10K potentiometer and a joystick circuit board. The pot was connected up as a joystick axis which you can assign to the trim axis in the simulator.

What I like about a ten turn pot is it almost perfectly matches the amount of travel you have on a real Cessna 172.

Mark

2 Likes
2 Likes

I don’t have a trim wheel yet, but I set pitch trim with the Xbox One controller. On the default setting it’s:

• hold down Y and press Up/Down on the d-pad to adjust trim

It can be hard to get a read on your current position without looking to check the wheel or the meter in external camera view, though.

I had the Honeycomb Bravo on order and realised it was overkill (and the size didn’t work for my environment) so went for the multi panel below which brings many other useful things too.

The scalar for the trim wheel still needs to be adjusted as at the moment you need many turns, it has been acknowledged by @Tr1cky (from Logitech) to be fixed in a future driver release.

I don’t own one of those Flight Velocity trim Wheels but from what I read it does not use an axis. Movement of the wheel causes up / down trim button activity, like what you might map to a yoke rocker switch. Frankly I prefer using a joystick axis for trim, I think it is much more realistic particularly for aircraft like the C172 where the trim tab is directly connected to trim wheel with a cable.

Mark

Worth a punt, the Saitek/Logitech trime wheel if you can find one cheaply, but the Logitech Multi panel has a trim wheel too and the functions afforded by the rest of the box makes it a bargain. I have both and the wheel is first choice, but the panel is superb.

While I have a Saitek Cessna trim wheel from many years ago (Before Logitech bought them out and discontinued it), my son was looking for one so I bought the mini trim wheel from Desktop Aviatior, https://www.desktopaviator.com/Products/Model_2700/index.htm and then built a housing for it and gave it to him last Christmas. He says it works perfectly in MSFS.

1 Like

The Bravo throttle’s trim wheel is legit. I love it. If you have the means I highly recommend.

1 Like

Thanks for all your kind input!

The Saitek Panel and the Flight Velocity Wheel seem to be good options.
Unfortunately they seem to be sold out everywhere in europe.

Well, one have to have patience in these times.
Hopefully they will solve driver and sensibility issues with these devices.

The Bravo Quadrant is really cool - but this is also sold out for know.

Thanks for the advice with mapping the trim to the controller - i will try that in the mean time :slight_smile:

Have Cessna Wheel. Used it for years in FSX. It connected to MSFS without problems.

I am tired of trimming with joystick buttons. It’s so awkward and frustrating. I’d really like one with a wheel or slider that can be linked to the trim axis.

But it’s very hard to buy one that’s ready made. Saitek used to have a standalone trim wheel but that’s not even available on Ebay. Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant has embedded a trim wheel, but I heard it can only be assigned to trim buttons, not axis. Will that be a big problem? Can any of the sliders of THRUSTMASTER TCA Quadrant be used as a trim wheel?

Are there any other commercial choices out there? I can’t DIY and I don’t have the time.
Thank you for any suggestion in advance.

2 Likes

I bought the Bravo for the trim wheel and “in my opinion”, is no better than using joystick buttons. As a simmer with a PPL the lack of a realistic elevator trim is one of my biggest frustrations with this sim/game. I have finally given up and am using the Altitude hold on the Bravo auto pilot even though for me it is cheating as I have never used an auto pilot in a Cessna 172

3 Likes

Thank you for the opinion from your experience! I was so attracted by the Bravo for the trim wheel, but I mostly fly Cessna myself so it’s an overkill. Now that its trim wheel is not very good I will be more likely to give it up.

Has anyone tried the Saitek Cessna Trimwheel?

I was considering the Flight Velocity trim wheel, but realised it simply sends incremental “trim up / down” commands every few degrees of rotation, so that put me off big time.

Ended up building my own instead. (Not really recommended as it takes tons of time, especially since I just had to motorise it as well)

I would imagine that it used the buttons too rather than an axis. I don’t understand why HoneyComb could not have used an Axis 7 for the trim wheel rather than assigning buttons.

I use an extra Saitek Pro Quadrant with one axis for trim. Works great.

I’ve bought a used Saitek Multi Panel. It has controls for AP, Flaps and a small trim wheel.

on that note - has anyone found a good solution for trim in the game? it’s probably my most frustrating “flight” issue right now…

I’m using the “electric trim” switch on the Alpha and it’s super jerky - like: nothing, nothing, nothing, 10 degrees nose up!!! Makes it hard to fly smoothly or make minor adjustments.

XP11 is smooth on trim with the same hardware. ( and I think P3D was as well, but it’s been ages since I’ve fired it up )

With the Alpha and Bravo you first you gotta solve the acceleration bug issue and then the Bravo trim wheel is fantastic to use

Before I got the bravo I used one of the black toggles on the Alpha yoke and that worked great too; smooth as so I think you guys that are having problems are suffering from the acceleration bug from caused but the Alpha/Bravo rocker switches that always stay on

2 Likes