Where to get more scenery objects than what the SDK includes?

Thanks, downloaded MCX and found it’s a very easy way to convert.

Now going to try and get the model into MSFS using the above advice :grin:

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!

Steve

I think your object has to be marked, i think it was strg+A

Yeah you have to select all the objects you want exported first. Took me ages to figure that one out.

I hit this problem recently with Blender only outputting the xml.
Seems whilst the utube instructions of BennyBoy and the like, they miss some important items. I bumbled around and couldn’t get texture nor the gltf files until I found that you have to enter the full xml file name including the .xml part. Also you don’t need the option directly underneath to say include selected object and the other one. It does it anyway. Seems after these 3 things it started working (again). Btw make sure any texture is 2048x2048 etc (double) else the textures won’t output.

Dave’s Crooked Library, www.flightsim.to

I tried with blender and im not satisfied but now I know it’s possible

Make sure you install Blender with the Khronos/MSFS GLB 2.0 addin.

If you do that, you open .BLEND Blender files, or import .OBJ files in Blender. From Blender, you can export the 3D model to GLTF+XML. There are a lot of sources for free 3d models, here are some,

https://free3d.com/
http://www.sweethome3d.com/freeModels.jsp

1 Like

You can use 3rd party libraries. Available for free in flightsim.to, TAB Scenery > Libraries

Yes. There are lots of freeware scenery packs available on flightsim.to
Just use the search function and search for Object Library.

Here’s a list of some that have some really great objects (Open every link, the previews don’t do any of them justice), there’s even a couple of curved roof hangars in the first link:

Object library with 150+ models ranging from towers hangers terminals to cones

Mikea.at - AssetPack

Dave’s Crooked Library

Dave’s 3D People Library

Mikea.at - Airport Markings

Dave’s 3D animals Library

Windy Things

BeeKay-Pack1 v5.0

JHScenery Master Library

TurtleTank’s Scenery Developer Objects and Material Library

Emerald Object Library

The best thing is, if you read the readme’s. you’ll find that most if not all of these links allow you to use their objects in your projects. (As long as you’re making freeware)

Even more here: Libraries Sceneries for Microsoft Flight Simulator | MSFS | Flightsim.to

1 Like

While we’re at it, this is a good one

Hi All,

My files doesn’t show off in the Scenery menu in the Editor. So just to be sure of the structure of the folders we need to create in our project folder, here is what I understood of the discussion (I tried to find another model folder as example but got no luck):

In Mysceneyname folder:

PackageSources/
modellib/
MyModelname/
Mymodelname.Bin
Mymodelname.Gltf
Mymodelname.Xml
Texture/
All the texture files of the model

In other words:
PackageSources/modellib/MyModelname/Mymodelname.Bin and Gltf and Xml
PackageSources/modellib/MyModelname/Texture/All the texture files

I also the suggested sequence to open the Scenery in MSFS, save it, Build All, close MSFS, copy the scenery in the Community folder, reopen MSFS, try to find the model in the Scenery filter in the Editor, but nothing. Maybe the sequence is wrong too.

Thanks !!

This is an example with a test model inside which should work and build fine - MyFSProjects

Normally the problem is the input and output path for the modellib in the inspector so look at that in this project.

Either copy that or simply put your own information in this project and use it for your own.

Thanks PinkPanteees
I have almost the same structure. Except that in PackageSources you have another folder with your scenery name and than the modellib and scenery folders.

I’ll add this folder and try. Will check also in the inspector.

It’s where you point the inspector that is important more than the actual folder structure, though I’m sure there are things that are bad for performance.

You could probably have a much stranger folder structure. It doesn’t matter as long as the inspector is looking in the right places.

Ok,
The AssetDir was pointing on Pasckagesource/scene while my object is in Packagesource/modellib

I made it point at a higher level to just Packagesource/ but I still can’t find the object in the Scenery filter

Would it be in the SimObject filter ? Can’t check quick since I have a freeze cliking on it except if I empty my community folder, except for the scenery and a few others.

It should be packagesource\modellib\

Check the output as well. I normally do ‘scenery\modellibname’

You may as well just put your own information in that download. Delete the existing package, xml and models and put your own in. The structure works.

This is the scenery file : https://www.dropbox.com/s/26pquur7w747c2n/CSP8%20Lac%20Sept-Iles%20seaplane.zip?dl=0

I may effectively reuse your structure.

Ok. You don’t have a modellib set up in your inspector at all.

Also a lot of your textures are the wrong size. They need to be on the 4/8/16/32/64/128/256/512/1024/2048/4096 scale or the sim won’t process the textures.

For example many of yours were 886x886 or 340x340 when they need to be 1024x1024 or 512x512 etc. Or a 894x3800 needs to be 1024x4096

It doesn’t matter if you resize them after you have completed your model.

They should look the same in the sim even if they look distorted in the texture folder, because sometimes you need to make big changes to the measurements to make them fit in that scale.

This is the project now and it should work OK - CSP8 Lac Sept-Iles seaplane

You should also give the modellib a unique name for each project which I’ve done.

1 Like

Wow! Thanks veryyy much.

I will check that as soon as I land this Boeing on the other side of the Pacific.

And yes, I didn’t want to take time on the texture size before ensuring I could make the model works.

Hi PinkPanteees, it works! But I can’t figure how you did.

I see that the modellib is now listed in the Project Editor. Did you do Add a package and Custom?
Saw also as you said that you renamed the folder modellib to a specific name.
Thanks again.